Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Inverted flight in a C152??

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman74 View Post
    Hi Goran,

Yes that worked; cheers for that!!

I can still glide upside down for quite some time (if one is that sad), which does seem a little bit strange, but having the cut out now makes a noticeable difference.

All these hidden secrets, LOL.

Cheers

Dom
    Oh, there are plenty of those little secrets around Planemaker. I've had quite a few "ah ha" moments over the last few years.
    Last edited by GoranM; 05-22-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Guess what I tried...
    (I had to.)
    7 minutes and counting...

http://tinyurl.com/p4wx2xy

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman74 View Post
    I can still glide upside down for quite some time (if one is that sad), which does seem a little bit strange...
    What's strange about gliding upside down? (Other than hanging from your seat belt might get uncomfortable after a while.) The wing can generate lift in either direction. It's just more efficient "upwards" because that's the direction the camber goes. You're just going to have to push hard on the yoke to maintain the necessary negative AoA, because you can't trim that far.

X-Plane doesn't model all the complexity of the effects of negative G on the engine - it just shuts it off. In real life, the various components of the fuel system will stop delivering fuel, so how long the engine keeps running depends on the design. If the engine is fuel injected, it will continue to get fuel until the supply lines from the tanks have been emptied.

The other problem, of course, is the oil system. Typical oil sumps only work right side up. Run the engine upside-down and you'll lose oil pressure. Keep that up long enough, and the engine will stop - permanently.

- Andy

4. Default

Hi guys.

My humble addition to the inverted flying thing...

It is recommended to set up the aircraft in PlaneMaker to withstand the correct negative and positive G's. And, set up the simulation to tear-up wings and flying surfaces when over maneuvering the plane.

Non aerobatic airplanes usually can hold up to 3 - 4 positive G's, and 1 - 0 negative G's (cautioned with "no negative G's maneuvers).

While flying upside down, straight and level, the negative G is (-1). Most of the non aerobatic general aviation airplanes can't stand the negative forces. It's wings and structure are not supposed/designed to hold these loads. Another thing about non-aerobatic planes is that their control throws (elevator) and CG won't support it to maintain level while upside down.

Correct setup of the airplane/simulation is most important. It's a garbage-in-garbage-out system. If the plane is poorly configured, it will fly poorly...
    Last edited by JetManHuss; 05-25-2013 at 05:42 AM.

I still find it surprising that Adam hasn't come back to reply to my responses and, especially, the screenshot I posted.
    On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

One could go round and round in circles fishing for an argument

We all have bait:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	747-400 United_6dd.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	148701

Both simulators are not real life; both simulators are fun, both simulators have their own strengths and weaknesses and both of them are loved dearly by their community.

Enjoy them for what the are......0 and 1's floating across your screen; not real, but damn fun.

From an old timer who's been upside down more times than most Cessna pilots

W33

Yeah, that's very true: both sims are great and they both are just simulators, not real life! I like the fact that sometimes they come so close to real flying that you can forget it's actually just a PC!

So, callmecapt (should I really call you captain?): I don't understand where is the problem, I expressed my opinion, you expressed yours and that's it. No reason to keep the subject.

Asus X550V
    Windows 8, Intel i5, NVIDIA GeForce GT720M, 6 GB/RAM

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by W33 View Post
    One could go round and round in circles fishing for an argument

Both simulators are not real life; both simulators are fun, both simulators have their own strengths and weaknesses and both of them are loved dearly by their community.

Enjoy them for what the are......0 and 1's floating across your screen; not real, but damn fun.

From an old timer who's been upside down more times than most Cessna pilots

W33
    Hi There.

But there is an argument. Sorry...

It is simple as that:

(Engine operation setting for inverted flight in XPlane is simple and explainded in the begining of this thread).

First:
    Make sure that the aircraft parameters are set up correctly in PlaneMaker.
    For this argument, go to "standart/viewopint" window, and on the left side check the parameters. For the inverted flight issue check the G's (negative).

Second:
    Start XPlane, and go the "settings/operations and warnings" window. check these boxes: "remove flying surfaces in over G", "remove flying surfaces in over speed".

Now, load your aircraft and give it a try.

Here is a little demonstration I made a minute ago. X-Plane 10, cessna 172:

Quote Originally Posted by JetManHuss View Post
    Hi There.

But there is an argument. Sorry...

It is simple as that:

(Engine operation setting for inverted flight in XPlane is simple and explainded in the begining of this thread).

First:
    Make sure that the aircraft parameters are set up correctly in PlaneMaker.
    For this argument, go to "standart/viewopint" window, and on the left side check the parameters. For the inverted flight issue check the G's (negative).

Second:
    Start XPlane, and go the "settings/operations and warnings" window. check these boxes: "remove flying surfaces in over G", "remove flying surfaces in over speed".
    The argument is not there because neither simulator can fully replicate the outside environment of real life.

Please remember that these are simulators; trying to simulate certain aspects of a flight environment.

Flying surfaces in a real aircraft have multiple stress points and each one degrades differently over time. To have a part of an aircraft suddenly snap clean off with surgical precision without impacting adjacent parts, just doesn't happen.

Like I said before; both simulators have the ability to simulate certain aspects of flight better than the other, but neither is perfect.

I'm not going to list their attributes over the other because it would simply cause a flame war (like most of these threads turn in to).

Enjoy both, because both are very good at simulating flight.

W33

Quote Originally Posted by Adam24 View Post
    Yeah, that's very true: both sims are great and they both are just simulators, not real life! I like the fact that sometimes they come so close to real flying that you can forget it's actually just a PC!
    I'm glad we can agree on that, which is why I was confused by your original 2 posts.
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...17#post1770317

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...23#post1770323

Now, all of a sudden, it's just a flight sim when you are proven wrong in your original reply to the OP.

So, callmecapt (should I really call you captain?):
    Only if I can call you Adam24

I don't understand where is the problem, I expressed my opinion, you expressed yours and that's it. No reason to keep the subject.
    I guess your definition of an opinion differs greatly from mine. When I make an opinion, I make sure I research any background info before voicing an opinion. I don't say things like... "Well, it seems that X-Plane isn't as realistic as Laminar says " or "What? No! That wasn't me!
    X-Plane rocks and it definitely doesn't let you fly inverted in a C152 for 4 minutes!"
    Last edited by GoranM; 05-25-2013 at 06:53 AM.