Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avro lancaster for fsx

Default Avro lancaster for fsx

I have been searching Google etc for a FREEWARE version of the above.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Dave Garwood is the only one I know of - but that was for FS2004 - should be in the library. It may or may not port to FSX

I've flown the FS2004 Avro Lancastrian by Manfred Jahn and Paul Edwards from EGLL to SAEZ in several stages in FSX.

The base model converted fine and I only had to make sure all the textures were DXT3, and fix the prop alpha.

The base model is available on Avsim.

Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

There's an FSX dambusters pack here in the library that comes with a Lancaster. It's a portover from FS2004 but made to work in FSX. Haven't tried it myself, but you coulde try that one. Search for FSX dambuster it's the anniversery pack pt 1 and 2

Harro

Thanks for the replies.

Have downloaded the files and now need to read the installation instructions carefully to make sure I understand what I need to do. It's a long time since I dealt with any FSX add-ons so I am bit rusty.

Hi,
    Here's a Lancaster link:
    http://dfs2.flightsim.com/download.p..._or_r6_fs9.zip
    The included PDF states that a two part version for FSX is forthcoming. It was scheduled for March 2013 but apparently has been delayed. There is an "Other" folder included with this version that includes FSX prop textures and installation instructions.
    It's well worthwhile for FSX as is.
    Jim F.

7. Default

chris18p the best freeware Lancaster is the one supplied with the Dam Busters 70th Anniversary packages (available here in the library). I am an FSX only user and you will find that this model and the payware model are both port overs from FS2004. The Dambusters version is however the specially modified lanc not a normal Bomber Command Lancaster, it is very good and works fine however it has limited functionality as far as the VC is concerned and you will have to use key commands to move about the aircraft interior. Performance is quite accurate and is fun to fly in the sim. The Payware version available here at the shop is only marginally better but again apart from giving you a post WWII French Maritime version the others are all special operations Lancasters. As per the freeware version VC functionality is limited and don't expect modern navaids to assist but you can cheat and most include the GPS which I allow as far as authenticity is concerned and treat as my onboard navigator.

For all of them the outside textures as viewed from the cockpit need a little cleaning up and refining but are pretty good and once you get yourself set up in the cockpit are just what the real Lancaster would have been like to sit in and fly.

What you won't get is a feel for the weight of the aeroplane on the ground and the taxying issues with a tailwheel undercarriage, it would have been a real handful and required heaps of rudder and assymetric thrust to move around on a tight airport. Both have very good sound and very realistic.

You should try the DamBusters packaged flights as they give you really good training runs and later on include AI Lancasters at some of the airports, in fact the DamBuster packages for FSX are highly commended by me for anyone who wants to try some really challenging flying in a big bomber from WWII or any other aeroplane for that matter.

Thanks again for the reply, and especially oldcrusty for the detailed explanation.

I have looked at the readme files for both versions and have to confess to being a bit confused. As I said it's long time since I messed about with FS addons.

There are references to Scampton in one of the versions and another says to copy files to the Aircraft folder but I can't see that in my FSX installation.

Will have to look again and make sure I understand what I need to do unless someone can give me an idiots guide to installing.

If it's only the lanc you want it's not to difficult:

in part1 of the package you'll see a Gauges folder. Inside is a zip folder unzip and put the 11 files inside this folder in the Gauges folder of your main FSX install folder.
    Also in part1 is a SimObjects_Airplanes folder. Inside are 3 folders. 2 lancasters to fly and one for AI only. These can be put in your main FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder. You don't need the AI as it only has use when you install the whole anniversary package...
    Now you should have 2 flyable Lancs in your FSX.
    Part 2 of the package holds 1 more Lanc and one more for AI. Simply put in your main FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes

I do recommend the whole package, but it does require much reading to properly install, but it's a great pack.
    I'm still in the training process, but can't wait to get going and bomb some dams in Germany.

Harro

Thanks Hammo

Been reading the installation.txt again.

If I decide to go ahead with the full package how can I tell what scenery I am running for the Derwent dams (East of Sheffield) so determine if I install #5 or #7.Also how do I put the 2 selected in a higher order than any VFR or Scampton airfield scenery.

Chris