Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS9 Add-on scenery won't add to scenery library

Default FS9 Add-on scenery won't add to scenery library

Hi all:

I was running FS9 and had a crash (complete computer freeze-up requiring reboot). After rebooting, I went to add a new scenery to my scenery library. I followed the procedure in the FS9 docs (as I have done for years), but the scenery was not added to the scenery library. My guess was the scenery.cfg file was corrupted by the crash. I renamed it, started up FS9, and it generated a new scenery.cfg. Didn't solve the problem. I then used the FS9 discs to do a repair install, but this is not an option with my version of FS9.

FS9 is also not showing up in the registry. I did a default install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9.

Does any one have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

I can add scenery by manually entering scenery in the scenery.cfg file, but this is a pain.

Thanks in advance.

JD

System: Intel Core Duo 2 processor at 3.33 ghz, 6 gig ram, 512meg video card

Most advice is to install FS9.1 outside of C:\Program Files (x86) to avaiod permission issues.

Your addon scenery problem..... after selecting the scenery folder and pressing ok you need to left click inside the white folder area for the scenery to be added.

Peter

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Most advice is to install FS9.1 outside of C:\Program Files (x86) to avaiod permission issues.

Your addon scenery problem..... after selecting the scenery folder and pressing ok you need to left click inside the white folder area for the scenery to be added.

Peter
    The above only applies when using Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    This it not necessary for windows XP.
    What I usually do is to put any new scenery in the ADDON SCENERY FOLDER than restart FS.
    You must restart FS unless you want to manually change the scenery cfg file which is not the best way to do things.
    When you restart FS you should see it adding new data base files.
    Using the manual method you have to make sure you get the numbering sequence right. By default if FS adds new scenery it is always put at the end of the scenery cfg file and the next logical number is used to define the new area.
    You must show the complete path needed to get to the new area.
    Otherwise you will get a error message. Which is why using the manual method is not the best way to add scenery.
    If you get the syntax wrong it will not work
    Last edited by garybuska; 05-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    Gary M Buska
    ASUS PZ68 PRO Gen 3 12 gigs ram (1800mhz) GTX550TI video card I7 INTEL QUAD CORE processor Windows 8 64 bit.

Are you sure you are using FS9 and not FSX?
    Quote Originally Posted by elmo313 View Post
    My guess was the scenery.cfg file was corrupted by the crash. I renamed it, started up FS9, and it generated a new scenery.cfg.
    No you did not. FS9 will not start without a scenery.cfg in the root FS9 folder and FS9 will not generate a new scenery.cfg. FSX will.

I then used the FS9 discs to do a repair install, but this is not an option with my version of FS9.
    Or anybody else's. FSX does have a repair option.

FS9 is also not showing up in the registry. I did a default install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9.
    Have you by chance recently uninstalled FSX?

The uninstaller for FSX will ruin the FS9 registry key.

If so, go to flight1.com and get the free registry tool, it will repair your registry.

What OS are you using?

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do?
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by garybuska View Post
    What I usually do is to put any new scenery in the ADDON SCENERY FOLDER than restart FS.
    All due respect, adding all your addon scenery to Addon Scenery\scenery and Addon Scenery\texture is bad advice.

Doing so will make updating and troubleshooting impossible, not to mention problems with files being overwritten.

If this is not what you meant, can you give a more clear explanation?

peace,
    the Bean
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

Mr. Bean:

Thank you for the information on the registry repair tool.

I'm a Junior member. I make stupid mistakes, and mix up FSX and FS9. Both were on my system. I mixed them up. Didn't pay enough attention. It was a newbie mistake.

I uninstalled FSX. My machine won't run it. I uninstalled FS9 as well. I reinstalled it. Registry problem solved. Scenery problem still there.

I use Windows 7 64-bit. All my add-on scenery is kept in a file folder outside of FS9. I've always done it that way, and it has always worked in the past. Now it doesn't. Right click, left click, doesn't matter. Scenery won't install unless I go to Scenery.cfg and manually type it in.

JD

Try right-clicking on the FS9.exe and "Run a Administrator".

As already mentioned, it is best to install FS outside of the Program Files folder as Windows provides extra protection to that/those folders making editing files in those folders challenging.

No need to apologize for mistakes, we have all been there.

peace,
    the Bean
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

I can't explain this, but...

Used cut/paste function to move FS9 install from Program Files (x86) to *:\Flight Simulator 9.

Ran Flight1 registry repair tool.

Opened FS9.

Added a new scenery through the scenery library.

It worked. Don't know why, but it did.

Problem solved.

JD

9. Default

Because files/folders/programs in the Program Files folders have special security precautions by the newer OS's.

Hope this helps,
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

10. Default

There is no such thing as a stupid mistake here we are all human and there fore make mistakes. I make some real boners at times.
    As for your problem.
    Did you use the default location when you installed FS9? If so that could be part of your problem. When using Windows 7 Or Windows 8 it is strongly advised that you do not install in the default location due to the fact that Windows 7 & 8 protect files in the Program files area.
    Also If you are putting scenery outside of the fs9 folder than I think the only way to add it is the way you are doing it because FS only looks in the area where you installed FS9 at.
    If you look closely at the scenery cfg file you will notice that you have to provide the complete path for every area you have.
    You can do it this way if you desire but it is not the easiest way to add scenery.
    Gary M Buska
    ASUS PZ68 PRO Gen 3 12 gigs ram (1800mhz) GTX550TI video card I7 INTEL QUAD CORE processor Windows 8 64 bit.