Thread: SIDS and STARS

Default SIDS and STARS

I have the PMDG 737ngx
    I go to the FMC
    and when I go to DEP/ARR then DEP Page I select the runway for departure but on the right side it shows SIDS!
    and when I go to DEP/ARR then ARR Page I select the type of approach (ILS, NDB, VOR, ......) and on the right side it shows STARS!

What is SIDS and STARS!

standard instrument departures....standard arrivals.

Does FSX Have that
    or I can only see that on a chart

SID: Standard Instrument Departure
    STAR: Standard Terminal Arrival Route

Basically SIDs and STARs are the connections between an airport and the airways used by aircraft.

A SID will do the same as ATC when they give you vectors to your enroute plan after take off.
    A STAR will do the same as ATC when they vector you from your route to final.

Every airport has SIDs and STARs which are published on airport charts. They are used to reduce load on ATC at busy airports.
    So traffic can follow these routes in and out of the airport instead of flying at random from an to the AP, reducing chance of collision.

Harro

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vasco2305 View Post
    I have the PMDG 737ngx
    I go to the FMC
    and when I go to DEP/ARR then DEP Page I select the runway for departure but on the right side it shows SIDS!
    and when I go to DEP/ARR then ARR Page I select the type of approach (ILS, NDB, VOR, ......) and on the right side it shows STARS!

What is SIDS and STARS!
    When you type "google", what do you see?

Blog Entries

No offence, but you shouldn't have bought such a complex plane without knowing what SIDS and STARS are...

This is why I stay away from PMDG..great product, but I don't have the time to learn the plane..
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6770 graphics card Windows 7

its is really the only think that i dont know on the PMDG

Quote Originally Posted by djadlib View Post
    SID: Standard Instrument Departure
    STAR: Standard Terminal Arrival Route

Basically SIDs and STARs are the connections between an airport and the airways used by aircraft.

A SID will do the same as ATC when they give you vectors to your enroute plan after take off.
    A STAR will do the same as ATC when they vector you from your route to final.

Every airport has SIDs and STARs which are published on airport charts. They are used to reduce load on ATC at busy airports.
    So traffic can follow these routes in and out of the airport instead of flying at random from an to the AP, reducing chance of collision.

Harro
    Ohh, thanks

Note that the FSX flight planner does not include SIDs and STARs; you canmake flight plans that include them with a flight planner program like FSCommander or Plan G. The latter is free (shareware), but IIRC it includes STARS but not SIDs.FSCommander has a free full-featured demo, but the demo does not allow saving flight plans.

Henri