Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't see through VC glass

1. Default Can't see through VC glass

I'll make this question short and sweet to keep it simple.

I downloaded a B-26 marauder for FSX, marauder-1.zip. After installing, I noticed that in the virtual cockpit, the glass has a reflective texture that is impossible to see through. I have had this problem with other planes, but never this bad.

I did some research and found out many other people have had this problem, and the solution seems to be to invert the alpha channel for the glass texture using a program called DXTbmp. I downloaded the program, and did what I thought was right by following some instructions I found online, but still have the same problem.

So I went crazy and inverted the alpha channel on every single file relating to "glass" in the B-26.

Same problem.

Can someone please help identify specifically which file I should be editing and whether or not I'm doing it right? Any help ay all would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Is it only under certain light conditions for the VC cockpit. I did the download and install and sitting on the runway I can see through the VC cockpit glass OK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B26.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	148021

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b26 VC.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	148022
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Take everything I say with a grain of salt and maybe some pepper! There's no such thing as too much garlic!

3. Default

If I remember correctly, this B-26 did come with installation software. I didn't use it, as I just copied and pasted the plane to my /airplanes folder. I can't imagine that could have anything to do with the glass textures, but I wonder if it could be that simple.

There was no install software. All I did was to put the Effects that were in the Effects folder inside of the aircraft folder into FSX/Effects and the put the aircraft folder into Simobjects/Airplanes. You may have missed the Effects folder, which may be the problem.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Take everything I say with a grain of salt and maybe some pepper! There's no such thing as too much garlic!

Hi,
    I checked this out also and didn't have a glass problem. There is no special installation. As in the image mrzippy submitted the panel background is a mess though. It seems like there's a missing bmp but I don't know enough to fix it. Also the eyepoint is way to the right and forward of where it should be and correcting it leads to all sorts of problems when viewing different directions in the VC. It's really a well done simulation and a shame that it has these shortcomings.
    Jim F.

Hi,
    Found the original FS2004 file on which this is based. No glass problem with it when installed into FSX but the panel is all reflection also and the eyepoint is the same. I readjusted the eyepoint so it's okay and traced the reflective panel to the texture file "B26vcii.bmp" but I don't know how to fix it. Time to learn about Alpha Channels methinks.
    Jim F.

It might not be an alpha issue Jim. Some FS9 VCs just show up that way.
    Back when I was working on the Falcon 50, a couple of guys figured it out.

[VCockpit01]
    file_1024=panel_VC1.bmp
    size_mm=1024,1024
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$vcg1
    visible=1

Replace "background_color=0,0,0" in the panel.cfg with a bitmap pointer, create a background.bmp, and put that *.bmp in the panel folder. It takes quite a bit of work to get the "wanted" transparent portions of the new bitmap located, and, giving it a semblance of a panel isn't easy.
    Ya gotta really want the plane to spend that much time on it...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Hi,
    I'm afraid I don't know enough about FSX graphics to implement your suggestion. Please provide enough info so I can download the unmodified and modified aircraft so I can check this out to see how the changes were made. Links preferably or filenames at least. I don't even know what a Falcon 50 is so please don't hesitate to provide lots of info. I won't be insulted. Thanks in advance.
    Jim F.

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    It might not be an alpha issue Jim. Some FS9 VCs just show up that way.
    Back when I was working on the Falcon 50, a couple of guys figured it out.

[VCockpit01]
    file_1024=panel_VC1.bmp
    size_mm=1024,1024
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$vcg1
    visible=1

Replace "background_color=0,0,0" in the panel.cfg with a bitmap pointer, create a background.bmp, and put that *.bmp in the panel folder. It takes quite a bit of work to get the "wanted" transparent portions of the new bitmap located, and, giving it a semblance of a panel isn't easy.
    Ya gotta really want the plane to spend that much time on it...Don

The FS9 and FSX Falcon 50 downloads are here:
    Aquitaine Simulation website
    On the left side menu of the main page...
    "Aide & Téléchargements"
    Click "Téléchargements", the FSX Falcon 50 package download window appears.
    On the left menu Click "Avions FS2004" for the original Eric Dantès FS9 Falcon 50 installer.

Those FSX VC Bitmaps are all custom made using bits and pieces, scaled, morphed, and otherwise adapted, from the original VC Textures.
    Like I said, you really must want the plane.
    It took 4 of us 3 months to get the Falcon Panel and VC completed, but, that included coding all new instruments too...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Hi,
    When I click on either version to download I get a message saying the item is either no longer available or I do not have permission to download. There is a log in area but I can't find a section on registration. Very frustrating. Any ideas? I use Google Chrome which automatically translates so I don't think I'm missing anything which would be obvious to someone viewing the site without the need for translation.
    This B-26 exhibits several graphic problems that I've seen in other FS9 aircraft when used in FSX. Pinpointing the cause is my main interest.
    Jim F.