Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Editing FSX bgl files.

Default Editing FSX bgl files.

Hi. I have an FSX airport scenery bgl file which has one building in the middle of the active runway. How can I edit the bgl file, and remove the offending obstruction. I ave some pretty mad passengers who have been waiting for weeks.
    Hope someone can help me.

Default Airport/ Add-on? Location? With that info, one of us can take a look and help devise a plan of action...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Don. It is not a default airport but a third party add-on of LGSA in Crete where I used to live for some years near Souda Bay. I know the Airport well, and was anxious to recreate my memories in FSX. The airport layout is great, and reflects exactly what is there in terms of the US and Greek military areas as well as the Civilian side. Just one prob. In between (and not on) the two 29/11 runways there is a huge structure which in reality does not exist. I want to blow it up.
    In any event, I would really like to know how to do this myself in the long term. In the short term, any help would be appreciated. I feel sure there must be some programs to allow me to view and edit these scenery files!
    Regards
    Laurence

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesbolton View Post
    Don. It is not a default airport but a third party add-on of LGSA in Crete where I used to live for some years near Souda Bay. I know the Airport well, and was anxious to recreate my memories in FSX. The airport layout is great, and reflects exactly what is there in terms of the US and Greek military areas as well as the Civilian side. Just one prob. In between (and not on) the two 29/11 runways there is a huge structure which in reality does not exist. I want to blow it up.
    In any event, I would really like to know how to do this myself in the long term. In the short term, any help would be appreciated. I feel sure there must be some programs to allow me to view and edit these scenery files!
    Regards
    Laurence
    As Don said above, if you'd give us the file name and the location to download it, perhaps we could help you learn...
    If it is payware, you may be on your own, or you could contact the author.

Hi Laurence,

I'll just chime in here, but wait for a response from Don because whatever he suggests will probably be better.

But you sound to me like a candidate for Airport Design Editor. It's free (my favorite price) and virtually everybody who messes around with scenery swears by it. But I will tell you this; from my experience, scenery editing and development is a backbreaking, heartbreaking experience which in the end is rewarding, but there will be an Odyssey in front of you. Don't expect it to be easy. But I believe it will achieve the goal you're looking for, and maybe a whole lot more. It will test your mettle, that's for sure. Good luck!

Tres Pierson

Hey Laurence,

The advice you've received sounds good. I'll provide an alternative for your consideration. I'll attempt to answer your initial question, "How can I edit the bgl file, and remove the offending obstruction." as generically as possible. First, you need to have the SDK installed and the Object Placement Tool enabled. Second, you need to convert the BGL file that contains the scenery to an XML file. The free "BGL2XML" program will do this. If the offending scenery is currently installed and has been activated it must first be disabled in the Scenery Library; DO NOT simply delete the scenery files prior to disabling or your Scenery.cfg file will be messed up. Next, within FSX you go to the scenery location and using the Object Placement Tool (OPT) load the XML file and you'll be able to make any changes to the scenery you desire. And finally, you convert the edited XML file to a BGL file and activate it. The Abacus book "Tips, Tricks and Trips" has a section called "Man on a Mission" which involves using the OPT to add a simple scenery object and make it a permanent part of the scenery. I bought the book mistakenly believing their description that the section involved mission creation, which it doesn't, but is an extremely good primer on adding and manipulating scenery.

Jim F.

Yeah, Tres I use ADE9X too.

If the scenery is compiled into a single *.bgl it makes it easier. ADE9X will not open all *.bgls. The *.bgl must contain an airport.
    If you open the Airport.bgl and the building is not included, then Jim's method may be easier.
    Using ADE, if the building is in the Airport.bgl, highlight it...Delete...Compile...Done

If the building is a default leftover, run FSX and ADE. "Connect" ADE to FSX, and move the plane(Slew) to the center of the building.
    Go back to ADE, move to Airplane, then you can make an exclusion rectangle that covers that area. Save, Compile.

Before editing anything...Back it up...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

Rockin Robin - the file is cretewest.zip. The building is the large one between the two runways at the western end of the airport opposite the north/south taxiway.

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesbolton View Post
    Rockin Robin - the file is cretewest.zip. The building is the large one between the two runways at the western end of the airport opposite the north/south taxiway.
    "cretewest.zip"? Can't find it anywhere. Where did you get it?
    The closest matches I could find is Toni Agramont's crete.zip for FS9, and crete-1.zip for FSX...Don

Hi,

I downloaded "cretewest.zip" from Avsim. As I recall it was down the page a ways from some other Greek scenery. The BGL is "LgsaInstantScenery" As I hadn't done it in a while I followed the procedure I recommended and deleted the offending building but discovered that after recompiling most if not all of the other scenery objects had been replaced with different objects. My guess is that I need that "Instant Scenery" library. I probably won't follow up because most of my flying is low and slow and "photo realistic" scenery just doesn't do it for me. The distant hills here look pretty good though. As I said it was my guess that I'm simply missing the needed scenery objects and would appreciate any specific info as to what's actually going on here.
    Jim F.