Thread: How to check the wind direction/speed before approaching small strips

Default How to check the wind direction/speed before approaching small strips

When approaching an airfield; larger airfields have ATIS, but small strips, how do you check the wind direction and strength before landing in FSX

2. Default

I don't know if it is the best way but I search on weather pages for airports where you put the ICAO code and gives you weather, visibility, winds, google it

The wind socks in FSX work, and most airfields (even the small ones) have at least one.
    Cheers,
    DHC8 FO

Shift +z will give you the red information at the top of the screen.
    Intel i5-2500K OC 4.5 Ghz,Gigabite P67A-UD3-B3, EVGA GTX 760 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, 128GB SSHD, 750W PSU, FSX Deluxe, Acceleration, Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. MTX5.4c
    Tis this for now anyway. http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1955972

Good question. In real life we overfly the field at about 1000ft AGL and look down to see where the wind sock/ wind tree is pointing, from there we enter the pattern and land on the active runway. By overflying the field you put yourself in a position to enter the pattern on almost any runway, giving yourself an advantage.

Since I'm using AS2012, I simply dial 122.00 on the radio and I get the report from the nearest station.

I think it is also possible to get the info from the map during the flight.
    -----------------------------------------
    Simon

As others have said - RW technique in lieu of available reports is to check the wind sock / wind T / tetrahedron.

If you are flying with real world weather: You can go to http://skyvector.com/airports or similar sites, put in your airport code and pull up the sectional. You will see 'pins' in various locations - maybe at the airport you are going to but if not, select some of the surrounding airports for wind speed and direction. Here's a site you can check out if you need some help with reading METARs: http://www.utexas.edu/depts/grg/kimm...01kmetars.html
    Dan
    www.vfrprophops.com / www.ifrjethops.com
    Win 8, i7 3770 3.9 GHz, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GT630 2 GB mem 42" 1080p FSX w/Accell yoke joystick rudder pedals REX TrackIR-5 FlighSim Commander FSUIPC

Another vote for 122.0 (ActiveSky ATIS), but also looking for the windsock. The windsocks don't always work though. Many Orbx strips have a building with smoke nearby, which is the best guide and quite easy to see.