Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSX won't use specified screen with dual monitors.

Default FSX won't use specified screen with dual monitors.

I have a dual monitor setup, and want to run FSX on a specific screen, as a single full screen display. But no matter what I do, it insists on running on what windows says is my secondary display. Is there any way to force FSX to use a specific monitor in full screen mode?

The reason I am doing this, is that both of my monitors have two devices connected to them. My main PC uses both screens. The right screen is also the output for my second PC, that I want to use for additional FSX programmes. This is the screen that FSX insists on using, which means I can't have that switched to use the output from my second PC.

Normally, you would just choose the relevant device in the settings, but it just gets reset if I try it.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Forgot to add, I am running the two screens from an NVidia GTX660

2. Default

What operating system are you using? You should be able to specify in the FSX cfg file.
    In windows 8 this is a read only file by default so you have to change it.
    The only problem you might have is if you are only using one card to drive both monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by garybuska View Post
    What operating system are you using? You should be able to specify in the FSX cfg file.
    In windows 8 this is a read only file by default so you have to change it.
    The only problem you might have is if you are only using one card to drive both monitors.
    I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I have tried changing the setting in the .cfg file, and it works the first time. After that, it goes back to using the other monitor.

In the .cfg file, I have these lines:-

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 .0.0]
    Mode=1680x1050x32
    TriLinear=1
    AntiAlias=1
    [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 .0.1]
    Mode=1680x1050x32
    TriLinear=1
    AntiAlias=1

It is using the bottom one of the two. I found this out by setting both devices to different settings, and seeing which one it came up with. So this means it is forcing itself onto the secondary monitor, and I have no idea why. When I last had FSX installed, I had an AMD card, and that worked as I expected... but with the NVidia card, it just isn't working the same.

Blog Entries

Try putting a shortcut onto the monitor you want to open it on, if that doesnt work, once it starts drag it onto the monitor you want to run it on, shut it down and restart it. I have my shortcut on my right screen and when it starts up it starts up on the right screen, than it finishes up on my left screen, where I want it. I had to initially drag it there. Now its sticks.
    Intel 4770k@ 4.2 1.225V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

Well I've just tried every combination of opening, dragging and closing. The launcher opens up on the correct screen, but the minute it kicks into full screen mode, it uses the other screen.

The only way I have found I can do it, is to start in full screen, go into windowed mode, drag the window to the other screen, then go back into full screen mode... which works, but I'm sure it shouldn't take this much effort, to get the game on the desired screen.

Before opening FSX move your menu bar to the screen you want FSX to run on..

My menu bar is already on the screen I want to open FSX on, unfortunately that makes no difference.

For example, my menu bar is on Screen 0, when I run FSX, the splash screen shows on screen 1, then the launcher appears on Screen 1. When I click "Fly Now", it goes into full screen mode, on Screen 1.

I have attached images of the three stages of loading... so you can see exactly where each item is displaying. If I drag the launcher to Screen 0 and exit, then the launcher will load back onto Screen 0 next time... but full screen mode will still be on Screen 1. Even the loading progress dialog is shown on Screen 0, so it makes absolutely no sense. Once the game has run on Screen 1, that is where the launcher will end up when it exits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	147153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	147154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	147155  

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC22 View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I have tried changing the setting in the .cfg file, and it works the first time. After that, it goes back to using the other monitor.

In the .cfg file, I have these lines:-

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 .0.0]
    Mode=1680x1050x32
    TriLinear=1
    AntiAlias=1
    [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 .0.1]
    Mode=1680x1050x32
    TriLinear=1
    AntiAlias=1

It is using the bottom one of the two. I found this out by setting both devices to different settings, and seeing which one it came up with. So this means it is forcing itself onto the secondary monitor, and I have no idea why. When I last had FSX installed, I had an AMD card, and that worked as I expected... but with the NVidia card, it just isn't working the same.
    The entries don't look right to me but I'm not certain. I think the 660.0.0 and 660.0.1 should be 660.0 and 660.1.

Maybe?
    Jesse Cochran "JesC"
    "...eyes ever turned skyward."

Alienware Aurora R4, Win7x64, Intel i7-3820 @ 3.6ghz/4.3ghz turbo, 8gb RAM @ 2133hz,
    EVGA/Nvidia GTX770/ACX @4.0gb, 1TB SATA @ 6gb/s, Intel 330 120gb SSD for FSX

Quote Originally Posted by 918JC View Post
    The entries don't look right to me but I'm not certain. I think the 660.0.0 and 660.0.1 should be 660.0 and 660.1.

Maybe?
    Hmmm, now here's where it gets interesting. When I originally started looking at the fsx.cfg file, I had four entries, 660.0, 660.1, 660.0.0 & 660.0.1

Based on what I read in the hardware guide by Paul Johnson, that seemed to make sense, as he said you might have one per screen, and one for each version of DirectX. I originally ran in DirectX 9 and then switched on DirectX 10. So four entries seemed logical.

Something I hadn't done before, was to delete the fsx.cfg file, and start from scratch. Having just done this, it works as it should... until that is, I turn on DirectX 10, and then it stops working. So maybe DirectX 10 adding the extra display lines, is causing the problem. But that means I am forced to run FSX in DirectX 9 mode, which I presume is going to cost me some performance.

I am going to try resinstalling the full DirectX package, just in case installing FSX has caused anything to get corrupted. I will post back later, as this might be of some use, to anyone suffering a similar problem... if there is anyone else that is.

10. Default

Just right click on your desktop, then select "Screen Resolution", go to that page and designate which monitor you want as "PRIMARY", FSX will open on that one