Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking (GPS Like) for Flight Simulator X

1. Cool FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking (GPS Like) for Flight Simulator X

Hello,

I've been developing a new app over the past month or so for 10 inch android tablets that plots your plane on top of Google maps as you fly. I've had a lot of fun learning android programming and I hope there is some interest in something like this. If you want to follow the development I have a blog here:

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/

The software is in final beta testing and I hope to release it to the android store within the next 2 weeks. Here's a quick video walkthrough of what the software offers and a couple of screen grabs.

for some reason the youtube video won't embed. Here's the link to it: http://youtu.be/yeM1UEInDSY

Very nice!

I look forward to giving it a try, and have a few questions I'm sure others would like to ask as well (I have not watched the video).

1. Demo? (Absolutely essential to verify compatibility!)
    2. Price? (EDIT: I see on your blog you are considering $2.99)
    3. Do all the buttons work that you indicate on the display (TRK, PLN, PREV, NEXT, CLR, etc.)

3. Default

Thanks,

1. I will be making a fully functional demo. I'll probably put a 5 or 10 minute time limit on the app per launch but I'll want people to make sure they can run the server software and get everything connected before purchasing. There have been no issues with networks with my beta team but they are only 5 people so the sample size is not huge.

2. I've not yet settled on a price. I'm thinking $2-4. I've had a lot of requests for X-Plane support as well as 7 inch tablet support. I don't have the funds to buy either so the purchase price will go directly to purchasing those 2 products for future development. Now that my son is home my hobby funds are no more

3. Yes all of the buttons that show are functional. The app has 3 main modes. The TRK mode which tracks your plane on the map. The PLN mode which is for free view of the map area as well as creating ad-hoc flight plans. Then there is the GPS mode which ties into the Flight Simulator GPS system. If you have an active flightplan in FSX it will plot it and track to the next waypoint.

The video demo gives a pretty good overview of all of the features. I am still working on adding some overlays to the GPS mode for next waypoint information.

After the first release I'll work on the phone version and then if the funds come in I'll add the X-Plane and 7 inch tablet support.

I also plan to build a another app that is just for the gauges but uses the same server.

Thanks for looking.

4. Default

Sweet! I'd been hoping someone would do something like this for Android. I'll definitely check it out when it becomes available. Might you have a ballpark idea when it might be available?

How does it connect to the PC? Or more specifically, what does the PC need to connect to it? FSUIPC?

Wow, that looks amazing!! Can't wait to see it on my Acer tablet!
    Great work, I wish there were more developers like you...
    BTW, If you need someone for beta testing, I can help!
    Last edited by Adam24; 04-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Asus X550V
    Windows 8, Intel i5, NVIDIA GeForce GT720M, 6 GB/RAM

That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time, great work!

7. Default

Thanks you all.

I'm hoping to be releasing it within the next 2 weeks. I've got to finish up two more features that my beta testers have requested and then I have to prepare the website and get the app up on the android market. All that stuff takes some time to get done but it's really close now. I'll be sure to let you all know when it's released

I have written my own little server app that runs along side FSX. I'm using the sdk that Microsoft released with FSX to build the app. I run FSUIPC along with several saitek radio/switch/and button panels as well as lots of other peripherals. I've tweaked my software to have zero interference with any of these other systems. It's really light weight and uses less than 10mb of memory and 0 cpu usage when running. I'm actually extremely happy with how well the server has performed for being a .net application.

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Sweet! I'd been hoping someone would do something like this for Android. I'll definitely check it out when it becomes available. Might you have a ballpark idea when it might be available?

How does it connect to the PC? Or more specifically, what does the PC need to connect to it? FSUIPC?

Thanks for replying to my questions, I will definitely be picking this up when you release the phone version or 7 inch versions.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

9. Default

Tonight I’ve released the Release Candidate build to testers. If all goes well with testing over the next few days I hope to release the software to the play store on Wed. I’ve made a ton of performance improvements over the weekend as well as updated some graphics for the app. It’s really looking solid to me right now. I’m waiting to hear from my testers now. Exciting times

10. Default

I'll be releasing the software this weekend. The Release Candidate testing has all gone well and I'm frantically trying to get the website and support materials completed. Life has gotten in the way of progress the last 2 days but I'll be working on it tonight and hopefully have everything released soon.