Thread: SSD and Paging

Default SSD and Paging

Hi all, I have an older PC that I am using FX on. its a 3 GigHtz pentium 4 with MB maxed out at 4 gig ram. Ya I know, way old stuff, but I can fly with FX with sliders in the middle with not much issues. I am am a student pilot and use this machine in conjunction with my real lessons and it works for that.

My question is this. If I were to get a SSD drive and set up to use its as a paging file drive, would that help getting a little more speed out of it?

I am buying part by part for a new PC to get the most out of FX but in the mean time just looking to find ways to eek out the most from this box while the new box is being built.

Any thought on if this may be work?

Thanks

Mark

If your system is regularly running out of memory and using the page file heavily, then using an SSD for the page file would help a little. Not sure that it would make a large difference though.

What are the complete specs of your system? There may be other areas to look into first.

I can't believe you can run FSX in a Pentium. I had a Dell 4600 I upgraded with a 3 GHz CPU and I could barley run the FSX demo. Although my graphics card at the time was a GT6600 then I got a GT 6800.

I currently have a SSD in the laptop and the desktop as the main drive. If you were to buy a SSD I would use it for the FSX install. If you have major addons for scenery that will boost performance a little. It works for me in FS2004 with real satellite imagery. I have megascenery Denver and it takes the SSD awhile just to process it at start up and when coming into KDEN. I use SATA II though. SATA III would be a lot better. There are tweaks for SSDs that you should do and if you're just running XP you won't have TRIM support for garbage collection so I would recommend an Intel SSD and use the SSD toolbox. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=18455 If you have Vista, Win 7 or 8 then there is TRIM support and then I would recommend a Samsung or Intel. I personally have a 128 MB AData SSD in the desktop and a G.Skill Sniper in the laptop. But Intel and Samsung are rated highest.

Without knowing the whole specs of your system I can't say for sure what would be a good upgrade. With a system that old I might expect the graphics card to be old which would lead me to say that a graphics card upgrade would be a lot better than a SSD upgrade.

From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM.

ABit AS8
    ATI Radion HD 3650 AGP
    4 Gig Gskill DDR400
    7200 RPM SATA HD

Thats about it.

Like I said it runs quite well on middle sliders with very low traffic. you can see some noticible chop in the frame rate but for what I need at this time it works. I just ordered a i7 3770K Ivy bridge and an ASUS Maximus V Formula MoBo and a new case last week. Will get the other parts over the next few months. I was just wondering if any one know if SSD paging my speed things up a little.

Thanks for the input.

5. Default

No it will not help. Clearing the memory by closing applications will do an ever better job. So no Internet Explorer as well,especially even.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    I can't believe you can run FSX in a Pentium. I had a Dell 4600 I upgraded with a 3 GHz CPU and I could barley run the FSX demo. Although my graphics card at the time was a GT6600 then I got a GT 6800.

I currently have a SSD in the laptop and the desktop as the main drive. If you were to buy a SSD I would use it for the FSX install. If you have major addons for scenery that will boost performance a little. It works for me in FS2004 with real satellite imagery. I have megascenery Denver and it takes the SSD awhile just to process it at start up and when coming into KDEN. I use SATA II though. SATA III would be a lot better. There are tweaks for SSDs that you should do and if you're just running XP you won't have TRIM support for garbage collection so I would recommend an Intel SSD and use the SSD toolbox. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=18455 If you have Vista, Win 7 or 8 then there is TRIM support and then I would recommend a Samsung or Intel. I personally have a 128 MB AData SSD in the desktop and a G.Skill Sniper in the laptop. But Intel and Samsung are rated highest.

Without knowing the whole specs of your system I can't say for sure what would be a good upgrade. With a system that old I might expect the graphics card to be old which would lead me to say that a graphics card upgrade would be a lot better than a SSD upgrade.
    I have built many pcs over the years. I only use the best parts. My PC was just barley behind state of the art when I put it together. Cant wait to see what it looks like with close to full sliders on my new box.

Thanks to all for the input. I don't think I will waist the money on the old gal just put to toward the future.

fly safe

Mark