Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Problems

Default Windows 8 Problems

Had to get new computer and am having some problems running FSX with Windows 8!
    1. Once I select an aircraft for the first time I have to reboot the computer to get the controls to work (joystick)
    2. Cannot add aircraft textures within FSX and save the changes (outside FSX works)
    3. Cannot get addons to work now. Worked at first for a while but now no addons will work and the addon tag on the tool line (flights, aircraft, views, options, etc...) will not even show up. Have A2A Accu Sim loaded and it stopped working after I tried installing other add ons (CVN-65 and others). Tried uninstalling the add ons and reinstalling Accu Sim but the Add On option still does not appear. Just putting some thoughts down about Windows 8. Other than that FSX does run good. Have FSX and Acceleration installed.

2. Default

I have Windows 8 and haven't had any issues (other than the normal FSX ones). As for adding textures, I know you can't edit aircraft config files and save them because of UAC, which can't be shut off as easily as with Windows 7. I typically just save the file to my desktop, and then move it to the aircraft folder and click "yes" to replace, that works.
    Adam J
    Flight Simulator X Gold Edition (REX Essentials +)
    HP 2311xi 1920x1080, Windows 8 64 bit, i5 3450 @3.5 Ghz, GTX 650 Ti 2GB GDDR5, 8GB DDR3-1600

Quote Originally Posted by adamjosiah View Post
    which can't be shut off as easily as with Windows 7
    Why not? I did it numerous times - Control Panel - Users - Change UAC settings...

The only must-do-thing I discovered in Win8, is that you MUST put the correct uiautomationcore.dll into FSX folder, otherwise you'll have crashes quite often, not occasionally like in Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
    Why not? I did it numerous times - Control Panel - Users - Change UAC settings...

The only must-do-thing I discovered in Win8, is that you MUST put the correct uiautomationcore.dll into FSX folder, otherwise you'll have crashes quite often, not occasionally like in Win7.
    Agree entirely with the uiautomationcore.dll, it's a CTD saver in Windows 8.

FYI, you cannot shut off UAC in Windows 8 completely without editing the registry. Moving the UAC slider to the bottom in Windows 8 does not disable LUA (Limited User Account) like it did in Windows 7. Search the interwebs for "Windows 8 Enable_LUA" if you are interested. Be forewarned however, by completely disabling UAC you will lose all functionality with Metro Apps (they will not run). I've also found that if you set Enable_LUA to 0 and then install applications, you can have trouble running them later if you set Enable_LUA back to 1 for Metro functionality. This led me to reinstall Windows 8 and proceed with never disabling LUA so I could still run some of the more useful Metro Apps.

To the OP - Did you install FSX in the Program Files folder? If so, you need to uninstall it and reinstall it OUTSIDE of the the Program Files folder. For example, install to C:\FSX or C:\Flight Simulator X or C:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X. If you do not do this, FSX will NOT work like you are expecting it to with all of your addons. I'd like to say otherwise, but this really is the best option.

Of course, your other option is to disable UAC entirely and then you can proceed as normal while operating out of the Program Files directory, however like I said above, your Metro Apps will be euthanized.
    Last edited by mavrocket; 02-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.

I am assuming you either read about how to install FSX with Windows 8, and/or know about it already and installed it correctly. In case you did not, and it does sound like it by the symptoms you are describing, you need to follow mavrocket advice.

Just in case though, try right clicking FSX and run it in administrative mode, see if that helps. Sometimes, even if you did install FSX correctly, you will run into problems. Just a couple of days ago, I installed AES, but when I tried running the aircraft config it wouldn't let me, so I then ran both FSX and AES in ADMIN mode and solved the problem.
    Good luck!!
    ANNBER

computer specs not worth mentioning just yet.

Thanks for all the replies!

mavrocket, thanks, I really didn't know about it! But, neither have I used the W8 that deeply... I usually only configure it for our commercial users who buy laptops and want typical stuff like Firefox, A/V, Email configured...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
    mavrocket, thanks, I really didn't know about it! But, neither have I used the W8 that deeply... I usually only configure it for our commercial users who buy laptops and want typical stuff like Firefox, A/V, Email configured...
    No problem Kosta.

Great blog by the way, it's a nice guide for the latest gen of hardware.

We are not going to discuss that here...Don
    Last edited by fxsttcb; 02-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tomcruz5 View Post
    Had to get new computer and am having some problems running FSX with Windows 8!
    1. Once I select an aircraft for the first time I have to reboot the computer to get the controls to work (joystick)
    2. Cannot add aircraft textures within FSX and save the changes (outside FSX works)
    3. Cannot get addons to work now. Worked at first for a while but now no addons will work and the addon tag on the tool line (flights, aircraft, views, options, etc...) will not even show up. Have A2A Accu Sim loaded and it stopped working after I tried installing other add ons (CVN-65 and others). Tried uninstalling the add ons and reinstalling Accu Sim but the Add On option still does not appear. Just putting some thoughts down about Windows 8. Other than that FSX does run good. Have FSX and Acceleration installed.
    To respond to number 3, Accu-Sim has no dropdown menu in Addons. That would be Accu-Feel

10. Default

I installed both FSX and FS9 on my D drive and let it default to Program files(86) and have no issues at all.
    It has always been advised to install either flight sim on a drive that does not have your operating system on it. No matter what operating system you are using.