Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brand new to sim, couple of questions

1. Default Brand new to sim, couple of questions

Hey everyone,

Mods - If this is off topic, feel free to move. I posted here because it relates to FSX more than others I think.

I've been wanting to get into sim for awhile, and I'm finally going to do it. I've spent countless hours looking for information so I can be sure to do it correctly. I'm in IT, so technology isn't going to be a problem. However, I'm looking for a full "getting started" guide. I've found several, but most are from 5+ years ago. I believe I've decided on FSX as it seems to be the most popular (not much progress being made in the sim world sadly?). I've got some potential equipment lined up for purchase including some Saitek controllers (rudder/control column etc). That said, I'm really surprised I'm having a hard time finding a "Getting started" guide created recently. Surely things have at least slightly changed since 2007?

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the direction of some reading, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be picking up FSX tomorrow I think.

Thanks everyone,

Jeff

Welcome Jeff.
    I would suggest getting FSX Gold, which comes with Acceleration.
    Once you get FSX running, spend some time in the section called "Getting Started", there are many sections there that explain much of
    what you want to know.

It's a great bunch of people here, if there is anything you need to know, just ask. They even guided me through how to build your own
    computer.

3. Default

Thanks for the response. I was going to get Deluxe because I was under the impression that included everything in Gold as well. Is that incorrect?

I will definitely spend a ton of time running tutorials and all that stuff, but I was even looking for guides that talked about good equipment for FSX etc. I had chosen the Saitek stuff because they're available at my local computer shop and I heard they were compatible, but I was looking for more information.

I appreciate the reply. Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

FSX Deluxe Edition is the one to get along with Acceleration Expansion Pack ( I think that is called the Gold Pack), then do as Rudyjo suggests.

Installing from those three DVDs gives you the completely uptodate FSX. The real expense will start there - addons/ addons/ addons galore!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by jeffster View Post
    Thanks for the response. I was going to get Deluxe because I was under the impression that included everything in Gold as well. Is that incorrect?
    Welcome to the Forum, Jeff.
    As Frank alluded to, it's the other way around. FSX "Gold" contains FSX Deluxe and the Acceleration Expansion Pack.

Search the forum for FSX Installation advice! There are some quirks! Read the stickies here and in the Newcomers Forum
    Specific questions on your install? Ask away!
    Read the Stickies here, and in the Newcomers Forum. That will guide you on what info to provide us for best advice ...Don

BTW, did I say "Read the Stickies", please!
    Last edited by fxsttcb; 01-14-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

My experience over the years, with all generations of FS, is "IT" people have very little if any advantage over the amateur Gaming "Geek" First and foremost, make sure you have the computer hardware that will run FSX reliably. Not a Business computer. It's a whole different ballgame.
    CPU: I7 2600K @ 4.7 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780
    MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1600 12800
    MB: Asus P8P67 Pro V3.1

FSX was released in 2006, the Service Packs or Acceleration (which includes the Service Packs plus other stuff) in 2007.

Therefore ALL the getting started guides from then are just as valid today. The only change comes when you start adding to your default FSX and then you have a wonderful six or seven years worth of information to search through.

Your first few weeks will be spent in the in-built Learning Center.

Do however search for the correct installation method, it's NOT as simple as you think.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by torkermax View Post
    My experience over the years, with all generations of FS, is "IT" people have very little if any advantage over the amateur Gaming "Geek" First and foremost, make sure you have the computer hardware that will run FSX reliably. Not a Business computer. It's a whole different ballgame.
    All I meant is that I know what my computer is capable of, can upgrade it, and can probably troubleshoot any computer related technical issues. I'm brand new to sims and don't claim any special knowledge of them or flying in general.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Does anyone have a comment about the Saitek gear I mentioned? From what I can tell it works in FSX, but does anyone have any experience with them or recommend something different?

Thanks

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jeffster View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Does anyone have a comment about the Saitek gear I mentioned? From what I can tell it works in FSX, but does anyone have any experience with them or recommend something different?

Thanks
    First of all, a disclaimer: I too am a newcomer to FS9/FSX; I've been playing with it for a whopping three weeks now. I did, though, jump in with both feet to the point of buying a number of items from Saitek; specifically, the Pro Flight Yoke/Throttle, the Pro Flight rudder pedals, the switch panel, the radio panel, and the Cessna trim wheel. I've found them to be excellent pieces of equipment, silky smooth in operation. The only other source of similar equipment, to my knowledge, is the CH Products line as I'm sure you already know. I can't comment on it but I'm sure the old timers around here could tell you anything you want to know.

So yeah, I'm happy with my Saitek stuff.

10. Default

That's good to know, thanks.
    Yeah I'm considering the pro flight yoke/throttle and pedals. I'll probably leave the rest until later. I'm already slightly dreading how much of an undertaking it's going to be to set that all up.

One bad thing I've heard is that the Saitek software only allows one keypress at a time, meaning if you're braking, you can't change views etc. That sounds pretty brutal, but I won't really know until I start.