Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FS9 Water Textures

Quote Originally Posted by billwhite View Post
    I got really frustrated with the REX water textures. I finally bought the Zynertek version and haven't regretted it. FSX has great water textures.
    I have Zinertek ultimate water advanced and it's really nice for the FS9 version. As for REX on FS9, that's because FSX has upper graphics details than FS9 obviously. Any water addon either bad or good will look better on FSX than FS9 due to FSX's better graphics. As you said, REX FS9 water is completely different textures than REX FSX. Certainly many people including me wish FS9 have same water graphic textures like in FSX. I like FS9 because it uses less performance to run pretty nice, plus all my addons are for FS9 lol. Anyway speaking of REX, what's the difference between REX FS2004 and REX FS2004 overdrive?

2. Default

With the REX-overdrive edition you're getting 1Gb of extra HD textures, mostly clouds in any variation. You need a fast computer to load those, they slow the FPS down. I must check out Zinertek Water, everybody's content with that one. Is it the Zinertek Ultimate Water Advanced package from 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by ital View Post
    Anyway speaking of REX, what's the difference between REX FS2004 and REX FS2004 overdrive?
    Rex OverDrive for FS2004 adds an additional 1GB of HD (High Definition) beautiful textures to the already 14,000+ textures that are part of the original REX FS2004 package. If you already own a copy of REX FS2004, the OverDrive bundle is available for free in the REX FS2004 Support Forum area as a large download zip.file. You MUST install all of the (4) service packs (or as your individual systems needs, based on your REX Build number ID.) in the exact steps/methods they require. Failure to do so, will result in many problems, and eventually a complete REX re-install.

(I) only use a few of the wave/water textures... but, the color combinations are endless using the customizing shader modules. I will admit, several of the wave patterns are just 'too much' for the FS9 engine. The FSX engine does handle water textures much better.
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

I have the Zinertek Ultimate Water Advanced. It is from 2009. I find the wave action is far too busy for my taste, and the colors are too blue.
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

Since many years now I use a combination of the old FS2002 water textures OceanFX (http://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-3777.html) and Vilk's Water vater.zip (http://www.flightsimworld.com/downlo...wfile/164.html). I first run OceanFX and then I copy the texture files from Vilk's Water.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

6. Default

I got mine for free somewhere may not be that realistic but it does the job

Here's what Zinertek ultimate water advanced looks like (sorry I don't have fraps for better show)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dawn.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	140830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dawn2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	140831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	140832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dusk.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	140833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dusk2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	140834

So basically it's the same as the previous version but with dark blue I guess, the other version has a lighter blue color. The advanced version comes also with realistic and photorealistic themes, mine here is on realistic.

The waves are not too busy, that's the FS9 water engine textures. That's how mostly addon water textures waves will look on FS9.

This was taken from my laptop HP pavilion dv6 i5 2.5Ghz, 4GB DDR3 RAM and ATI mobility 5470.

Not bad eh?
    Last edited by ital; 01-13-2013 at 09:04 PM.

8. Default

Vilk's is my favorite too, it's perfect with Scandinavian/North European scenery. (My chosen flying area spans from UK through Scandinavia to Finland). It's not too blue, but greyish blue, reflections are not overdone, quite subtle with smaller waves. Water looks cold and deep, fantastic reflections when it's sunrise or sunset. It's closer to the real thing than the others. Most of the designers overdo the reflections bit, it ends up looking like melted glass or something. REX is very good with the rest of the world, in particular tropical waters. I'm trying to install the Ocean FX wavecontroller. Is it still a good one for FS2004? The software is old and designed for FS2002. I'm running Win7/64bit.

I can still highly recommend OceanFX (see my screenshots above). It's working perfectly with my FS2004 running under Windows 7 x64. In my opinion the combination of it's OceanFieldHeight.bmp in combination with Vilk's textures results in the most realistic water for FS2004.

10. Default

ever had any problems loading zinertek? just downloaded it but when I get to the install point it says my "main fs9 folder is not in the windows registry"? Its where it ought to be ... in program files (x86). trying to get ahold of zinertek with no luck. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Bob D