Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS9 Water Textures

Default FS9 Water Textures

Anybody recommend a good water texture payware like ground environment Pro?

2. Default

Real Environment Xtreme. Not just water, but clouds, sun, and runway textures and more. It's very impressive.

Zinertek if you're just adding water... can't be matched.

Where can I find these products and if I use the Real Environment would I need to remove the Ground Environment Pro or do they work together? I like what the GEP has done for the overall performance as well as enhancements to my program.

5. Default

Search for "realenvironmentxtreme.com", and you will find it. With REX, you start off by taking a back-up of the files you're using now, so it's possible to switch back and forth. It comes with a huge installer menu and you can make and save your own favorite combinations. These texture files overwrite the ones which is there, but it's possible to combine them with GEP, if you pick out the parts you like and overwrite REX's own. Make your own private back-up of the main texture folder if you want to mix the two packages. Also, check YouTube for REX, there are many good videos demonstrating the package.

Quote Originally Posted by usb777 View Post
    Where can I find these products
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zinertek+ultimate+water+advanced

Quote Originally Posted by usb777 View Post
    Where can I find these products and if I use the Real Environment would I need to remove the Ground Environment Pro or do they work together? I like what the GEP has done for the overall performance as well as enhancements to my program.
    Hello Michael.
    Definitely Yes! You can use REX with GEP and it works beautifully too. But, there is a method to it just as Nils said. As he mentioned, always make a backup of your FS9 texture folder for safe keeping in case you need it later, because if you use REX for your weather also, then be prepared for it to make changes to many of your textures as needed by the REX program to give the best appearance to the weather theme --- unless... you un-check the appropriate texture boxes in the 'Options' Menu window tab prior. See notes below>

1. I run the GEP software first, pulling a METAR report and installing the GEP ground textures to match it into FS9. Do not load or start FS9 or anything else. Then I close GEP completely. I do not have GEP sky texture sets loaded (this is the job of REX).

2. I open REX initially (this step is not needed everytime, only when (you) decide you want to change certain textures) and create a 'Custom Theme' selecting the various textures I want to see in my FS9 such as the taxiway/runway surface textures, sun effects, water color textures and effects, etc. I save it as a 'Theme'. See below>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_fsscr036.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	140815

3. Then go to the 'Options' tab and un-check the boxes I want to remain unchanged by anything REX decides (it) wants to automatically change, based on the generated METAR weather report. Example:> Sun, Lights, Water, Airport signs, Runway/taxiway textures. Now, REX will only change the sky and cloud textures as needed. See below>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_fsscr035.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	140814

4. Next click either the 'Weather' or the 'Flight Planner' tabs and load the REX METAR report for the area you wish to fly in, or the airport code. Then load the REX weather textures into FS9 using the Install button. At this point if not using REX for your weather generation, then I close REX completely also. (I personally use ASE for my weather needs, REX for my environment needs and GEP for my ground texture needs.)

If it all sounds involved, it's really not... and once you do it twice, you won't even notice. It's very easy, and it gives you the best of everything! Enjoy and I hope this was helpful. ~Glenn
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

8. Default

Good instructions below! The expanded version of REX can be found in Flightsim's own store here for the princely sum of $39.95. It's worth every penny. Look for "REX Real Environment Xtreme w/ OverDrive for FS2004". 1411Mb, it's a huge package. You will love it.

9. Default

I got really frustrated with the REX water textures. I finally bought the Zynertek version and haven't regretted it. FSX has great water textures.

Thank You All!!!! I got 'em both kinda figured it out. I agree the ZIN water better understand GEP as well! Don't want to get into FSX as micropoop is sending me the third copy to activate. Wonder if it's worth it. Have my system so built up for FSX, FS9 takes everything I throw at it! Thanks again all I'm having fun again after my trouble with FSX last week.