Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creating Virtual Cockpits

Question Creating Virtual Cockpits

Hi guys!
    I'm sort of new to modeling panels and I would like to know how to make my own VCs for the Posky-Project Airbus aricraft. FS Panel Studio would be the ideal software but it's only for 2D panels. If only there was one like for 3D panels...

I know there is Abacus FSDS, but can I add VCs I make there to the Poskys.

If anyone can help, that would be great!!!

You can use FS Panel Studio for the panels in the VC, if you intend for it to be a 2D Gauge on a 3D backround. If you are trying to make a VC for the Posky-Project Airbus aircraft, I would suggest using Gmax to start on a model, then add more parts, such as switches, levers, and knobs before trying to add gauges. But the good thing about it being an Airbus is that it has a glass cockpit. This means that basically you can add gauges to the VC like you would a 2D panel in FS Panel Studio. And what sim are you using? I ask this as it can make all the difference, as I have no experience with FS2004, only FSX.
    Zero Visibility? Not an issue when you fly with the RNZAF. Our 757s are specially modified for cargo and acrobatics.

3. Default

If you are FS.9 you won't be able to add it

Just to make the answer crystal clear, the 'virtual cockpit' is not something easily created, and may only be done for native FSX models where the xxx_interior.mdl is separate from the exterior .mdl file.

It must be created with a 3d design program such as Autodesk 3D Studio Max, the freeware little brother of Max named GMax, or the payware program ABACUS FS Design Studio, plus the FSX SDK and a lot of work.
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

And I'll add: If you decide to create the interior model, n4gix(Bill) is about the only "Panel and Gauge" guy that I know of around here that is well versed in modeling, so, the Aircraft Design Forum may be a better forum to ask for help with that...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Thanks guys!
    To answer some questions this is the version of flightsim i use:FSX
    Now I have some more questions: How do I get the Posky or project airbus planes into Gmax(I'm thinking about getting the abacus fsds, if I can use it to make the addon VCs for the Posky and project airbus planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Markkuss View Post
    Thanks guys!
    To answer some questions this is the version of flightsim i use:FSX
    Now I have some more questions: How do I get the Posky or project airbus planes into Gmax(I'm thinking about getting the abacus fsds, if I can use it to make the addon VCs for the Posky and project airbus planes.
    The correct answer is that you can not load a compiled model (.mdl) file into any 3d modeling program without encountering more problems than it is worth.

The fact is that Arno G. has provided a program called ModelConverterX (MCX for short) that can load any compiled model file and export to a 3DS file. However, what you end up with is a welded mess of mesh that looses all that made it a flyable model, such as animations, visibility conditions, and so forth!

You may just as well start from scratch and build your own model to begin with...
    Last edited by n4gix; 05-24-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Bill Leaming
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Thanx Bill!
    That's good to know-but how did Alrot make his VC for the 737-800. I think he even made one for the Posky 737. Do you know how he did this, by any chance, with out messing up the animations and stuff?

Thanks
    Markus

9. Default

Hi,there buddy
    I'm a beginner in this aviation modelling and would like to know how to create from scratch a Complete 2D for now & 3D(VC) panel.Later using anything up to 5024 pixel x 5024 pixel high-textures like orthophoto( real photos) of the actual instruments in 3DS Max 2012-2013?

The planes Cockpit I'm wanting to learning to design from scratch ,with your help along the way, is a Beautiful Boeing 747-200 Classic(Analogue Type ) and make it 100% Full functioning Cockpit Systems.....!!! just like Level-D have done on the 767......

!!! I would also love to learn how to make it a level-D type Sim with complete SDK and be able to export DataRefs....!!!!!!

What I want to know in detail explanation and instructions like --->Step 1:Open 3DS MAX Step 2,3,4,5,6,7:Where to get the actual textures from of all the panels/guages/,how to Draw/Animate gauges,switches,knobs,ect ect..all the way to making it a complete add-on package in FS9...To elaborate better.I want to make my cockpit to look and react(Fully Animated like what Captain Sim 707-300 Classic and CLS 747-200/300 have done!

So I hope someone can explain to me in great detail for once!!! what the steps and instructions are to DO Exactly what i propose.....What's the order of operation in designing all that,What manuals do i need for my specific aircraft ect

SORRY for this mouthful ,but It means the world to me ,to know how to do all this and will learn everything there is to know doesn't matter how long it takes,just need someone to share their knowledge with me in this Quest of mine.......:@)thank you

You may not realize this, but what you're actually asking for is for someone to devote the resources necessary to teach an entire series of graduate level complexity courses on what amounts to at least four separate disciplines...
    1. 3D CAD Modeling
    2. C++/GDI+ computer programming
    3. Graphics Artwork
    4. XML Model Scripting

It is a given that nearly all -if not all- of those currently working on FS development are self-taught. Some of us may well have brought along some experience in a related field, such as someone already a 3D Modeler in real life, or a computer programmer working full-time for another company, but by and large few of us have professional experience in all four of the above cited areas.

I've been working as a full-time FS developer now for nearly fifteen years, yet even so I consider myself still at barely a "Journeyman" level. I'm far, far short of being a "Master..."

Now all that said, what I'd recommend is that you pick one of the above disciplines and spend quite a bit of time reading the vast archive of posts available at FS Developer and Free Flight Design in their respective forums. All of the "tools" you will need are available in "free" versions, so there's no need to spend much money. What is absolutely required however is a LOT of time, patience, and practice.
    Bill Leaming