Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Radios for Navigation

Default Using Radios for Navigation

Using Plan G, when you highlight an airport you want to fly to, it gives many different frequencies. Some are for the tower
    some for a certain runways etc. There are also frequencies for ATIS, CTAF, and APPROACH.

If you want to fly to an airport and use radio navigation, which of those frequencies do you put into the "NAV" that will
    guide you to that airport and give the distance to go?

None of those - they a communications frequencies. You need to select a navigation ais such a an NDB, ADF, or ILS and then use that. The FS Learning Center tells you about them.

3. Default

on plan G, make sure you are showing VORs and ndb's. you fly to those. Not all airports have them so you go to one close then fly the rest of the way. As mgh said the learning center has a good section on them.

Happy flying
    Bruce
    I5-2700 3.10GHz,Dual AMD Radeon 6850,6 gb Ram. Win 7 64, ASE,AH 3 X 32" monitors, 1 17 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    None of those - they a communications frequencies. You need to select a navigation ais such a an NDB, ADF, or ILS and then use that. The FS Learning Center tells you about them.
    Actually an NDB or a VOR frequency... The ILS will only guide you for the final approach to whichever runway you have selected for landing.
    Have a look at the training lessons in FS to learn about radio navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by normac View Post
    Actually an NDB or a VOR frequency... The ILS will only guide you for the final approach to whichever runway you have selected for landing.
    Have a look at the training lessons in FS to learn about radio navigation.

The OP asked "...guide you to that airport...". ILS does that.

Thanks guys. I just went back to look at Plan G, seems like almost all major airports have an ILS frequency. If two or more ILS frequencies
    are listed, then either of them would work as far as guiding you to the airport?

It has been so many years since I did this. About all I have done in the last 5 years is bush flying using ADF.
    I just got the RealAir Duke, so it's time to re-learn this.

Blog Entries

An ILS will not guide you to an airport, at least not from any significant distance. To get to the vicinity of the airport you'd probably use a VOR (or NDB). Once in the vicinity of the airport and have chosen which runway to land on (or ATC tells you which runway) you would then choose the ILS for that specific runway and use that guidance to make a precision approach and landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    An ILS will not guide you to an airport, at least not from any significant distance...
    True, but it's still a guidance system.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    True, but it's still a guidance system.
    But a "runway" guidance system, not an "airport' guidance system.
    VOR's guide you to the airport, and DME's tell you the distance to go. This is what the OP asked about.
    ILS's guide you to the touchdown zone on the runway, both laterally and vertically.

Well if we're gonna go all pedantic on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    VOR's guide you to the airport, ...
    No they don't, they guide you to (or away from) the VOR.

Many VORs are miles from an airport and the vast majority of airports don't have a VOR on the field.

Like I was sayin'...

HAPPY NEW YEARS everybody!!!

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do?
    Farewell, my freind (sp)