Thread: Pilot Profile:vgbaron

Default Pilot Profile:vgbaron

Wow - having to dig way back for this. Learned to fly at Brackett Field in Pomona CA - got my PPL in 1962 - went on from there to get my CPL, Multi & IFR ratings. I have never owned and a/c and have never earned wages as a pilot but in 26 years of flying, I somehow managed to get a little over 10K hours in just about anything that flew.

Had a heart attack and lung cancer in 1988 which ended my RL flying. I was what might have been called an airport rat - I pretty much lived there and would mooch free rides on anything that could fly. Mainly learned in a Piper Colt and TriPacer. Then did RG work in Cherokee and Bonanza. Started multi in Piper Apache and my favorite a/c the Cessna 310. Been fortunate enough to have stick time in a lot of different a/c - PT-19, PT-22, P-51, P-38, AT-6, T-28 & Beech D18 to name a few.

Every dollar I earned went into flying. I got very lucky because , due to my hanging around the airport all the time, the owner of the FBO I flew out of asked me to fly him down to see his daughter in San Diego quite a bit. He liked to enjoy a few drinks with dinner so I was the "designated driver"! I would fly him down, in one of HIS aircraft, drop him off and just fly around for hours shooting T&G's until he called. The funny thing is, HE thought *I* was doing him a favor - LOL! I would have paid him for that chance.

After that, I would be the guy to go and pick up a/c that students left somewhere when the got stuck in weather. Basically that's how I managed to pile up a ton of hours. That and outright begging!

Vic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vic Baron 1962.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	139262  
    Last edited by danl; 12-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.

P3D Rig
    I7 3770K @ 4.73ghz Asus Sabertooth Z77 16G G.Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 2T EVGAGTX780 Corsair 1000W PSU 2 - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - OS & P3D HAF 942 - Corsiar H100i Liquid Cooler W7 64 Home Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by vgbaron View Post
    Wow - having to dig way back for this. Learned to fly at Brackett Field in Pomona CA - got my PPL in 1962 - went on from there to get my CPL, Multi & IFR ratings. I have never owned and a/c and have never earned wages as a pilot but in 26 years of flying, I somehow managed to get a little over 10K hours in just about anything that flew.

Had a heart attack and lung cancer in 1988 which ended my RL flying. I was what might have been called an airport rat - I pretty much lived there and would mooch free rides on anything that could fly. Mainly learned in a Piper Colt and TriPacer. Then did RG work in Cherokee and Bonanza. Started multi in Piper Apache and my favorite a/c the Cessna 310. Been fortunate enough to have stick time in a lot of different a/c - PT-19, PT-22, P-51, P-38, AT-6, T-28 & Beech D18 to name a few.

Every dollar I earned went into flying. I got very lucky because , due to my hanging around the airport all the time, the owner of the FBO I flew out of asked me to fly him down to see his daughter in San Diego quite a bit. He liked to enjoy a few drinks with dinner so I was the "designated driver"! I would fly him down, in one of HIS aircraft, drop him off and just fly around for hours shooting T&G's until he called. The funny thing is, HE thought *I* was doing him a favor - LOL! I would have paid him for that chance.

After that, I would be the guy to go and pick up a/c that students left somewhere when the got stuck in weather. Basically that's how I managed to pile up a ton of hours. That and outright begging!

Vic
    Great write-up and photo Vic, thanks for sharing. You must have a ton more photos you can share in the photos & video sub-forums we have here and I invite you to share them. If the photos are about you or your plane though feel free to post them right here or in the photos thread either way. With 10,000 hours of flying how to do I ask the right questions to have guys like yourself tell their stories. There must be some really interesting ones for sure. Feel free to get in on the general discussions and post your favorite headline news that you find interesting.

I thought for sure you were going to say that you married the FBO's daughter but I guess it didn't end up that way. lol
    Last edited by danl; 12-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danl View Post
    Great write-up and photo Vic, thanks for sharing. You must have a ton more photos you can share in the photos & video sub-forums we have here and I invite you to share them. If the photos are about you or your plane though feel free to post them right here or in the photos thread either way. With 10,000 hours of flying how to do I ask the right questions to have a guys like yourself tell their stories? There must be some really interesting ones for sure. Feel free to get in on the general discussions and post your favorite headline news that you find interesting.

I thought for sure you were going to say that you married the FBO's daughter but I guess it didn't end up that way. lol
    LOL! I did get married shortly after my solo but not to the FBO's daughter!!

Vic
    Last edited by danl; 12-20-2012 at 05:50 PM.

P3D Rig
    I7 3770K @ 4.73ghz Asus Sabertooth Z77 16G G.Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 2T EVGAGTX780 Corsair 1000W PSU 2 - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - OS & P3D HAF 942 - Corsiar H100i Liquid Cooler W7 64 Home Premium.