Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: From sketch up in flight simulator

Greetings,

Since my last post I have crossed streams, climbed mountains, forded rivers, sailed oceans and what do I have to show for it? Well, maybe a little.

As of my last post, I had achieved my little hangar building except it didn't have a floor. In getting that floor, I lost what I had and went back to a skeleton with a bunch of black holes in it. I spent the next couple of days exploring in and out and over and around and through MCX. In short, I'm doing what I should have been doing all along; I'm trying things out on my own for a change.

After several, and I mean several, failures, I have finally gotten back to what you see below. The thing which actually made the difference, I believe, was resizing the textures down. The floor shows up as a flicker; I'm working on that.

The only way I'm going to make any real progress with this is the way I do it with everything else; trial and error, poke and hope, get your fingers singed. Arno has a very comprehensive set of videos and I'm starting to spend time with them.

I'll say it again; I'm very grateful for all the help I have received in this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	141001
    Last edited by tres2; 01-15-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Glad to see you're making progress.

If you put a floor in your hangar, texture it, then set it on the ground you get texture flickering because FSX gets confused as to whether it should display the floor or the ground underneath it.

You can raise the floor a tiny bit in Sketchup or you can raise the entire hangar a bit above ground level in FSX. Either way will eliminate the flickering, yet give your plane a "flat tire" look should you park in the hangar. Your personal opinion which is best.

Personally I would rather create the floor with an apron in ADE and sometimes when using hangars created by others will sink them into the ground a bit to bury their floor.

Using an apron eliminates the floor polys, and their textures, which makes the model perform better in the sim.

Keep up the good work, and most importantly, have fun.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do?
    Farewell, my freind (sp)