Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: From sketch up in flight simulator

Quote Originally Posted by tres2 View Post
    Is this what you mean by DF object libraries?
    No, I meant the Dan French Core Libraries.

If you do not have an entry in the Scenery Library for the Dan French Core Libraries FSX will not be able to find your hangar model.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do?
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

Tres,
    Happy Holidays and big props to you for not giving up.Just a thought,have you used the Object Placement Tool in the FSX SDK? It's another way of placing your hangar by removing the folder from the Dan French collection and creating it's own unique folder.If you're interested there are plenty of us who can help. I know it's a whole different approach but I've had great luck with it and it's easy to use.
    unclegreg

Hi Greg, hold that thought.

String bean; sorry about that, I misunderstood you. See my post (#28) above. The Dan French's core libraries are currently a subfolder under add on scenery in the scenery area title it just says add on scenery. I suspect that this is wrong but I don't know what is right.

You need to add the DF Core Libraries to the Scenery Library.

For the Addon Scenery entry in the Scenery Library, the only place FSX will look for .bgl files is ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery.

I suggest you visit the FSX Learning Center, available in the sim on the Help tab.

Once in the Learning Center Index, click on "S", then under Scenery click on "Adding".

After you add the DF Core Libraries to the Scenery Library your hangar should show up in the sim. Right now FSX has no way of finding it.

peace,
    the Bean
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    You need to add the DF Core Libraries to the Scenery Library.

For the Addon Scenery entry in the Scenery Library, the only place FSX will look for .bgl files is ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery.

I suggest you visit the FSX Learning Center, available in the sim on the Help tab.

Once in the Learning Center Index, click on "S", then under Scenery click on "Adding".

After you add the DF Core Libraries to the Scenery Library your hangar should show up in the sim. Right now FSX has no way of finding it.

peace,
    the Bean
    Thanks for that; it focused me onto something I had a vague idea of but no better.

So now I have all the Dan French's stuff, which includes all of the H angar1tres4 files (other than the.DDS files) in a directory under\add on scenery\scenery as shown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	139809

However, this doesn't change anything. The texture files are in the\add-on scenery\texture directory as shown

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	139813

Advise me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the way it should be. Nothing has changed. One thing I have noticed is what appears to be an anomaly within the\hangar1tres4 folder; the_placement.XML file calls it très40 instead of très4. It's that same way in the original\libraries\documents folder where all this stuff was originally made.

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	139814

I've got a bad feeling about this one, but it is the most conspicuous anomaly at the moment. I know it means I have to go back to the beginning, but that is small potatoes compared to what I've already been through. And you guys with me.

I don't think you understand how the Scenery library works.

The Scenery Library entry for Addon Scenery tells FSX to look for .bgl files in ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery and the textures for those objects in ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\texture.

FSX will not look in any folders in ..\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery for .bgl files unless you add another entry in the Scenery Library.

In your first screenshot you have 4 folders in ..\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery. Those 4 folders, Belgium, saba, FFBM, and Hangar..., are being ignored by FSX unless you have added them to the Scenery Library in FSX.

As for the placement.xml file, as you are using ADEX to place your hangar that file is not needed or being used.

You have added your hangar to the LOM in ADEX by telling ADEX where to find it, that is great.

The problem is that you have not told FSX where to find it, and until you do it will not show up in the sim.

Keep us posted and know we were all at that stage once.

Your light bulb moment will happen and you will sort this out.

peace,
    the Bean
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

That is the one thing about which I have very little doubt.

Okay, here I am in\Microsoft flight simulator X\add on scenery\scenery. When I click okay the "directory" box highlights blue but nothing happens. I have gone to edit area mode looking at Saba, for example, and as far as I can tell it looks the same.

Views:	18 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	139854

I vaguely remember a conversation I was involved in, about two years ago, wherein it was suggested that there might be some kind of an FSX glitch. I'm not looking for a scapegoat here, but if there is some kind of bug I need to get straightened out on it. You're right; I've never been able to get a really good grip on this and it's frustrating because in my real life I'm in and out of Windows Explorer showing my folks how to manage directories, do searches, and all that kind of stuff, all the time.

String Bean, I'm doing the best I can, honest. Thank you very much for helping me, I really appreciate it. I feel kind of like a dummy, but I'm not giving up no matter what.

That is the one thing about which I have very little doubt.

Okay, here I am in\Microsoft flight simulator X\add on scenery\scenery. When I click okay the "directory" box highlights blue but nothing happens. I have gone to edit area mode looking at Saba, for example, and as far as I can tell it looks the same.

Views:	18 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	139854

I vaguely remember a conversation I was involved in, about two years ago, wherein it was suggested that there might be some kind of an FSX glitch. I'm not looking for a scapegoat here, but if there is some kind of bug I need to get straightened out on it. You're right; I've never been able to get a really good grip on this and it's frustrating because in my real life I'm in and out of Windows Explorer showing my folks how to manage directories, do searches, and all that kind of stuff, all the time.

String Bean, I'm doing the best I can, honest. Thank you very much for helping me, I really appreciate it. I feel kind of like a dummy, but I'm not giving up no matter what.

First off, you do not want to Edit the Scenery Area, you want to Add a new Scenery Area.

In the Scenery Library click on the "Add Area..." button, then navigate to the Addon Scenery folder.

Once there click on your hangar folder, then click on "OK".

If you don't have Win7 you should be good to go and now see your hangar listed at the top of the Scenery Library.

If you do have Win7, when you click on "OK" instead of adding your hangar to the Scenery Library the Explorer Window will open up your hangar folder and you should see the "scenery" and "texture" folders. Now just click on some white space in that Window and your hangar should now be added to the Scenery Library.

Now go see if your hangar shows up in the sim.

If the Win7 bug of adding scenery confuses you look at this video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8kO1IsJMuE

peace,
    the Bean
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

Son of a female dog! I did it!

That is; we did it. String bean, Jim, Greg; I can't thank you guys enough. Now it's time to go back to Arno's lectures on sketch up and learn a little more about it; this model looks like sh*t but at least I have it in there. My grip on understanding this is very tenuous and I need a lot more practice anyway. Can't thank you guys enough.

Views:	12 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	139860
    Last edited by tres2; 12-31-2012 at 10:05 AM.