Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Morn'n Folks,

No problem "dnpaul" - welcome aboard - the more problems we can solve the better...

Yeah - these system crashes are being reported on my AVSIM thread as well... I actually purchased this plane a while back - I couldn't get it to run smoothly - frame rates - on my old computer - so it just sat on my hard drive... Now that I just finished my new build - I was anxious to see the improvement... Overall - the model is very well done - McPhat paints - Rob Young FDE - it's a joy to fly... I can even live with the functionality of the FMC being somewhat awkward and not true to prototype... Due to the amount of time it takes to setup a flight properly - the system crashes and the ease at which you can delete your entire flight plan - just kill me...

"Dnpaul" - what's your first name if you don't mind - I hate addressing people by their logins ? Anyway - I'll try and load a full approach next weekend and I'll let you know how I make out... Did you see my post about deleting a "discontinuity"... While the DEL key seems to work from me - another pilot mentioned you don't normally "delete" them... You just move the waypoint past the discontinuity up one... Haven't tried that with this FMC yet... Along this same subject - I recall loading an approach in flight and the approach loaded after my destination... My system crashed at this point - but - I'm guessing I should have deleted my waypoints and destination - so the first fix of the approach was my next waypoint... I'll try some more when I can...

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

All,

If possible - anyone experiencing system crashes with the FMC - please post on my thread in the FeelThere support forum so they are made aware this is a wide spread issue... Maybe they will fix it if given enough support...

http://forum.iemit.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=22

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

Just an OBTW - the ERJ never looked so good...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?client=mv...BoJEA&rdm=03p2

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Morn'n Folks,

No problem "dnpaul" - welcome aboard - the more problems we can solve the better...

Yeah - these system crashes are being reported on my AVSIM thread as well... I actually purchased this plane a while back - I couldn't get it to run smoothly - frame rates - on my old computer - so it just sat on my hard drive... Now that I just finished my new build - I was anxious to see the improvement... Overall - the model is very well done - McPhat paints - Rob Young FDE - it's a joy to fly... I can even live with the functionality of the FMC being somewhat awkward and not true to prototype... Due to the amount of time it takes to setup a flight properly - the system crashes and the ease at which you can delete your entire flight plan - just kill me...

"Dnpaul" - what's your first name if you don't mind - I hate addressing people by their logins ? Anyway - I'll try and load a full approach next weekend and I'll let you know how I make out... Did you see my post about deleting a "discontinuity"... While the DEL key seems to work from me - another pilot mentioned you don't normally "delete" them... You just move the waypoint past the discontinuity up one... Haven't tried that with this FMC yet... Along this same subject - I recall loading an approach in flight and the approach loaded after my destination... My system crashed at this point - but - I'm guessing I should have deleted my waypoints and destination - so the first fix of the approach was my next waypoint... I'll try some more when I can...

Regards,
    Scott
    The name here is David. How does one move the waypoint past the discontinuity up one as you describe?

I deleted the two waypoints that constituted the discontinuity (say that fast 5 times) and my entire flight plan and the approach I had just selected went away. And it was actually pressing "Prog" that CTD'd my flight.

Hi David,

My experience with FMC's s rather limited - so please take anything a state with a grain of salt - this is what I understand... In a normal FMC - you don't delete a discontinuity - you grab the waypoint after the discontinuity into the scratchpad - by clicking the LSK adjacent to the good waypoint - then just click the LSK adjacent to the discontinuity... This in effect grabs the whole flight plan following the waypoint and moves it up so the FMC removes the discontinuity and continues to sequence through the remaining waypoints... I don't recall trying this on the ERJ...

In the ERJ - I've just been clicking the DEL button - then just click on the line that says "discontinuity" and it goes away... Right or wrong it seems to work...

I've been working on the bugs I've been dealing with so much - I haven't really played with the approach phase in much detail yet...

It sounds like we are having very similar issues... It is so easy to purge your existing flight plan - I've done it countess times... What I intend to do is setup a complete flight plan again - launch and get up to level flight - the SAVE the flight... That way I can try things over and over again until I find something that works...

The somewhat terse ( benefit of the doubt goes to FeelThere - as intent is difficult to interpret on a forum post ) reply to my FeelThere support post made me believe that FeelThere's official response was like - "you are the first/only guy to report this - therefore it's a user issue - and - we're really not gong to spend time on this"... I hope I'm wrong...

I'll try to get some more time on this over the weekend... Please feel free to share anything you come up with...

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

6. Default

Cool. I intend to mess with it this weekend too. I do hope we can figure it out. This plane is a blast to fly. I am actually more of an analog kind of guy, glass cockpits have never really been my style, but I've had a ball learning to fly this one. It is especially fun for me, because these ERJ planes fly out of my home airport here in Champaign, IL. I really enjoy the ridiculously quick flight up to O'hare and back in these. My wife HATES them, though, lol.

7. Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

If you think that's quick, do DFW-ACT. 19 minutes in the air.

Hi Dave,

LOL - now that is short...

Questions on the FADEC if your not tired of this thread already and I can pick your brain... So far I spent most of my time flying the ERJ-135 in and out of Key West...

OBTW: Latin VFR has a great scenery pack that I like very much - if you don't have it - this is definitely a developer to watch - they are working on KSAN now...

Anyway - Key West has a 4800 foot runway - I usually load the 135 with about 65% fuel with a full passenger load to get in and out...I guess pilots need to be careful as the 135 couldn't use this runway at MTOW - right ? Would you ever use a 145 on something this short ?

In cruise flight in the 135 - the FADEC setting seems to almost keep this plane at the proper cruise speed without having to adjust the throttles manually... Is this the case with the ERJ series - or - do you have to make a lot of throttle adjustments in flight ?

Last night I tried out the ERJ-145XR for my first real test flight... Now - this plane - I had to really back off the throttles in normal cruise to prevent overspeed... Shouldn't the FADEC compensate for the engines being more powerful than others in its class and still be close to the power setting needed to maintain cruise ?

In addition - I don't think FeelThere coded anything different for the ERJ-14XR in the panel... It still seemed to overspeed at the faster .80 Mach listed for normal cruise...

Aside from the FMC - what's your opinion of the flight model on the ERJ aircraft in this package - did they do a relatively good job of capturing the aircraft for MSFS ?

OBTW - I have the 175/195 as well - not as good as the 135/145 package and it's one I kind of wish I passed on... Question though - Flight Aware shows routine flights into KEYW with the 175 which seems to need more runway than the 135... What would they do - only allow half the plane to be loaded or something ?

Hi David,

I spent some time flying this weekend and I'm starting to get the hang of the FMC... If you don't load your approach before takeoff - your last waypoint in your flight plan has to be the very first point of the approach you want to fly... If it's not - - it tacks the approach on after the destination... So I guess if your flying along and decide your approach in route - just insert the proper waypoint prior to loading the approach...

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

9. Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

The 'set thrust' detent isn't an auto throttle position. All it does is keeps the engine thrust at the computed target on the EICAS (cyan markers/values). I believe its just coincidence that your load out and wx is perfect to prevent an overspeed. In the real world, there are times where you can't reach Vmo/Mmo with throttles in the set thrust detent in cruise. As far as the 145XR I'm not familiar with the operating characteristics. But I've heard it does outperform the smaller Embraers in some ways.

I can tell you that the 140 goes to KEYW. The interesting fact is the 140 is coded by the FAA as a 135 because the 140 is a stretch version of the 135. The 145 can go to KEYW but you get limited by available runway and you have to do flaps 22 takeoff! I'd use the 135 with 18 flaps takeoff.

Your questions are welcome and hope I didn't leave any out.

Cheers!

Hi Dave,

Ahh - ok - I knew it wasn't an auto throttle - but - I still think I had a bit of a conceptual error... I thought - that based on your input values into the FMC - it actually calculated your thrust settings - for each phase of your flight - based on length of the runway - gross weight - altitude - planned airspeed - and - temperature - stuff like that... Does it do any calculations on the amount of thrust needed for takeoff ?

And really - thanks for your time and patience...

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office