Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Hi Folks,

I posted this in the FS9 forum a while back - no bites... Maybe everyone did move to FSX - LOL ??? Anyway - I don't think the sim version is relevant... Anyone here pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the FeelThere ERJ-145 FMC ? Need some help with - HOLDS - DIRECT TO - and - stuff like that... Basically routine flight plan changes in flight...

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

2. Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Sorry but even though I fly the real thing I can't help you here. I actually wish they had simulated the Universal FMC. Much easier and user friendly. I believe the way to do direct-to commands is on the legs page to move the requested fix to the magenta line.

Hi Dave,

Thanks - it's a great looking little plane even if it can't climb like some of its brethren... I've seen posts where real pilots complained a bit about its climb rate... Two of my favorites in MSFS are the ERJ-135/145 and the EMB-120... Embraer makes some pretty cool little planes but the bigger ERJ's seem to have lost there curb appeal... The other advanced airliner at the top of my list is the Coolsky MD-80...

I'm making some progress but the FMC can crash MSFS fairly easily - if you hit the wrong button... It seems way to easy to inadvertently blow away your entire flight plan as well... While trying to figure out the "direct to" function - I can't count the number of times I erased my entire flight plan... Maybe I should stick to my Garmin 430W ?

Thanks for responding have a good night...

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

4. Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

In reality, the 135 climbs much better than the 145. Smaller airframe, same engines. I do appreciate the physics are pretty accurate. However, the sounds are still not close to the real thing. Here's an interesting bit of info. When Embraer designed the 145 they used the cockpit off of the 120. The 120 cockpit was designed for a maximum specific operating speed therefore, it is extremely deafening flying without headsets. The majority of sounds from jets is just wind hitting the airplane or when the gear is down wind hitting the nose gear or nose gear well. Only time you can hear the engines, which is very faint, is during taxi, takeoff roll, and at speeds below 120kts.

Hi Dave,

Funny you mentioned how quiet they are - I seem to recall a similar situation a few years back where people were complaining that they couldn't hear the engines in flight on some new release - even though real world pilots confirmed that was the case... LOL - quiet is good - I recall a real world flight in the back row of an MD80 - it didn't sound like a "whisper jet" to me...

Anyway - maybe you could offer some insight for this scenario even though the FMC is different? Flying KEYW to KTPA - the FMC has two waypoints left In the flight plan RSW and KTPA... I've already passed RSW on my way to KTPA... ATC gives me a diversion due to traffic and sends me back to RSW for a hold... No matter what screen I try - both FLP and DIR - I can't get the FMC to fly me back to RSW... It seems that since I already passed RSW the FMC has it listed as my ORIGIN - therefore I can't get it to take a DIRECT TO or insert it in my flight plan as as intermediate between RSW and KTPA.... When I try to insert RSW in between RSW and KTPA it gives me an "INVALID WAYPOINT"... It seems if I pick a different waypoint - I can insert it... I wound up giving up on the FMC and just switched to NAV...

More info here: http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?/to...-ERJ-Drivers-?

Anyway - always nice getting the opinion of guys that do this for a living... I'm a 300 hour pilot working on my IR now...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 12-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

6. Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Yeah like I said the FMC of choice was a bad call. The problem is that on the FLP page the waypoints disappear after you pass them. That does not happen at all in real flying. Even if its a Garmin, I believe you should still have all your waypoints available after you have landed. Let me see what I can dig up because I ran into a similar problem.

7. Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Okay I just did a test and failed. I did KASE to KFMN with DRO in the middle. I passed DRO and turned to the east. After tinkering with it I did eventually get it to give a direct to back to DRO but then I instructed it to hold at DRO and then go direct again and then it CTD'd. I got it to go direct from not DIR page but from the PLN page. I selected DRO from the origin and then selected where the magenta line is.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time... Hah - and - I thought it was me... I guess you're using FSX so it's not even related to the simulator... It seems like if you deviate from the plan you have on takeoff - there is a serious chance of crashing the sim... It's too bad because I really like flying this bird and it had so many great reviews - I can't believe we are the first two to come across a crash from the FMC... I had posted this on the FeelThere forum and Vic's official response was along the lines - the product is four years old and this is the first time it's been reported...

I don't think there is anything I can do - but - I won't be able to mess with it again until the weekend... If I figure anything out - I'll post an update...

Have a good day...

Regards,
    Scott
    1982 Beech Sundowner
    The Real Tin Mouse
    The Office

9. Default

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar issue to the OP, only it is when I have entered a GPS approach into the FMC after being assigned and vectored by the FSX ATC. If I try to clear the discontinuity that results, then press the NAV button on the FMC, FSX crashes. It could be that I am doing something wrong. But I am following this and the thread on the feelthere board closely, because I suspect there is something common to both issues.

Thanks.

10. Default ERJ145 Drivers - some FMC help ?

Sad that Feelthere is giving a cold shoulder about such an annoying discrepancy. But like I said, it can be improved in many ways. The FMC to me just seems bare bones and not user friendly. The real unit that I'm trained to use is way better and if Feelthere felt like improving it they probably could.