Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepar 3D forum time again

Danl - Obviously I am a P3D supporter. I run two systems, one dedicated to FSX and the other to P3D. I fly both and get equal enjoyment. P3D took less tweaking out of the box to get to the same results as FSX. AT this point, I can not say that one is better than the other - they both still have a few problems and both have many fine points.

To me, the MAIN selling point of P3D is that it is STILL being developed whereas FSX is stagnant.

Both my systems are powerful but I have heard that P3D is much friendlier to lower end systems than P3d.

Vic

P3D Rig
    I7 3770K @ 4.73ghz Asus Sabertooth Z77 16G G.Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 2T EVGAGTX780 Corsair 1000W PSU 2 - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - OS & P3D HAF 942 - Corsiar H100i Liquid Cooler W7 64 Home Premium.

Thank you for unlocking this thread. It is important to give our members an avenue to share their questions and experiences concerning P3D.
    I am in favor of a P3D forum. There is considerable interest in this platform as demonstrated by "other" flight simulator sites hosting P3D forums. Having 10,615 "views" on the "Poll: Prepare3D Poll" in the Outer Marker forum here shows a significant interest is present at FlightSim.com. That poll only asked if you owned P3D, not if you were interested in a P3D forum. I would venture a guess that the results would have favored a dedicated P3D forum.
    As previously mentioned in another post by vgbaron, the self-appointed "armchair lawyers" will run rampant with their views unless it is clearly stated in the rules of the forum that any posts concerning the EULA will automatically be purged by the Moderators.
    I do not have P3D at the moment but I am certainly interested in learning all I can concerning its benefits and pitfalls. With knowledge gleaned from users of P3D, I will be better informed when the time comes to make my decision to purchase P3D or not.
    Thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion.
    Lyn

Win7 64 Pro,Gigabyte X79-UB4,256Gb SSD (OS+FSX), I7 3820 @ 4.3 GHz LC,EVGA GTX 670 2Gb,16Gb Corsair DDR3 2133 MHz,
    FSX/Accel DX10,SweetFX,PhotoReal America Scenery,FSGenesis Mesh,Traffic360

NE Scotland, beside the current 617 Dambuster squadron

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    This was pretty much answered previously. It's not so much we have anything against Prepar3D it's mostly that at the present time there is not much demand for a forum. It's quite possible this will change in the future. If the EULA changes to make it more open for use by anyone I suspect we'd open a forum in a minute.
    Hi Nels, thanks for re-opening this ... I guess too there was also a sort of fear of the unknown?

The EULA word always makes folk panic, and Microsoft have a lot to answer for this, to be fair, we are well into the second edition of P3D now and are awaiting the 1.4 version with promised DX11 support with much eagerness.. in fairness, Microsoft seem to have taken a punch on the nose in the short term by releasing the code to LM and seeing their MS Flight go under and Lockheed Martin take it further, if the Microsoft company have any respect for this series they will let it go, Microsoft's gaming division reputation is in tatters now and the whole company strategy has lost the plot IMHO.

But more importantly, its up to us and you to decide if Microsoft will sue you and if you fear them or not, if they sue you they are suing Aerosoft, ORBX and a host of other small companys that develop for P3D now.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft have made their bed with Flight sim rejection, don't let them see how successfully their old code is developing, let Microsoft lie in their bed and think about where they went wrong again.

Rant over, once more.

But thanks for re-opening this topic, if you build it they will come

4. Default

Hate to break it to you, but those guys at LM will never reach DX11 without breaking the current engine. Because that's what a DX pipeline is an engine. Then again it's an excuse for addon developers to double dip on your investment. Just the facts, and the proof is in the fact that ESP2 couldn't even deliver DX10, and we're at what Service pack 7?!
    Last edited by alaskancrab; 12-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.

NE Scotland, beside the current 617 Dambuster squadron

They dont have to break the engine, this is another mis conception nowadays.

Many new games ask for even DX9 or DX11 support, FSX was almost there with DX10 ... or so the Mighty Microsoft told us with its DX10 preview

The truth is Alaskancrab, you dont know and I dont know and we all speculate, all we can do is take Lockheed Martins words in faith, and i'd rather do that over what Microsoft have done in recent times towards us.

The truth is if we are speculating and asking, is that not one more good reason to have a P3D forum here now

To Vic,

Can you post the direct link to the PD3 dedicated forum over at AVSIM? I looked in EVERY category and I just couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    To Vic,

Can you post the direct link to the PD3 dedicated forum over at AVSIM? I looked in EVERY category and I just couldn't find it.
    Jim, here is the link:
    http://forum.avsim.net/forum/436-the...repar3d-forum/

It's in the "Other Civil Aviation Simulators' section.
    Last edited by Mazo; 12-12-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added section location
    Lyn

Win7 64 Pro,Gigabyte X79-UB4,256Gb SSD (OS+FSX), I7 3820 @ 4.3 GHz LC,EVGA GTX 670 2Gb,16Gb Corsair DDR3 2133 MHz,
    FSX/Accel DX10,SweetFX,PhotoReal America Scenery,FSGenesis Mesh,Traffic360

Thanks!

Edit: Went there and saw a whole whopping 9 new threads for the first 11 days of December. 2 of those have zero replies so I wonder out loud how much interest is really there for a commercial flightsim program?
    Last edited by JSkorna; 12-12-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M31 View Post
    They dont have to break the engine, this is another mis conception nowadays.

Many new games ask for even DX9 or DX11 support, FSX was almost there with DX10 ... or so the Mighty Microsoft told us with its DX10 preview
    The route ACES was taking to get to DX10 involved breaking backwards compatibility with add-ons developed for FS2004 or earlier. New add-ons developed using the FSX SP2 SDK are DX10 compatible. Of course none of this may apply to P3D if LM decide to take a different path.

Blog Entries

It's pretty hard to find, but I did find it. (It is marked "unofficial"). I have not been at Avsim for about 3 years except for a rare occasion when I was looking for a particular aircraft.

Darrell