Thread: Flight Simulator Aircraft Editor

Default Flight Simulator Aircraft Editor

Can you have too many planes installed in FS2002? When I now install an add-on plane & go to open up Aircraft Editor, I get the screen "fsedit.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". If I uninstall the plane or other planes, I can then proceed OK. You can still select an aircraft but it is shown as not in the library. I was wondering if FS2002 has a limit on how many aircraft can be installed. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Bob Anderson
    robert.burdett@mchsi.com

Default RE: Flight Simulator Aircraft Editor

I've never been able to open FSEDIT with more than 300 or so aircraft folders, but FS itself runs fine with something over 500 -- I've not seen a limit yet.

Larry N.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...de0e398ee2.jpg

Larry N.

Even so, I would really suggest keeping the number of aircraft in your FS2002 folder to a minimum. You can't be flying hundreds of aircraft that often, and every time it wastes time loading the list of aircraft... Perhaps it results from people seeing a nice looking aircraft, and say to themselves, "Oh, that aircraft's nice, I'll download it and install it", and they repeat the process for hundreds of aircraft but only fly each of them once, twice, or never...

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...ca3e42ad55.gif

I have personally never been able to use FSEDIT and open a panel, I receive the same message. All the other folders open and operate fine. I assume that this was a bug, and no one has been able to actually open and edit a panel. This was aluded to when FS2k2 was released thus I wrote if off.

Thanks…
    Mike S. (KPDX)
    PII 450 256m Banshee Vid
    8 gig HD 17” monitor

FSEDIT has always worked for me, so long as I had less than 300 folders in the aircraft directory. However, it has bugs, and can make a mess of your .air file if you change anything other than the first tab (name, airline, etc.).

Early on I changed some landing gear parameters on an aircraft with FSEDIT, and suddenly had an aircraft that handled poorly, though it had flown OK prior to using FSEDIT. The problem has never occured if I just changed ID factors, but anything else seems to make a mess. If you use it, back up your .air and .cfg file for that aircraft before using FSEDIT. I hear similar tales from others.

Larry N.

Larry N.

Maybe I am under the wrong impression of the necessity of having to use FSEDIT when installing planes. I only use it for ID purposes & saving the plane in the Library. I do not use it for panels or any other reason. If you install a plane & don't save it w/FSEDIT will it still show properly in the Library? Is it necessary to use it to finish the installation of an add-on plane?

I agree you can get too many planes installed that are not flown much & I probably should take some out. With more then enough hard drive space I have not given any thought to having too many planes until this FSEDIT situation just came up.

Thank you all for your replies.

Bob A.

Most aircraft from FS98 on will work as is in FS2000. However those from FS98 and FS2000 won't have manufacturer, type, etc. and will also be missing some other items in the aircraft.cfg file that running fsedit will put in the .cfg, which FS will simply read from the .air file. You can manually put this info into the .cfg, but it is time consuming.

If you don't enter the ID data, then you can look under "unspecified" for the aircraft, which will be listed with the "title=" entry from the .cfg file. But don't use FSEDIT for making changes in aircraft behavior or physical configuration (gear info, etc.), as it may goof up the aircraft handling by changing a lot of stuff in the .air file that you didn't ask for. If you need to change stuff in the .air file for handling, use AirEd or, if you can find a version that works in FS2002, FDE from Abacus, preferably before you use FSEDIT for ID.

Larry N.

Larry N.

Thanks for the info. It helps me to understand FSEDIT better. I guess I have been using it correctly & will continue using it only for ID data.

Bob A.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-02 AT 04:21PM (EDT)[/font][p]I tried using FSEdit to change some ground handling on some VB warbirds along time ago. FSEdit completely removed the tail feathers from the aircraft in the airfiles! They became completely unflyable. I had to reinstall to be able to fly them. Have not used FSEdit for anything again. Instead, I just copy and paste to update a .cfg file

Don

edited to add---

Larry,
    Have you been able to get your Super Cub working yet?

Don,

I've not even run FS for over a month and a half, and very little in the last four plus months. Guess I've lost track of what I might have been going to do to the Super Cub.

Larry N.

Larry N.