Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FS2004 and Windows 8

Blog Entries

Question FS2004 and Windows 8

Now that we have a new version of Windows out, has anyone here tested FS2004 running under Windows 8? Please post your results here.

2. Default

Why spend money on a new OS when Windows 7 does the job anyway? And apart from that I would not invest in a new OS until it was about a year old and a SP had been released. Proven stability is the name of the game this end.

David

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shanwick View Post
    Why spend money on a new OS when Windows 7 does the job anyway? And apart from that I would not invest in a new OS until it was about a year old and a SP had been released. Proven stability is the name of the game this end.

David
    How is this in any way relevant to the question? However you feel about various version of Windows, some people will be running Windows 8 and will want to know how Flight Simulator and other products work with it. While I don't intend to try Windows 8 myself I'm surely going to get asked and would like to have an answer available.

4. Default

I have an old Vista 64 and Fs9 and could get an update to Win8 at a descent price till jan 13.

So I am also interested in any results.

Well I have Windows 8 recently installed and so I just installed FS9 just to try it and see if it would work (I couldn't get it to run in Windows 7 for some reason under my old OS install) and it worked perfectly fine for me. I forgot how smooth it runs. The only glitch I noticed is that in the aircraft preview screen you won't see a 3-D model of your aircraft. I don't know if it was that way in Windows 7 or not but it doesn't work in Windows 8. But as far as flying goes it works perfect (I finally have a machine where I can max our the FS9 setting w00t). I even installed the patch. Right now I am installing some of my old add-ons those that I can find anyways and see how they do. I know the Level-D 767 doesn't seem to work in Windows 8 for FSX it just keeps crashing the sim even if its not the aircraft you are flying.

In FS9 Level D 767 works up until you select the 2-D panel then it freezes but you can cycle through views and it will unfreeze. MyTraffic 2006 worked great. My FSGenesis installed just fine and seems to work.
    Last edited by stabilep; 11-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Stabilep, not sure how relevant this is, but here goes .... Running under Win XP, I lost the 3-D preview when I changed graphics card. Even with the latest drivers, the preview takes minutes to load, and even then doesn't always load completely. So maybe this is a graphics drivers issue. Whether it's worth risking upgrading drivers to fix "just" that one problem (or possibly not) is obviously your call.

Steve from Mudgee

So it may just be taking a while to load then. I did update the drivers already but other than that it works flawlessly. lol

I have the Windows 8 Consumer Preview installed with FSX and see no difference in that vs. Windows 7. I know you have FS9 but just thought I would give my two cents.
    i5 2500k oc'd 4.4, Asus P8P67 LE, 8gb Ram 10700, GTX 560 Ti, OS on 640gb Sata HD, FSX on 128gb SSD, GEX, REX, UTX, Pyrex, etc....

9. Default

I installed Windows 8 about a week ago. It was an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro SP1 to Windows 8 Pro 32-bit. Everything went flawlessly! The only program I had to reinstall was Photoshop. Apart from that, everything else remained the same, and oh, might I add- smoother and better. The new UI is amazing. It feels like using a feather light OS. The programs load so much faster. I've never encountered any program crash so far even with plenty of programs running in the background. About the black aircraft preview, I never encountered that. I was kind of anticipating for it, but fortunately, mine worked normal.

10. Default

I know better but took the word of some one about Windows 8 and FS9. I upgraded my computer at this time to the super duper computer for the near future, when a stable program FSX or Prepare3d is established I would make the change.

Intel Core i7-3770k cpu @ 3.50 GHz and 16.0 GB of ram 64-bit operating system, x64

At the start when telling the computer where to store the program it would not let me store it in the normal directory.
    c:\program files\Microsoft Games\flight Simulator 9 and when I tried to install it, it kept telling me the path was bad or incorrect. I deleted (x86) and the program loaded but created an extra file directory c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\flight Simulator 9 which was empty.

I made the necessary changes to fly the program and when I got to loading a/c, airport etc. the Cessna picture was not in the window which should be displaying a/c chosen. Clicked on fly and Seattle loaded up. The a/c flew and all was well but when I choose other a/c again no a/c picture in the window. I am looking for solutions? Should I try reloading windows 8 in 32 bit mode where I may not be able to access all of the great ram I purchased for future flying with windows 8. Dilema, hmmmmm or switch back to Windows 7 32 bit mode where everything works. Will the new platforms Prepare3d, Xplane or which ever one comes out to win the flying communities heart work with Windows 8 32bit or 64bit. All this might be easily fixed but I am slightly disappointed at this point.

Your comments/solutions are most welcomed, hate sometimes being a pioneer.

Phil Knox

p.s. like vista they changed locations of icons and I have to search all the time to find the control panel. Lots of picture app for the kids but I am an old fart that if it is not broken and the world is accustomed finally to windows 7 leave it alone but definitely set up for young teens with patience.
    Last edited by philknox; 11-26-2012 at 09:01 PM.