Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS2004 on Windows 8

1. Default

It fascinates me that some people rubbish Microsoft and Windows so much. Could they write an operating system which would never have to be updated (i.e. it was bullet proof from day one and catered for every wish that every user could ever want for) or could never be hacked because every conceivable hack into the future had already been thought of and foiled? Nope, thought not!

Personally, my hat goes off to Microsoft for creating Windows. It really is a fantastic piece of software. Bill Gates did a good job there!

David

2. Default

I don't think there is a more tested piece of software on the planet other than Windows 8. Million+ beta testers and no one tested FS9 or FSX? That's your own doing... I'd say our, but I've been testing Flight like crazy on Release Preview and RTM. I'm sure someone will find a work around now that it's generally available.

3. Default 2004 and win 8

Quote Originally Posted by dwaintr View Post
    i will go back to Win7
    Will it help or not?

I have a middle of the road PC P4 3.20GHZ and 2.5 Gyg memories, have a dual boot system Win7 and win8

FS4 works well on win7 nothing out on win8... so I fly on win7 then )

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dwaintr View Post
    Well if no solution for this, thrn i might have to go back to Windows7 and wait until there are some fixes to make it work. First i will try to make some changes on display settings but if no result than i will format and go back to Win7
    I have had the same problem with FS2004 with the Windows 8 pro update disk which I bought from Comet. The plane area is black, but if I go to the plane list and select a plane from there then click the fly button it loads up from the list ( but nothing shows in the black box area),and it works fine! Very odd behaviour. On the other hand FSX works better for me on Windows 8 64 bit than it did on w7. Again all very strange. When I used to install some of the Orbx scenery and addon planes etc. I would always get a message saying this hasn't installed properly. Install using the recomended settings. It was a real pain at times. None of that in Windows 8. May be the service pack when it arrives will sort out any problems with FS2004. We will cross our fingers! I have re-installed FS2004 on my other rig running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. At least it works properly.

Quote Originally Posted by shaduc View Post
    Will it help or not?

I have a middle of the road PC P4 3.20GHZ and 2.5 Gyg memories, have a dual boot system Win7 and win8

FS4 works well on win7 nothing out on win8... so I fly on win7 then )
    Yours is probably the best solution. I couldn't get FS9 to run on the Win 8 developers edition, so, Win 7 is it.

If you have a backup image of the original Windows 7 installation drive, it should be easy to revert using 7's install disk restore option...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

6. Default

Has anyone noticed that Windows 8 pro with FSX installed runs better on an Intel rig rather than an AMD rig? I have an AMD Quad Core 4.2ghz cpu, Windows 8 pro 64 bit os, 8gb's DDR3
    1600 ram, OCZ 120 gb sata 3 ssd drive, 1gb Samsung sata 3 HD, Asus 560 1gb gpu. This scores 7.1. My Intel rig has an Intel e7400 core 2 duo cpu 2.8ghz. 8gb's DDR3 10600 ram, Asus 550ti 1gb ddr5 gpu, 500gb Samsung spin point sata HD running Windows 8 pro 64 bit and FSX. with a score of 5.9. Yet this humble rig knocks spots off the AMD rig! Frame rates are good as well even with some complicated addon airports and scenery. I have used the same settings in FSX. on both computers. Both rigs are fully up dated with drivers. Why is this?

Plain and simple? Intel's I/O architecture. It's far superior to AMD's latest when it comes to older, single, or lightly threaded apps, such as FSX.
    As an old AMD Fanboy, the Bulldozer's lack of FS performance makes me sad. ...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

My FS2004 case states the system requirements are XP/2000/98/ME.

9. Default

Just my two cents worth... As a test, I installed FS9 on a lowly Dell Studio laptop, 2GHz with 4GB RAM and nothing for a video card running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Ran so-so using the very lowest settings, as expected. No fun there... boring. I then upgraded the system to Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit. FS9 didn't run well at all. Locked up, very slow, etc. Next, I wiped out the drive, and did a fresh Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit install, followed by a fresh FS9 install. To my surprise, running FS9 in the highest possible settings is smooth, fast, no jitters... awesome. Run runs hands down better than my full size XP desktop 3.5 GHz machine with a $500 video card in it! The only ill affect is the blacked out aircraft preview window others have seen.

One thing I've consistently seen with managing literally thousands of OS upgrades in my career (the largest single project included upgrading over 13,000 desktops running over 400 applications across the spectrum), is in place upgrades are NOT the way to go. My little FS9 test shows that once again. It didn't work well with an in place upgrade, but works better than expected as a fresh upgrade and install.

As for Windows 8 in general... mush less of a resource hog than previous MS OS's. I've even install Windows 8 on machines that could barely run XP, and they run very nicely with Windows 8. Boot up time is significantly less than XP, and benchmark times for loading Word/Excel. etc., went from 45 seconds on XP to less than 5 seconds on Windows 8 on the same hardware. And yes, FS9 loads much faster as well.

If anyone wants to go to Windows 8, I would suggest a fresh install, not an upgrade. And, by the way, you CAN do a fresh install using an upgrade disk. Google it... simple post install registry change does it... (assuming you legally bought the upgrade)

Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Just my two cents worth... As a test, I installed FS9 on a lowly Dell Studio laptop, 2GHz with 4GB RAM and nothing for a video card running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Ran so-so using the very lowest settings, as expected. No fun there... boring. I then upgraded the system to Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit. FS9 didn't run well at all. Locked up, very slow, etc. Next, I wiped out the drive, and did a fresh Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit install, followed by a fresh FS9 install. To my surprise, running FS9 in the highest possible settings is smooth, fast, no jitters... awesome. Run runs hands down better than my full size XP desktop 3.5 GHz machine with a $500 video card in it! The only ill affect is the blacked out aircraft preview window others have seen.

One thing I've consistently seen with managing literally thousands of OS upgrades in my career (the largest single project included upgrading over 13,000 desktops running over 400 applications across the spectrum), is in place upgrades are NOT the way to go. My little FS9 test shows that once again. It didn't work well with an in place upgrade, but works better than expected as a fresh upgrade and install.

As for Windows 8 in general... mush less of a resource hog than previous MS OS's. I've even install Windows 8 on machines that could barely run XP, and they run very nicely with Windows 8. Boot up time is significantly less than XP, and benchmark times for loading Word/Excel. etc., went from 45 seconds on XP to less than 5 seconds on Windows 8 on the same hardware. And yes, FS9 loads much faster as well.

If anyone wants to go to Windows 8, I would suggest a fresh install, not an upgrade. And, by the way, you CAN do a fresh install using an upgrade disk. Google it... simple post install registry change does it... (assuming you legally bought the upgrade)
    Good information Fred

I just got a new computer which came with Windows 8. I don't know if this will help the upgraders to Windows 8, but with a fresh install FS9 works perfectly. When choosing an aircraft the window displays the aircraft just as it did with previous windows versions.....that is it's not black as I've read in other's posts here.

It could be the new computer, but FS9 is looking and working great in Windows 8!

Sorry I don't know about upgrade problems, but Fred's suggestions seem logical to me.... Seems as others like Windows 8 so far as well.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject of the thread.
    Last edited by NikeHerk67; 01-17-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Herk
    Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8