Thread: FSX AI Aircraft

Default FSX AI Aircraft

When I flew FS9 all my AI Aircraft were real world airlines. Whenever I flew, I would hear ATC calling real world airlines. I have never done that with FSX so, with the exception of my real world liveries, all I ever hear ATC calling is Orbit, World Travel, etc. I went looking for a package to download that would do that for me and I was totally overwhelmed by the search results at Flightsim.com. I had no idea what to download. Can anyone give me a link that would enable me to set my FSX up for real world AI planes?

Thanks,

Tim
    Thank you,
    Tim

ASUS CG8350; Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz/3.8 GHz Boost; 8 GB DDR3 Memory; System BUS 1350 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560Ti 1GB GDDR5; Windows 7 Home Premium x64; Thermaltake 850-Watt Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTower View Post
    When I flew FS9 all my AI Aircraft were real world airlines. Whenever I flew, I would hear ATC calling real world airlines. I have never done that with FSX so, with the exception of my real world liveries, all I ever hear ATC calling is Orbit, World Travel, etc. I went looking for a package to download that would do that for me and I was totally overwhelmed by the search results at Flightsim.com. I had no idea what to download. Can anyone give me a link that would enable me to set my FSX up for real world AI planes?

Thanks,

Tim
    World of AI(WOAI) has, as you found, literally hundreds available and are segregated by airline/season.
    One thing of note: Pick a permanent place to install the files to.
    If it is FSX or another location, and it is changed, you'll end up with duplicate aircraft.
    When the installer is run, it looks for existing models and updates them according.
    No existing model found, it creates it. If you have changed the location, instant duplicates.

I use seperate dummy FS9 folders to install my AI to. AIG, MAIW, PAI, WOAI, etc all have their own dummies.
    Then it's a matter of copy/paste into their respective FSX/FS9 locations. I have both FS9 and FSX and one install covers both sims.
    It takes up drive space, but, they're segregated. All of my traffic.bgls are also segregated into seperate folders and activated via the library. That makes troubleshooting much easier. Especially when I add a dozen new traffic files and have an issue.

FS9 format, and FSX format, traffic files can't co-exist, so, if you want any FSX format traffic to show up(including defaults), all FS9 format files will have to be converted.
    Most of us use AI Flight Planner(AIFP) by Don Grovestine: http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?JS=True&Folder=AIFP to create new AI flight plans, revise existing ones, and convert FS9 versions to FSX format.

Good Luck populating your sim(s)...Don
    Last edited by fxsttcb; 08-18-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

And for the ATC voices you should use this:

http://www.editvoicepack.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    And for the ATC voices you should use this:

http://www.editvoicepack.com/
    Thanks for the reminder, Jim. I used an older version of editvoicepack for FS9 mainly because the default "big" voice file did not have a couple of real world callsigns that I wanted. I downloaded the newer version and have been experimenting with that. One of the callsigns I gained by doing that was United Express. I had to just use United for my United Express CRJ until I ran EditVoicePack 4.0. That was a nice gain. I also like the ICAO phraseology. It's something different than what I have been accustomed to with FSX and something different is good... The only downside is that I fly the 744 from KJFK TO EGKK frequently and it would be nice if I could use the FAA departing New York and use the ICAO when entering the United Kingdom. That would be neat. But I don't think there would be a way to switch them in mid-flight. Anyway, thanks for the reminder; I had forgotten about EditVoicePack. By the way, are there ever updates for the program itself?

Thanks,

Tim
    Thank you,
    Tim

ASUS CG8350; Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz/3.8 GHz Boost; 8 GB DDR3 Memory; System BUS 1350 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560Ti 1GB GDDR5; Windows 7 Home Premium x64; Thermaltake 850-Watt Power Supply

Wow, Don! That sounds very complex for an old man like me. I don't remember FS9 being that hard to do. I just downloaded a replacement aircraft for each of the AI planes in FS9. Can't you do something like that for FSX? I don't mean to sound lazy, I'm just lazy.

Thanks,

Tim
    Thank you,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTower View Post
    Can't you do something like that for FSX?
    Sure, just use the WOAI installer, set for FSX, pointed to your FSX installation, and go. Just be sure you use the same location every time.

I like using the permanent dummy folder because I want to know what, and where, things are installed into my FSX. Important to me.
    Sounds complicated, but it really isn't. I use the FS9 mode only because it's folders are one-for-one for my FS9 install. Copy/Paste.

The Traffic*.bgls can be located anywhere and activated via the menu.
    Having a dozen segregated folders is not hard to set up, but, if you have almost 800 Traffic*.bgls, like I do, it is much easier to troubleshoot.

I also get to keep all of those "AI only" planes(18.8GB) out of my FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes folder(another subject), reducing clutter...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Don,

Soon after FS2004 was released there were several packages released with repaints of the default FS2004 aircraft - the B737-400, B747-400, B777-300, Dash8-100 and MD-83 with real world airlines. That gave folks real world airline repaints as AI using the default traffic file.

Used them myself until TTools was updated to minimal compatibility with FS2004. I think this is what Tim is referring to. It was extremely simple - just copy the texture folders to the default aircraft folders and replace the original repaints.

Tim,

What Don is describing is very easy to learn to use though it sounds complicated. The basic concept is the same as we've used for a long time with FS2004. In fact almost all the FSX AI aircraft we use are actually FS2004 aircraft and packages designed for FS2004. We can have a complete FS9 AI setup flying in FSX.

There are some FSX specific AI packages - those are the three payware packages. At this point Ultimate Traffic 2, My Traffic X and JustFlight's Traffic X all have AI models designed only for FSX . Those are simple installs with minimal action on the user part. However, they are payware. And to be truthful, to get the most for your money, you need to do a lot of work customizing the packages.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA