Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMP to JPG

Default BMP to JPG

Is it possible to change the default saving of screen grabs in FSX from BMP to JPG.
    Because of the formers size I'm always converting them to JPG.

Yours in Appreciation,

I don't think it's possible. See, we all like to have the screenies in JPG, but for that we have to convert them.
    But you're the first one who asks
    Keep up soaring,

GermanPilot

Hello Jesper.
    Saving them first in the BMP format preserves a much higher quality picture for use later. Saving anything into a JPG format will reduce the overall picture quality of a screenshot. I use FSScreen to capture my screenshots (automatically saved as BMP) by pressing the PrtScrn button. I then use EZ-Thumbnails to resize the pixels to fit within the 195.3kb restrictions of this Forum. EZ-Thumbnail automatically converts them to the JPG format when saving.

I have the EZ software settings set to Autodetect, algorithm=Smart, Resize=Shrink-to-Fit. I can adjust the total pixel size by just clicking the mouse up, or down the scale. It's very easy to use, hence the name. And it's all FREE.

I hope this helps. ~Glenn

Name:  tn_fsscr007 (2).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  179.6 KB
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

This might be easier. I use the v to do the screenshot and at the end of the flight I transfer the shot out of FSX and save it to My Documents. It's still in the BMP format. I bring up the paint program and paste the BMP screenshot to it and then save as a JPEG image.

Next alternative is printscreen to capture the image-bring up paint-press control v to paste on the image- then "save as" JPEG image.

Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Take everything I say with a grain of salt and maybe some pepper! There's no such thing as too much garlic!

I use Irfan View ( http://www.irfanview.com/ ) to batch convert them all at once and save myself a lot of clicking! Then delete the original BMPs and bob's your mother's brother!

A second for IrfanView for all your screenshot needs.

I'm doing it a lot more complicated...I email the pictures to myself so that in my Mac I can open them in photoshop and then with "actions" it automatically resizes all the pictures and saves them for web in jpg. I will have to try those other alternatives to see if that workflow can be a little easier!

Thanks for all the replies and information.
    I too use IrfanView to batch convert and it is a great program.
    As HARDCUB2BEAT points out if I ever take an absolute pearler of a screenshot, the higher quality of the BMP would be useful.

Cheers

9. Default

Imagine a Program which lets you do a wide variety of ways to edit, alter, enhance and process batch conversion of your pictures in just a few clicks, Rea batch image converter is the easiest to use programs that can apply your desired option to all or selected pictures at once.
    Last edited by Ryan Ron; 10-22-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtrunz View Post
    I'm doing it a lot more complicated...I email the pictures to myself so that in my Mac I can open them in photoshop and then with "actions" it automatically resizes all the pictures and saves them for web in jpg. I will have to try those other alternatives to see if that workflow can be a little easier!
    I use actions too, but I use a "droplet". Check out "Automate > Create droplet". It makes a small excecutable that you can save in your screenshots folder, then all you have to do is select all your .bmps and drag/drop them on the droplet; it'll then open PS and run your action on the whole group. It's a bit faster too because it doesn't waste any time or CPU cycles drawing the pixels on screen while it works.

BTW why do you email them to yourself? Can't you run PS on Windows?

Jim