Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI ships in FS9

Default AI ships in FS9

Did anyone write down somewhere the definitive method for getting AI ships to function in FS9? I have been reading recently and one person says it is not possible to get a ship to go from one port to another and then back again, while another person says he has that figured out but doesn't explain how. Then there is the Japanese video that totally disagrees with a forum exchange involving Jon Patch. And all of that discussion took place a long time ago, but I am none the wiser now. Colour me confused and ill informed, and can somebody point me in the right direction please?

As far as I know, all AI ships I've seen have worked as aircraft models taxiing on a very long extended path.

I have a commercial scenery of VRMM which has several, one of TNCM also. I have a freeware of RJGG and RJBE (Kobe) which has ferries running between the mainland and the island airports.

I've also seen some Panama Canal scenery with AI ships moving back and forth. I've also seen ferries in places like Alaska, Puget Sound and the Med.

I've never heard of AI ships in FS2004 able to make long trips between distant ports. I've seen an attempt - but the AI ships (aircraft too slow to fly is how the flight dynamics were setup) tended to cross any land in the route in a basically straight line.

But I'm not sure it cannot be done.

Look at this file in the library to see one approach - corsica_aiships.zip and this one ai_kt_hb.zip and of course this one from Opa tallpack.zip
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

So the ferries run between ports on the mainland and the island airports? Then it is possible. I am not looking to cross the Atlantic, just to have a ferry hop from one island to another, and your Kobe sounds right. Did it come with an ai bgl to control the ferries? That would tell me more. Looking in general at ai ships in sceneries isn't too informative; I can see what they do but I am more interested in HOW they are persuaded to perform. I too have some ai ships in other folk's sceneries, but I still don't know details; are the (invisible) apron paths concrete or water? Is it all done with paths? Or is there "flight" between two runways at zero altitude? Parking at "gates heavy" or "docks"? Etc.

In the Hong Kong scenery, Opa (David Marshall) explains better than I can how he put the files together. There are several of the AFCAD files included which you can examine, and learn how to create your own. Go through the package and see how he put things together

(Note - David passed away July 28, 2011, otherwise, I'd not even reply to this thread and let the master help you.)

This file is the RJGG scenery - rjgg_v2.zip - with the AI ferries - two AFCADs are used RJG1 & RJG2 - so you can see how they are done. You will have to decompile the Traffic_rjg1.bgl file to see how the author setup the movements.

The Kobe scenery came from a link someone sent me of a Japanese web site. I cannot find that information today.
    Last edited by ReggieF5421; 06-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    Hello Dave

Understand I'm not an expert at AI ships - but I've plenty of experience with AI.

It looks like the taxiways and runways in the AFCAD files are zero width concrete routes. The runways appear to be about 328-350 feet long, and 3 to 7 feet wide concrete. There are no start locations on the 'runways'.

To run ferries/ ships between two islands - There has to be a single AFCAD for each island - with a parking spot on one island, and the runway near the ferry terminal on the other. One AFCAD goes from Island A to Island B, and the other AFCAD goes from Island B to Island A.

The traffic file has to be setup for the 'aircraft' to go from the same airport to the same airport - an example from the RJGG scenery

AC#8,KATOREA,10%,1Hr,VFR,00:00:00,00:15:00,155,F,5240,RJG2,01:00:00,01:15:00,145,F,5241,RJG2
    AC#4,ASUKA,10%,1Hr,VFR,00:10:00,00:25:00,155,F,1040,RJG1,01:10:00,01:25:00,145,F,1041,RJG1
    The ship which is the aircraft never 'takes off'. It taxis from the parking spot along the route you setup with taxiways, and gets to the small runway - which you setup at the ferry terminal on the destination island. After a few minutes (should be 15 min if it works like normal AI) the 'aircraft' is ready, but unable to takeoff and is deleted by the AI engine.

I'm not sure but I would assume that the RJG2 runway is located near the RJG1 parking - so it would appear that the ferry makes a return trip.

As far as parking - type doesn't matter. You are going to have only a very limited number of 'aircraft' as FS looks at your ferries/ ships - the only thing is that the parking needs to be the right size - which is likely near or over 100M. Ships are big.

Some of the taxi routes I've seen looking at a few of the AFCAD files show distances of over 15 miles. At a normal taxi speed that can take almost an hour for the 'aircraft' to complete its route.
    Last edited by ReggieF5421; 06-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Hello Dave

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I am now up and trotting (which is the same as running but with less certainty) and thanks too to Holger Sandmann who gave me some additional email guidance. Dutch Harbor is now appearing slightly more life-like.

It would be nice to see AI ships in FS9

Asus X550V
    Windows 8, Intel i5, NVIDIA GeForce GT720M, 6 GB/RAM

Blog Entries

Download Glacier Bay Adam, there are some AI vessels that run between Juneau, Skagway, etc. Awesome scenery addon if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conten...e=glbayv2*.zip

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Download Glacier Bay Adam, there are some AI vessels that run between Juneau, Skagway, etc. Awesome scenery addon if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conten...e=glbayv2*.zip

Jim
    No, I havent. But Im now cheking it out!

Asus X550V
    Windows 8, Intel i5, NVIDIA GeForce GT720M, 6 GB/RAM

Blog Entries

See ya in a few months, lol