Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ils landing in fsx learjet45

Angry ils landing in fsx learjet45

I am not able to automatically intercept the glide slope. I understand that in "nav" and "app" mode on, the nav1 radio set to the prescribed ils frequency and active (I hear the morse code beeps), and at prescribed ailtitude for intercepting the slope, the plane should automatically intercept the glide slope (and cause the "alt" light to go out) and begin the descent. I can't get this to work. First of all, the plane will not track the approach (autopilot on) unless in "gps" mode. As soon as I press "nav" the plane stops tracking the approach. When I expect the plane to automatically capture the glide slope, it just keeps on going at prescribed altitude. If it makes any difference, I have the "hdg" set to the runway bearing and I have armed the spoilers. What am I doing wrong?

I cannot answer your question directly as I fly almost exclusively in the bush and hand fly all my approaches. However, I found this tutorial that may be of assistance.
    Bruce
    http://www.toomuchfs.com/tutorials/ILS/tutorial_ils.htm

btw Google found this in .28 seconds
    I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Thank you for your response. I can land the plane manually- although I can use more practice. The website you referred me to had some good oversight. However they are landing in "heavies" aircraft. The Learjet is a little different. I have been able to automatically intercept the glide slope landing a 737. Just can't get it to work on the Learjet

rapyde00, is your "course" set to the rwy hdg also?

aputech

You know, I always thought the "hdg" and "course" button were the same thing. However, I noticed that the Wilco 737 panel has both. The fsx Learjet panel only has the "hdg" selector. I had a flight plan loaded. I flew into Albuquerque NM, KABQ atc mode. Atc vectored me in to the final approach to runway 8. I also tried keying the airport into the gps and selecting the approach for runway "ILS 08" and activating the approach vectors to final, but that didn't make any difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rapyde00 View Post
    The fsx Learjet panel only has the "hdg" selector.
    No, the course knob is just to the left of the HDG knob, directly below the flight director switch (labeled "FD1").

Quote Originally Posted by rapyde00 View Post
    I also tried keying the airport into the gps and selecting the approach for runway "ILS 08" and activating the approach vectors to final, but that didn't make any difference.
    That would explain why having the NAV/GPS switch in the "GPS" position kept you on a lateral path, however there is never any vertical guidance when in "GPS" mode. You must have had something else wrong.

So go back and try it again, set your NAV1 radio to 111.9 and your course selector to 79°. NAV/GPS switch in "NAV" mode this time. Climb out to about 7500', fly the pattern and line up roughly on Rwy08 about 10 miles out. Click the "NAV" button and the aircraft should line itself up on the localizer, continue at 7500' until you start to see the glideslope indicator start to move, then click "APP" and it should start to follow the glideslope as well.

Jim

7. Default

Good day,
    I had this problem with the Lear until I remembered that the APP would only work if you were intercepting the GS from below.
    Could this be your problem?

Found the course selector (labeled omnibearing selector) and set to 79 and followed your prescribed procedure but it did still not work. When selecting the nav button the plane still does not want to track the course although I can manually keep it on course. The only activity on the glideslope is the appearance of a little white box with a green circle inside that appears for a few moments. I then selected the app button but the plane still does not capture the glideslope nor is there any other activity on the glideslope indicator. The course selector is the only selector on the panel that does not show you the brg as you dial it- although it does move the pink localizer needle (in the nav mode) and you can line it up pretty close that way

Hi, I tried the approach at 7100 or 7200 feet instead of 7400 but that didn't make any difference. Thank you for the comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    So go back and try it again, set your NAV1 radio to 111.9 and your course selector to 79°. NAV/GPS switch in "NAV" mode this time. Climb out to about 7500', fly the pattern and line up roughly on Rwy08 about 10 miles out.
    Jim
    7500ft at 10nm is far too high. The height of a 3 deg glideslope at 10 nm is less than 3200 ft. 3000 ft is a realistic height.