View Poll Results: Do You Own Prepare3D?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 21.05%
  • No

45 78.95%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Prepare3D Poll

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    ...If your sole intent with it would be to post screenshots, then you would very likely fall under the entertainment software restriction of their licence.
    Oh to hell with P3D then, I'm O-U-T..

Several things - only LM can determine who qualifies for the "academic" version much as MS has the student version of MS Office available. So it's their call - if they say no - you won't be able to buy it. Anything else is speculation and between LM and MS not us.

Now as to P3D observations -

Both my systems are highly optimized and run FSX at a constant 30fps with no stutters or blurries. I put P3D on my second system and configured several of my add-ons (more on this later) and it runs just as well as FSX with the same sliders. What I have heard from other users is that P3D really shines on lesser systems -meaning that it will run better on slower hardware than FSX.

For me, the main thing is that P3D is still under development whereas FSX has been killed by MS. The P3D version 2.0 when released is supposed to provide DX11 support which would be a big plus.

If you are really happy with your FSX install and get good smooth operation, then the only reason to change is curiosity and the possibility of further development. If your system runs FSX marginally, tyhen P3D might be for you.

Now - add-ons - this is tricky - have not had a problem with any freeware a/c. Instead of FSX/SimObjects it is Prepar3D/SimObjects. There is a payware ($14.95 USD) tool available that makes the installer think it's going into FSX so it keeps the registry, etc fine. Any add-on without registry entries should copy over with no problem.

HOWEVER - payware - without getting into a discussion on licensing - check with your developer - some provide free upgrades to P3D, some have a small fee and some will NOT allow you to use their product with P3D at this time. There are also some that flat do not work.

Just as a FYI - Carenado supports P3d, REX supports P3D, AS2012 supports P3D.

WOAI works just fine

TRACK-IR does NOT work natively yet but there is a workaround using EZDOK software.

FSGenesis landclass - no problems

A2A accusim aircraft install with no issues.

Plan-G works

All in all, I quite enjoy P3D as much as FSX - not better but just as much.

edit: Just because a program works in P3D AND the developer allows its use, does not necessarily mean that AT THIS TIME they will provide support if you run into a problem. LM will provide support for P3D but not as it relates to add -ons. However there is a growing P3D community that is gaining more and more experience with the platform.

HTH,

Vic
    Last edited by vgbaron; 06-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    P3D Rig
    I7 3770K @ 4.73ghz Asus Sabertooth Z77 16G G.Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 2T 2 x EVGAGTX780 SLI Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF 942 - Corsiar H100i Liquid Cooler W7 64 Home Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    What subject is avoided? P3D? Because of what the threads digress into, this poll being a prime example.
    Yes, you are right, there are any comments, opinions and questions, but thats good, it means that many people are interested in P3D. And I think thats because P3D is like the last chance for FSX to stay alive.

I can't find out how many members these forums have but it imagine that it's in tens of thousands. that makes the 57 current responses statistically meaningless.

The P3D Academic Licence reads:

"1. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a fully paid-up, nontransferable, nonexclusive license during the Term of this EULA to use the Software: (1) on a single computer, (2) by no more than one user at any one time, (3) in connection with [education programs for elementary through undergraduate students in fundamental academic disciplines such as science, technology, engineering and math, including history and social sciences related thereto, but NOT in connection with professional training or certification of any kind, including, but not limited to, military training, emergency responder training, commercial flight training, private pilot training, air traffic control training, airport ground control/logistics training, driver training or nautical training], (4) by students, instructors and staff associated with Licensee's [education programs for elementary through undergraduate students in fundamental academic disciplines such as science, technology, engineering and math, including history and social sciences related thereto, but NOT in connection with professional training or certification of any kind, including, but not limited to, military training, emergency responder training, commercial flight training, private pilot training, air traffic control training, airport ground control/logistics training, driver training or nautical training], , and (5) in the Territory."
    Last edited by mgh; 06-01-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam24 View Post
    Yes, you are right, there are any comments, opinions and questions, but thats good, it means that many people are interested in P3D. And I think thats because P3D is like the last chance for FSX to stay alive.
    Huh mate? Isn't FSX alive and kicking?..
    Just because developers have pulled the plug on a game doesn't mean it's finished, as many older games and sims are still going strong because of a healthy community fanbase (like FSX's) keeping them alive with addons and forums years after the developers have packed their bags and vamoosed.
    I bought my set of 3 FSX Gold Edition disks about 4 years ago and my only concern is whether the registration key will still be valid if I re-install FSX on a new PC 5, 10 or 20 years from now, but i'll cross that bridge if/when i come to it, ha ha!

6. Default My two cents...

As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.
    How hard is it for people to understand the underlined sentence?

1. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a fully paid-up, nontransferable, nonsublicensable, nonexclusive license during the Term of this EULA to use the Software, but only on no more than one computer at any one time, only by no more than one user at any one time, and only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.
    Note the underline sentence, the software is not for personal/consumer use.

Why are people making it difficult that it is?

The software is geared for commercial / educational markets not for the personal / consumer markets.

You can beat the language of the license(s) to death. It is not going to change the fact that on their website and license(s) they state it is not for personal / consumer use.

I think that people are making more out the issue of the license that it really needs to be.

Plus, this poll was to find out who owned the product and if there is interest in having a forum to dicuss it.

This my two cents about this subject ...
    Last edited by IvanOhio; 06-01-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added quotation

Quote Originally Posted by IvanOhio View Post
    How hard is it for people to understand the underlined sentence?

Why are people making it difficult that it is?
    Because for some reason they just don't want to accept it.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    Because for some reason they just don't want to accept it.
    I would have to accept that mgh, sort like a kid wanting that candy bar for .75 cents and the parent can only afford the stuff from the penny candy jars.

OK, now that we have totally taken a poll thread and gone in every which direction, Nels and the staff can make their decision. And for now this one is done.