Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who still uses FS98?

Default Who still uses FS98?

Who still uses FS98? Why? Is it worth using it, when there are sims like XPlane 10 and FSX?

2. Default

I always liked the way of navigation by beacon in FS98. Every once and a while I'll throw in the disk.

3. Default

I had two choices- Build a nice computer for FSX and be broke, or play fs98 and have money for real lessons Also I've made fs98 way better with mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain SkyBlazer420 View Post
    I had two choices- Build a nice computer for FSX and be broke, or play fs98 and have money for real lessons Also I've made fs98 way better with mods.
    Or use FS2002... thats what I chose for almost a year

I installed it about a week ago. I created a a very small virtual machine using VMware Fusion. Gave myself 5GB of hard disk space and 128MB of ram and installed Windows and FS98.

I've now got all the great scenery files from yesteryear. It's wonderful. FSNavigator, Norway scenery, VFR England and Wales....etc, really is good. Yes, it's nowhere near as good as FSX or X-Plane, but the procedures are still the same and in someways it makes you use your imagination more.

There are some really great files out there. So, for anybody who wants to make a simple virtual machine and fly, it's perfect.

I still use a much modified version of old98 .I know little of real aviation and I'm not a combat type. 98 and
    cfs1 are robust old programs.Of course i have my own textures (some back imported from later sims) palette
    with more greens .A lot of my textures join seemlessly.my own sky which looks well real .my delight is to use
    obscure old opcodes. I like special effects , I have my own static library for often used objects.My latest 'thing'
    is to use the bgl_text opcode-just for fun.Cfs1 has an improved graphics engine and has 1 foot in the simple
    seed stuff and another in the 3Dterrain world (you realy need Cfo.dll to have save/select flights and advanced
    weather videos ect.) it was based on a much improved Fs98 skybox-type sim.the only prob is the yukkie purple
    horizon bar. If you are interested in a time when flightsim was relatvly simple fun i'm at wmgillies@yahoo.co.uk

Hey Guys!

I still use FS98 of course and I would like to get in contact with more of the groupe of "still flying the good old 98".

Cheers Andre

8. Default

I still play it when I have the time. Its really a great little sim especially with all the Mods available. Thanks guys and gals for making some really great planes and airports for FS98. I don't play FS9 or FSX because I really can't play them on my old rig. I can play FS9 but with all the bells and whistles turned down very low.

9. Default

it is a pretty good old program. Still flying it...mostly because i can't afford a better computer.

Quote Originally Posted by razzr tap View Post
    it is a pretty good old program. Still flying it...mostly because i can't afford a better computer.
    Well, I agree, it's a very good program... but it's a classic!
    C'mon, still using FS98? Try FS2002, basically any low end PC with W98+ can run it

Asus X550V
    Windows 8, Intel i5, NVIDIA GeForce GT720M, 6 GB/RAM