Thread: AI and ILS

Default AI and ILS

I know the AI are flying robotic paths, but what actually guides them to a runway? Obviously not ILS since it isn't available everywhere ...and isn't always accurate. The latter is what finally elicited this question. After waving off a landing where the AP approach was bringing me down perfectly aligned with the taxiway, I watched the AI performing perfect approaches and landings on the runway.

An interesting article. Thanks.

But its implication is the AI will use an ILS if available and use a hard coded generic approach otherwise. This doesn't explain why the ILS brought me in 50 yards off the runway while the AI were making perfect landings on the runway, unless the AI weren't using the ILS.

3. Default

AI aircrafts use the ILS approach if available, not the ILS (localizer, glidepath, DME)

as far as I have understood Jim Vile

Quote Originally Posted by jgf View Post
    An interesting article. Thanks.

But its implication is the AI will use an ILS if available and use a hard coded generic approach otherwise. This doesn't explain why the ILS brought me in 50 yards off the runway while the AI were making perfect landings on the runway, unless the AI weren't using the ILS.

hgschnell your post is correct

I will try and simplify some of my post.

A basic rule

The AI Plane always aligns with the center line of the runway at some point during the approach.
    The User Plane always aligns with the Localizer symbol position (lat/lon) and heading as seen with any type airport utility.

jim
    Last edited by jvile; 05-17-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Interesting. I wonder why MS didn't program the ILS to always be centered on the runway, that would greatly simplify things (and eliminate much of my ongoing search for better afcads ...accurate elevations and navaids are more important to me than sufficient parking for the entire worlds commercial carrier fleet).

Thanks for the info.

I'm not 100% sure here, but not all ILS's are alligned with the center of the runways in real life. I can think of a few that I visit in FS9 that are offset in real life. Innsbruck being one.

This could explain some of the ILS offsets at least, others are probably just badly programmed, as you say.

Paul

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jgf View Post
    I know the AI are flying robotic paths, but what actually guides them to a runway?
    The AI plane's position and the runway's position and orientation are stored in the computer's memory.
    With that it becomes a matter of arithmetic do determine how to fly to it.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtyfreak View Post
    I'm not 100% sure here, but not all ILS's are alligned with the center of the runways in real life. I can think of a few that I visit in FS9 that are offset in real life. Innsbruck being one.

Paul
    Deleted...

Helps when you thoroughly read the post.

My Bad