Thread: Windows XP Service pack probs.

Default Windows XP Service pack probs.

Question: Can you install "Windows XP Service pack 3" to a freshly installed Win XP Home 32bit OS without installing Service packs 1 & 2 ? Or are service packs 1 & 2 incorporated in a new SP 3 D/L ?

This was done on my new win XP 32 bit OS reinstall. I was looking at Microsoft explaining how to install service packs and it was hard to understand ( for me anyway ) but I'm sure if SP 1 & 2 are not in SP 3 then I'm in trouble. LOL

Also doesn't FSX Acceleration have Service pack 2 ?

Somethings messing up FSX/Acceleration Gold so I'm asking the ones that know.

Thanks.

2. Default

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ice-pack-3-sp3

...." Learn how to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an important update that includes previously released security, performance, and stability updates for Windows XP.
    How to get SP3

The recommended (and easiest) way to get SP3 is to turn on Automatic Updates. For more information, see Set up Automatic Updates.

Automatic Updates can automatically download SP3 when it's available for your computer. You just need a few clicks to begin the installation and the rest of the process is automatic. If Automatic Updates isn't turned on, you can install SP3 by using Windows Update at the Windows website.

In order to install SP3, you must first have Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed. These are also available when you have Automatic Updates turned on. For more information about these and other Windows service packs, go to the Service Pack Center. "....

3. Default

I don't remember whether or not ACCELERATION has SP2 with it. It does NOT sound to me as if SP3 also contains SP1 and SP2.
    It sounds like you need to get all 3 SPs to be safe and install in order.

Personally, I have downloaded all three SP's and burned them to CD as I have quite a few desktops that run Windows XP Pro and if I ever need to replace a hard drive, I have an XP Pro OS CD and the 3 Packs. XP Pro runs FSX ACCELERATION just fine for me on my Dell GX270 desktops.

I had a little misunderstanding with the guy whom installed a processor for me and he removed win XP Home 32 bit and installed Win7. I did not want Win7 ( twas a misunderstanding like I said ) so he reinstalled XP Home 32 bit ( it's taken me two days so far to reinstall what was lost ) and I noticed that only SP 3 was installed, so I was alarmed. Not sure if I can remove SP 3 with out screwing something up. I know how and where to get SP 1 and 2 but Microsoft says you must install in order like 1-2 & 3.
    So far it seems everything is working OK with just the #3 pack in. That's why I was asking if 1 & 2 may be included with SP 3. Like some patches where 1 and 2 are incorporated in 3. Can't find that info at Micro$oft though.

Before I found out about 1 & 2 missing I had already installed FSX and Acceleration ( Gold Edition ) but FSX is not doing well like it was before I got the bright idea of a bigger processor.

To late tonight for me ( getting very sleepy ) but sometime tomorrow ( today already ) I'll D/L SP 1 and 2, burn them to disc and go from there.

Geez the $ we spend on our Sim/Games. ....Crazy........LOL

I noticed that only SP 3 was installed
    Often only the most recent service pack will be shown. And they usually won't let you install them without having the prerequisite service packs already installed.

Acceleration includes FSX SP1 and SP2. When installing Acceleration, it will check for SP1 and install it if necessary. The SP2 code is included in the expansion, so doesn't need to be installed separately.

So basically it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by Beechbum1 View Post
    I had a little misunderstanding with the guy whom installed a processor for me and he removed win XP Home 32 bit and installed Win7. I did not want Win7 ( twas a misunderstanding like I said ) so he reinstalled XP Home 32 bit ( it's taken me two days so far to reinstall what was lost ) and I noticed that only SP 3 was installed, so I was alarmed. Not sure if I can remove SP 3 with out screwing something up. I know how and where to get SP 1 and 2 but Microsoft says you must install in order like 1-2 & 3.
    So far it seems everything is working OK with just the #3 pack in. That's why I was asking if 1 & 2 may be included with SP 3. Like some patches where 1 and 2 are incorporated in 3. Can't find that info at Micro$oft though.

Before I found out about 1 & 2 missing I had already installed FSX and Acceleration ( Gold Edition ) but FSX is not doing well like it was before I got the bright idea of a bigger processor.

To late tonight for me ( getting very sleepy ) but sometime tomorrow ( today already ) I'll D/L SP 1 and 2, burn them to disc and go from there.

Geez the $ we spend on our Sim/Games. ....Crazy........LOL
    As Loki mentioned that your system will show the last service pack for your operating system installed. I would suggest you look at your update history to see what was installed. If you did your updates then it would of done the correct order of service packs and updates needed for your system.

Please note that the service packs for FSX is not related to your operating system in anyway. They are for the FSX software only.

Also note, the service lifecyle for XP with service pack 3 ends April 8, 2014. After that there will be no more updates for that OS.

Hi.
    XP = SP3 contains all the updates from SP1 & 2. If you have SP3 on a disc just run it after you install the OS. Once on-line there will be more updates from MS (updates to SP3). If not, MS will do it automatically for you if you have the Auto-Updates enabled.

FSX = Accelleration Pack includes the SP to FSX. As you have FSX + Acc Gold, just install one after the other.
    * Don't confuse the SP's for the OS and FSX - they are completely different.

"Somethings messing up FSX/Acceleration Gold so I'm asking the ones that know"
    If you could be more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by montys View Post
    Hi.
    "Somethings messing up FSX/Acceleration Gold so I'm asking the ones that know"
    If you could be more specific?
    Look here as I made this post prior to this one as I was about to panic.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...66#post1678966