Thread: FSX - Running on "Snail Time"

Default FSX - Running on "Snail Time" (Semi-Fixed!)

Well, guys this is why I'm not super happy with FSX yet.

The pictures really look great, don't they?

I should be overjoyed, right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_fsscr000.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	126509

Name:	tn_fsscr001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	126510

Name:	tn_fsscr002.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	126511

But I not... I'm very frustrated, which is often an FSX symptom I've been told.

Well... the truth is I don't know exactly what has happened since last week, but suddenly my FSX is crawling @ a mere 7.8 FPS when visiting one of the beautiful Orbx FTX NA airports such as Diamond Point, shown in the pictures above. Plus, you will notice I am reduced to using the default FSX weather theme titled "Fair Weather" to even use any clouds. REX and ASE now suddenly bring the simulator to a screeching halt, with weird videocard anomalies such as vertically striped skies, etc.

I haven't flown FSX in over a week.

I have been downloading all 13 of the FTX_NA airports I purchased on April 1st, 2012 this year. It was a whopping 22.0 GB of scenery packages, including all of the needed patches too!!! It took most of a week to download them all as I could find extra time, and then it took almost 2 days to install all of it between my everyday activities caring for my family. Then I defragged everything with Disktrix's newest version of Ultimate Defrag. I figured that should give me some pretty amazing visual results and performance. I still have about 75% of free hard drive space.

But it hasn't. Suddenly I am crawling. What did I do wrong? Any ideas? I followed the manual instructions on the settings needed for the scenery. Everything was working incredibly well prior to downloading/installing the entire line of incredible PNW NA scenery packages. (sigh)

Oh well. Such is FSX. It happens. Which is why I am going back to fly my FS2004 now, because I know it performs just beautifully and gives me exceptional frame rates.

Have a great day! ~Glenn

Microsoft FSX Deluxe Gold-Edition
    Carenado Piper PA-180 Cherokee
    Orbx FTX PNW North America
    Orbx FTX Diamond Point Airport
    ENBseries
    FSScreen + EZ-Thumbails v3.0
    1920x1200x32m pixels original .bmp converted to .jpg (resized/ Not Edited)
    Last edited by HardCub; 05-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

Your shots look good but I agree 7.8 FPS is not good. On some of my orbx sceneries I have move some of the sliders to the left a little to get them to run smooth. Also there is a nice tool called Game Booster that will shut down all the stuff running in the background. I hope you find a solution, sounds like you have a lot invested in FSX.

Thanks John. I am running the latest version of GameBooster. I am still investigating... will let y'all know what I learn.
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

Blog Entries

Glenn, i´m very sorry to hear about your worries about FSX. I feel your pain - believe me my friend!
    But, FSX is it worth to go through it, i think! First, i see no other possibility than to uninstall the airport sceneries except
    the PNW area. Then trying the frames again. With your system (i have the same CPU and GPU, but XP/32bit/4) you should
    have with the default aircraft at least frame rates between 30 and 80. Then install the airports again - step by step, always
    testing the frames after installing. I would disable all things like object-, people- or nature flow, check the results with and without static
    aircraft/trucks/cars (frame killer!), volumetric grass max level 1 of 3. Try the FPS Extreme Booster, i had an increase in performance of
    nearly 50% - but this program is not indisputable as it changes the config without telling you what exactly.
    I just made a quick round with the CS 727 (1920*1080*32, full screen mode, most sliders right) at Skagit and had in VC sight 20 fps
    on final and touch down. My problem is the RAM! after this flight FSX was been running out of memory! That´s the point why i ordered a new system (i7 3930K, GTX580Phantom, ASUS board, 16 GB, SSD). About 2000,-- EURO - for the next years having fun with
    FSX/Prepar 3D stuff. Maybe you should think about it too? If you feel scruples in investing so much money - it is your hobby and no cent is wasted! Other men in our ages go to Bars and wasting money in drinking alcohol... WE are at home and our families always know where to find us.
    Wish you luck, Sir! Allways keep the blue side up....

Thorsten

Blog Entries

Nice shots Glenn.

Did you re-boot after installing the indvidual sceneries???? Just a thought.

Thank you guys for your helpful advice. I have gotten part of the problem straightened out I think. It's still not running as smoothly as it was before, but it is much better. Frames are now between 15 - 28 on average... acceptable.

I forgot to reboot after each scenery was loaded. I can't believe I forgot that part. Dumb me for sure! I guess best thing would be to start all over, but not going that route just yet. I am just taking it easy for now... FS2004 is still my flightsim of choice.

Here's a few pictures of the Orbx FTX Anacortes Airport scenery.

Name:	tn_fsscr035.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	126914

Name:	tn_fsscr036.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	126915

Name:	tn_fsscr037.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	126916

I hope you guys are enjoying a wonderful weekend.