How do you keep FSX interesting?

Get your Cessna and the freeware scenery for the Scottish islands and start flying. Short flights, a huge range of airports and landing strips and fabulous scenery. you can do a lot in a short time using VFR, IFR & GPs however you want to do it.

When you get past this try the Phillipines for a similar experience.

Bob

+1 For Scotland!! I still have family over there and fly there RW (commercial) and by sim as often as possible!

I haven't been to the Phillipines RW since the 60's and didn't see much then, of the country itself. I'll have to hunt up some free-ware and see what it looks like outside the bars!!:p

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Well, then! You must be familiar with the Cherry Club in Olongapo!;)

I can't say.:confused: Seems like a few details were/are a blur!:p But yes, I was in Olongapo a couple of times, or maybe more.:confused:

I try landing different planes at Lukla in Nepal. VNLK. Very challenging approach and landing. Scenery addon recommended. Practically mandatory in fact as standard textures are not good and if I remember correctly even the runway heading is not correct.

Good fun

Bart

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bart

Well, then! You must be familiar with the Cherry Club in Olongapo!

No, but hows about the Neepa Hut in Angeles City? Heck of a place, but the Hut AND Angeles :D

Fantastic food at the street vendors though! Great PC's, and the girls are fantastic.

Of course, the AF gals on base were very lonely and bored. I moved in with a couple gals in the AF barracks, right across the parking lot from a chow hall, and the bus that took us to work stopped there. I was in heaven. :D

It was a real sad day when Pinatubo buried Clark AB, IMO :( I had a great time, never had to leave the base!

Great flights to you all, wherever you go to fly :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I try landing different planes at Lukla in Nepal. VNLK. Very challenging approach and landing. Scenery addon recommended. Practically mandatory in fact as standard textures are not good and if I remember correctly even the runway heading is not correct.

Good fun

Bart

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Good suggestion! That airport ranks right up there with VQPR (Paro Bhutan)!:pilot::pilot::eek:

I sometimes like to try landing in puddles in people's back yards.

This is the default FSX scenery in Florida a few miles SW of Palm Beach Airport (KLNA), there are swampy lakes everywhere,

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-puddle1.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-puddle2.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Mick, THANKS SO MUCH FOR KEEPING ALL THESE INDEXES GOING ALL THESE YEARS!

I just stumbled across this 2012 post and had a HUGE-HUGE LAUGH!! Not at you, but at how the residents of Palm beach, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. would react to your description of their favorite, and unbelievably expensive spots!!

:p:p

THOSE AREN'T SWAMPY LAKES AND MUD PUDDLES!! THEY ARE CANALS TO LET PEOPLE PARK THEIR PLEASURE BOATS, OFTEN 80' OR LARGER, IN THEIR BACKYARD! It may not look like it from FSX or any other software I know, but all those canals are interconnected and have access to the Atlantic Ocean. You're not "In" in Southern Florida unless you can run your boat from your yard to Bermuda or wherever!

If you think the traffic on M-25 is heavy during rush hour. You should see the boat traffic converging into these canals from the ocean on a Sunday afternoon!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I've "ferried" (moved) a few boats for owners to and from Florida over the years. During those trips the most scary and tense part is always going through the canal gateways!! For one thing, by evening half the boaters are DRUNK! So I now anchor out or stay at a out of range marina till the next day to avoid the weekenders!!

Sadly in the US the only qualification you have to have to operate a 90knt+, 40'+ boat is the money to buy it!!!:mad::mad:

And during the summer, though illegal, when schools are closed it's not really uncommon to encounter a boat load of teen-aged water skiers or wake boarders enjoying their sport in these canals. This is usually during the week! I've often wondered if their parents even knew they had the boat out??

HELSINKI to MOSCOW

Mathias Rust risked his neck to do the unauthorised flight in his Cessna 172 in 1987, annoying the Russians by landing in Red Square; we can try it in FSX with zero risk..:)-

FULL WRITEUP HERE- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust

Excellent suggestions LOL

I tried it. Plane seems to always crash into building which are far enough away.

Bart

The willdlife might object to having their peace disturbed..;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]192750[/ATTACH]

Mick! That is so cool!! :cool::cool::cool: Although the wildlife creatures, if they are any still there, would have trouble finding anything to attack under at least a 40' or even larger boat! I brought a 42' trawler through there once and it was by far the smallest boat in that huge traffic jam!

• 3 weeks later...
get a real aviation chart (not a map!) and try it there. Road type maps are harder to use than air charts, the main roads often from the air don't stand out where as a disused railway line does. I'm a real world pilot so like to compare the two.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this has been posted before but here are some great ideas for interesting approaches:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/pilots-reveal-their-favourite-airports-to-land-at/

Enjoy! IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if this has been posted before but here are some great ideas for interesting approaches:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/pilots-reveal-their-favourite-airports-to-land-at/

Enjoy! IAN

GREAT LINK IAN!! I've "been" to several of these places, though not all. Now I'll go back and try to duplicate each as described!:cool:

This is a great thread... I have several ideas I haven't seen here...

I'm always looking for new aircraft and sceneries I haven't seen or flown before. Recently I've been having fun with Piglet's Boeing 7072 spacecraft. I tweaked the .cfg to get it a lot higher and faster, pretty much to the limits of FSX.

I'm in the process of gradually flying every aircraft on every route ever flown by Pan Am. I have most of the aircraft and recently completed a round-the-world trip following Pan Am's routes from the 1930s-1960s. Switched aircraft along the way, flying different aircraft that flew those actual routes in history. Doing a few "what if" Pan Am routes such as Rock Sound-Tokyo in the 7072 and many Concorde routes.

The Tacpack combined with Tacpack-enabled vintage military aircraft such as the F-4, A-4, F-8, A-1, etc, the excellent Vietnam War scenery, and the CCP "Campaign Planner" allowed recreation of major air campaigns in Southeast Asia. I've accurately recreated many of the most famous air strikes in North Vietnam.

There is also fantastic freeware scenery of Laos and great freeware aircraft from Air America. I've recreated many actual Air America missions from the 1960s.

Using good freeware scenery with mostly payware aircraft with free repaints, and Active Sky Next, I've recreated the conditions of many famous airline mishaps from history, including all of the Pan Am 707 crashes in the 70s. I've also recreated most of the recent mishaps, such as Air France 447, Egyptair 804, the FlyDubai crash, etc. That is extremely educational and reveals much about how not to crash an airliner.

I've done Amelia Earhart's flight several times, modifying the standard FSX Electra to match the weights and performance of her L-10E Special, validating the hypothesis that she had enough fuel to reach Howland then turn south to Gardner. On the most realistic simulation of that flight I reached Gardner with about 12 gallons of gas.

Finally I fly a lot of real aircraft and have modified the FSX versions to be perfect copies of the real planes, including paint, panel, and even my face on the pilot. I often use these to simulate and plan real flights, or re-create memorable past flights. Once I was debating a real flight in bad weather, flew it in the simulator first using ASN, and decided to stay home and continue to fly the sim...

Some great ideas there cw5301, good luck in Nam..:)

Charlie vs US air-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos/CharlievUSAF.jpg

US air vs Charlie-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos/F-4-bomb.jpg

You've probably already seen the index to this thread on page 42, but just to remind members, here are some interesting flights for possible recreation-

p5- Earhart's last flight.

p8- California to Hawaii Dole air race.

p25-Flight 19 final flight route.

p34- Kingsford Smith trans-Pacific flight.

PS- Regarding Earhart, there are plenty of theories, my reading is she was flying into the rising sun as she approached Howland, so if there was any haze about she could have flown past the island by just a few miles without seeing it in the glare.

Baker island is 43 miles to the SSE so I supposed there's a possibility she could have stumbled on it and landed/crashlanded/ditched there, but Gardner is a whopping 405 miles SSE from Howland and I can't envisage a scenario that would put her right down there, but then I'm not a real-world pilot so what the heck do I know..:)

PS- what do you make of the loss of Flight 19? My take is that the flight leader saw some islands that were dead ringers for the Florida keys 100 miles away which made him become fixated with the erroneous belief that he was over the keys and that his compass was seriously off and he became totally disoriented from that point on.

At the opposite extreme of glider size is this freeware Messerschmitt Me 321 'Gigant' glider at 180 ft wingspan, I can't remember if it's FS2004, but it flies fine in FSX..:)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-gigant.gif

More posts and screenshots of gliders, thermals, towing etc in this thread on pages 3,4,5,6,8

At the opposite extreme of glider size is this freeware Messerschmitt Me 321 'Gigant' glider at 180 ft wingspan, I can't remember if it's FS2004, but it flies fine in FSX..:)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-gigant.gif

More posts and screenshots of gliders, thermals, towing etc in this thread on pages 3,4,5,6,8

WOW!! That's one ugly bird! :eek::eek::eek:

Over the years, I got bored with the point to point flying, so, I'm always trying new things, such as boats, cars & even trains. I witch between my P3Dv1.4, (no Dx10 on my laptop) & (dare I say it)FS2004 where I have all the add-ons from the Ford Tri-Motor project. They have ramps & sloping runways. Simming is supposed to be fun, fact & fiction, & I'm having a lot of fun.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa