How do you keep FSX interesting?

I have recently discovered that FSX actually keeps me interested like this morning, flying into Denver the dawn with the sun coming up was , to me, just amazing...also...I like flying at sunset and with the ORBX and ASN installed in FSX....life is pretty darn good.(especially when flying a PMDG Triple 7) al v

I have recently discovered that FSX actually keeps me interested like this morning, flying into Denver the dawn with the sun coming up was , to me, just amazing...also...I like flying at sunset and with the ORBX and ASN installed in FSX....life is pretty darn good.(especially when flying a PMDG Triple 7) al v

GREAT! I find FSX to be a non-druggy calmer. Like playing music on one of my horns.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

dspaulging,

We had a bunch of them in the Marine Corps too. Typically they were desk jockeys & bean counters who only flew their four hours a month to get their flight pay. Or to move Bob Hope and his girls from place to place.

We on the line were flying at least six or more hours seven days every week. But when they arrived in their spotless flight suits with their fancy painted hard hats, we were moved to the left seat (choppers) and could do nothing to suit them.

I had one C.O. who "flew" maybe ten hours a month. He sat in the right seat with his hog leg .44 handy. Anytime we flew into or out of a hot zone he'd stick his arm & .44 out the side window and shoot like he was Roy Rodgers or someone. Whoever was unfortunate enough to be in the left seat had to do the landing and takeoff without any backup!

Thanks for understanding. What's more strange is this guy wasn't a check airman or in training department. He was a regular line pilot. Later on, I learned from a FA that he has always been disliked, even when he was an FO. Some people are just goobers. Go figure.

Anyone who spent any time in the service knew "goobers" like them. Always someone, usually in a position of authority of some sort, who were just making a show of being "in command". They really just wanted to look good, like they thought the movies made Officers and such look.

A starched, pressed, tailored flight suit, special paint job on their helmet, probably done by an auto shop out in town, Corfram Boots...

"The very picture of the modern Major General", as the saying goes :D

Never spoke to enlisted, just spoke AT them. We were just faceless drones there to make them look like John Wayne...

Ah well, no more of that garbage for me!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Anyone who spent any time in the service knew "goobers" like them. Always someone, usually in a position of authority of some sort, who were just making a show of being "in command". They really just wanted to look good, like they thought the movies made Officers and such look.

A starched, pressed, tailored flight suit, special paint job on their helmet, probably done by an auto shop out in town, Corfram Boots...

"The very picture of the modern Major General", as the saying goes :D

Never spoke to enlisted, just spoke AT them. We were just faceless drones there to make them look like John Wayne...

Ah well, no more of that garbage for me!

Pat☺

Did you call 'em Zeros? There were actually 3 that had my respect while I was in, 2 were Mustangs and the 3rd was my Avionics Officer in my last squadron. We stopped by the OHT in Oak Harbor, Washington and he treated me to a schooner of beer on my last day!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

There are so many artistic scenery creators who post their work free of charge on this site that I never tire of trying out different airports they develop. That and testing out aircraft that they create. Never ending supply of new work to try and it never gets old.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Did you call 'em Zeros? There were actually 3 that had my respect while I was in, 2 were Mustangs and the 3rd was my Avionics Officer in my last squadron.

We had a mustanger in AIMD Avionics in Yuma for a While. A Capt. Cooper. I was phone watch one day at lunch time when a call came in for a MAJ. Cooper. It dawned on me pretty quick, but it took him a minute to get it. All of Avionics had been waiting for this day, as Capt. Cooper was THE best officer we'd ever met, bar none, but because he was a Mustang, and didn't like to play the politics, it took a long time. I was happy that I was the one that was able to give him the good news.

He even had been keeping a pair of Oak Leaves in his desk drawer for who knows how long. Looked great when he came out of his office with them on. He gave me his old, worn Capt's bars as a reward. I still have them, along with all the rank insignia I was gven for qualing people expert on the Range when I was a coach.

The word spread like wildfire too. The phones were burning up. No cell phones back then...

And yes, we called a lot of them Zero's :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Just as a diehard FS enthusiast and commercial jet hobbyist, I think FSPassengers really helps keeps me motivated to have a clean, positive rated flight flying commercial jets.

I also work from home so I play it by letting it run in the background on my desktop while I use my laptop for work lol.

Pretty good way to stay active with it for me

Just as a diehard FS enthusiast and commercial jet hobbyist, I think FSPassengers really helps keeps me motivated to have a clean, positive rated flight flying commercial jets.

I also work from home so I play it by letting it run in the background on my desktop while I use my laptop for work lol.

Pretty good way to stay active with it for me

Wow! You must have one hell of a laptop! I'm constantly reading how slow the frame rate is on many laptops. Yet you can run FS tube liners in the background and still use your laptop for work?? I'm hugely impressed!

Details of your laptop & FS software please?? :cool:

Wow! You must have one hell of a laptop! I'm constantly reading how slow the frame rate is on many laptops. Yet you can run FS tube liners in the background and still use your laptop for work?? I'm hugely impressed!

Details of your laptop & FS software please?? :cool:

His post indicated he uses his desktop (PC) for FS and his laptop for work. I pretty much do the same. Hefty desktop. Mediocre laptop. :)

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

His post indicated he uses his desktop (PC) for FS and his laptop for work. I pretty much do the same. Hefty desktop. Mediocre laptop. :)

My Bad! Now that I reread it, that does make sense.

Now that I reread it, that does make sense.

I find that the more things make sense, the less it turns out I understand them D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find the more things make sense, the less airline managers do.

Sounds like Officers in the Military.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Index update of this thread showing members main posts.

(Note the page numbers are with the Default forum setting which gives 10 posts per page)

p1- Swampy puddles (also pp33/34)

p2- Photoreal cross-country.

Interesting Airfields and Flights.

Bell X-1.

p3- Glider assault.

p4- Thermals (also p5 and p8).

Map printout and bad weather flying.

p5- Earhart's last flight.

Livery art.

Hang glider.

Thermals (also p4 and 8).

p6- Glider tow.

Carrier (also on p7,18 and 35).

Multiplayer.

p7- Carrier (also p6, 18 and 35).

p8- Dole air race.

Thermals (also p3 and p5).

p14- Terrain mods.

p15- Aspen approach in snow.

p16- Default NY.

p17- Boeing 737.

p18- Helipads.

Iris Texan with FTX and XOPI.

Carrier (also p6,7 and 35).

p19- Turbo Duke avionics.

p20- Intercepting AI aircraft (also p22).

p22- Following roads.

p25- Photothread link.

Flight 19 final flight route.

p26- Leadville high-altitude takeoffs.

p27- Parachute jumper.

Jurassic flight.

p28- Archaeology.

Yosemite.

p29- Landing into Eagle, Colorado.

p30- Trike ultralight.

p31/32- Chopper roofpad landing.

Hiller H-23 heli writeup.

p33- Overheated engine blows (also p42)

Sextant navigation.

Swampy puddles (also pp1/34).

p34- Swampy puddles (also p1/p33).

Kingsford Smith trans-Pacific flight.

STOL operations.

p35- Eyepoints and seat raise.

Carriers (also p6,7 and 18).

Dials HUD-style.

DME flying.

p37- Zoom and Viewpoint examples

p42- Hot stuff, engine fires (also p33)

p46- Pacific atoll navigation

ZOOM PREFERENCES

Zoom keys are '-' and '='.

Although it seems logical to use Zoom level 1.00, I find it's TOO zoomed (as if looking through a telescope), so I much prefer to zoom out a bit to 0.60 as in the two shots below. (Newcomer note- the zoom readout at top right is rarely precise which is why it reads 0.59 in these shots but that's near enough to 0.60)

Also note the moon looks about the proper size which again confirms 0.60 is realistic, but it depends on your monitor size of course, so adjust the zoom in or out accordingly to what feels right for you-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom-ext060_zpsupn12miy.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom1_zpsxcbmhcuh.jpg~original

PS- it's also worth mentioning for newcomers that you can also zoom the VIEWPOINT in/out with keys CTRL '-' and '='.

It's a completely different thing to standard zoom, because it simply moves you nearer to the plane (or further away), but the background scenery stays about the same. For example below I've moved the viewpoint nearer to the plane, but the scenery has only zoomed slightly, and the moon not at all-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom2_zps3p5vbx8t.jpg~original

Well - retired USCG officer and the same sentiment :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sir! Thank you for your service! However I hope your handle isn't as true true to life as mine seemed to be. Through two medevac related interrupted tours in Vietnam the first where I flew Ch-34s and Ch-46s, the second CH-46s only, I was universally known as "Magnet Ass!!"

Everyone eventually said, put "Magnet Ass" and his bird at the end of the flight and the rest of us won't be hit! Sadly, the facts indicate they were right!! Whether on the lead or on the tail, we always seemed to have more holes to patch than anyone in the rest of any squadron I flew for!! I hope it wasn't because of the poor pilot I may have seemed to be!!

Sir! Thank you for your service! However I hope your handle isn't as true true to life as mine seemed to be. Through two medevac related interrupted tours in Vietnam the first where I flew Ch-34s and Ch-46s, the second CH-46s only, I was universally known as "Magnet Ass!!"

Everyone eventually said, put "Magnet Ass" and his bird at the end of the flight and the rest of us won't be hit! Sadly, the facts indicate they were right!! Whether on the lead or on the tail, we always seemed to have more holes to patch than anyone in the rest of any squadron I flew for!! I hope it wasn't because of the poor pilot I may have seemed to be!!

No , my handle isn't accurate with respect to my service - worse I had was always going out for rescues when the birds were grounded - was a surface driver - only had to worry about port and starboard - not up and down like what you had to contend with-- well we only would go down once :-). . And thank you for service.

Using Tapatalk

And I thank you both for your service!!

Have great flights, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am participating in the Round The World Race. VERY interesting way to keep FS of any sort interesting!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
go to lax and have ur traffic on about 25 percent and just keep talong off and landing in the ultralight kite looking aircraft death trap , try to get in the 777 airways when they are told that ur in the way, ignore the towers pleas..listen to them wig out..its worth about a hour of laughs whats really a blast is when they start landing even if ur in the way.

Hi Folks,

Mountain flying in unpressurized aircraft without oxygen - as it forces you to pick your routes carefully... I just found out A2A models hypoxia - so if you don't respect real world limitations - it could kill you... Realistically - you should plan on keeping 12.5 and below - even if your plane is capable of flying higher - also keep in mind some people are more susceptible to hypoxia than others...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png