How do you keep FSX interesting?

I get new aircraft, fly new routes, learn different skills, currently I am attempting to learn the concorde x, and Radar contact 4. RC4 haschanged my flight sim universe. I've never yet bought area specific scenery because I don't spend too much time flying in one place unless its to learn a new aircraft.

..currently I am attempting to learn the concorde x ..

Cool, this is one of the freeware jobs available for FSX (below), I can still hardly believe aviation took a giant leap backwards by scrapping the world's only SST, 2 hours 50 minutes London to New York wasn't bad!

But at least we can still fly it in FSX..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/FSX-conc.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

INDEX update of this thread showing members main posts.

(Note the page numbers are with the Default forum setting which gives 10 posts per page)

p1- Swampy puddles (also pp33/34)

p2- Photoreal cross-country.

Interesting Airfields and Flights.

Bell X-1.

p3- Glider assault.

p4- Thermals (also p5).

Map printout and bad weather flying.

p5- Earhart's last flight.

Livery art.

Hang glider.

Thermals (also p4 and 8).

p6- Glider tow.

Carrier (also on p7,18 and 35).

Multiplayer.

p7- Carrier (also p6, 18 and 35).

p8- Dole air race.

p14- Terrain mods.

p15- Aspen approach in snow.

p16- Default NY.

p17- Boeing 737.

p18- Helipads.

Iris Texan with FTX and XOPI.

Carrier (also p6,7 and 35).

p19- Turbo Duke avionics.

p20- Intercepting AI aircraft (also p22).

p22- Following roads.

p25- Photothread link.

Flight 19 final flight route.

p26- Leadville high-altitude takeoffs.

p27- Parachute jumper.

Jurassic flight.

p28- Archaeology.

Yosemite.

p29- Landing into Eagle, Colorado.

p30- Trike ultralight.

p31/32- Chopper roofpad landing.

Hiller H-23 heli writeup.

p33- Overheated engine blows. (also p42)

Sextant navigation.

Swampy puddles (also pp1/34).

p34- Swampy puddles (also p1/p33).

Kingsford Smith trans-Pacific flight.

STOL operations.

p35- Eyepoints and seat raise.

Carrier (also p6,7 and 18).

Dials HUD-style.

DME flying.

p37- Zoom and Viewpoint examples

p38- juggling Fuel and Payload weights to affect handling

p42- Hot stuff: engine fire (also p33)

p46- Pacific atoll navigation

start a VA.. or start your own simulated charter business. or map out a plan.. and then stick to it.

for example: I want to learn and fly the Carenado C90 then move up to the PMDG J41 then by then the new PMDG Dash 8 or maybe the new Aerosoft Twotter, etc.. and that brings up another point.. I fly only payware scenery (ORBX) and payware aircraft as well.. I bought a real pilots kneeboard from sportys pilot shop and yes I strap it on 95% of the time.. unless I'm flying Ants' Drifter ultralight.. or a C172, etc.. I treat FSX as if it would be real.. if the weather is crappy, I don't fly or I'll go IFR.. by treating it real.. that ads a lot of fun.

start a VA.. or start your own simulated charter business. or map out a plan.. and then stick to it.

for example: I want to learn and fly the Carenado C90 then move up to the PMDG J41 then by then the new PMDG Dash 8 or maybe the new Aerosoft Twotter, etc.. and that brings up another point.. I fly only payware scenery (ORBX) and payware aircraft as well.. I bought a real pilots kneeboard from sportys pilot shop and yes I strap it on 95% of the time.. unless I'm flying Ants' Drifter ultralight.. or a C172, etc.. I treat FSX as if it would be real.. if the weather is crappy, I don't fly or I'll go IFR.. by treating it real.. that ads a lot of fun.

I used to fly as a virtual charter long ago... it was very, very fun at the beggining, but efter a month of doing it I had to do some free flights...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus X550V

...I also try different addons. FSPassangers was a delight. Then learning sophisticated payware airliners like PMDG 747, Wilco feelthere A320, Level-D 767. However I find these eventually get boring and it's back to the basics of simulating real world airline flights.

Hmmm...sounds familiar to me. I was engrossed e.g. in JF Air Hauler because it promised hours and hours of fun, which it delivered too, but within a week, I was back to replicating Flightaware real-life flight-plans with a correct model of the flying aircraft...often simultaneously to see who gets at the destination first...

Folks: Interesting thread going here...

I am using it to practice basic flying skills and such. I picked up a copy of "Microsoft® Flight Simulator as a Training Aid" by Bruce Williams. Really good information about using it as a training aid.

...replicating Flightaware real-life flight-plans with a correct model of the flying aircraft...often simultaneously to see who gets at the destination first...

I've tried that too! The real world guys were always sitting in the pilot's lounge working on their 2nd gin & tonic by the time I got there :) . Didn't seem to matter what I did, I couldn't keep up with 'em, lol.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon you can basically do anything you, imagination is the limit sometimes, well not always sometimes FSX has some slowdown points.

To keep it interesting I use it to get to know different aeroplanes, from heavy metal jets to light fabric aeroplanes. A VC is mandatory for me as is REX Weather.

I like to explore the FSX world, and there are always surprises in store for different airports around the world, designers little touches and special finds like that. I am also member of a VA and do a bit of hauling in the DC-3 with them but flexibly.

I find the sim a really great way to explore the history of aeroplanes and different eras so you add to your knowledge of some types and enjoy flying them, some of course, the slow ones your glad to move on from.

My recent bit of fun was to use the GPS and Dead Reckoning nav to take the KBT P-3 down to Macquarie Island in the Southern Ocean departing from Hobart then back to Invercargill on New Zealand's south island, yep it was there and pretty much like the real thing, had great fun and that was a long overwater flight with little inbetween.

Before such flights or flying in different countries I will add to my scenery library and improve stuff as much as I can either freeware or payware and generally improve the experience. My favourite places at the moment -Australia, Japan, Pacific Region and now New Zealand. Sure is a lot of the world to explore. Maybe South America next.

If you really want to freshen the game up, I suggest getting a 3D projector. I lost interest in the Flight Sims for a few years, but now with a 106" 3D setup (and now there are better scenery packs), I'm going to be setting up some cool 3D stuff.

Flying in the mountains in 3D with the right scenery pack on a projector cannot be beat, it GETS very CLOSE to the real thing.

For those that can afford to do it (actually it's not nearly as expensive as people think), you can get setup for under $800 on the lowest budgets with 720p 3D. I actually fly in 1080p/24hz and 720p too (well I haven't decided for sure what my final res will be). I've mostly been playing fS 2004 because I lost my FSX disk to reinstall, but a new one is coming on Friday.

I now have to figure what all the best scenery packs are, I have budgeted about $200 for scenery packs, so we'll see how it works out.

I will say this, 3D not only makes it much more realistic, but it also increases the perceivable quality of textures, because 3D has an intrinsic anti-aliasing effect to it that is much stronger than normal algorithms. In the end, graphics look better in 3D and it's far more immersive and realistic.

• 4 months later...
I use FSPassengers X and lots of Payware and Freeware aircraft. I have my own Virtual Airline (Turboprop Regional) and as the name says its all turboprop and its regional (Mainland US South East). Using this combination with REX, GEX, UTX, and FS Global Ultimate I get different weather patters every time I fly, plus the graphics are stunning, and I fly to over 40 different airports from municipals to internationals.

you have a website for you VA? I would like to see what you do.. sounds very good.

Fly IFR using published SIDs and STARs. They can be really challenging and very satisfying to get right. I landed at KSFO today in zero visbility and taxied to the gate using the airport chart. I use REX generated weather too and using an approach plate in poor visibilty certainly keeps things interesting. I am considering Radar Contact too but need to learn more first.

Andrew

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache; ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX;16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz;2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI;480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s; CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS

• 6 months later...

Using the ultralight or helicopter

Airport heading flight time

HEEM 200 6 min

LLJR 162 4 min

LXGB 138 1 min

VIAG 74 4.5 min

LIRU 184 3 min

KIAG 253 5 min

KRAP 233 19 min

LFPB 222 10 min

LIRP 8 3 min

KDCA 322 1 min

61B 47 5 min

Start FSX and

in FREE FLIGHT CURRENT AIRCRAFT

SELECT AirCreation Trike Ultralight

in CURRENT LOCATION

Enter HEEM in the By airport ID

select the airport an then OK

in the CURRENT TIME AND SEASON

select Day then OK

Select FLY NOW!

use the direction indicator on the GPS thingy

to follow heading of 200 Deg. for approx. 6 min.

Pretty basic stuff?

Just recently I purchased its your plane. Now I'm no longer alone in the cockpit, and in fact my co-pilot can do everything for me, if I so choose.

So now I'm avidly flying FSX again...

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

AIFP, ADE9X, FSPS, SBuilderX, Sketchup, and a few of the 20 or so other utilities I have, keep me active when flying just isn't enough...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds