How do you keep FSX interesting?

To tell the truth .......FSX keeps me interested.....and I have Steam, and P3D.....but I do not have X Plane .....having said that...I keep coming back to FSX and then thinking what do I want to buy next for FSX,,,,and then I load FSX up and fly my next flight...LOL...al v....keep trying other sims...I wish you the best...but so far you have not convinced me.....but I love you still....lol....

What got me back into FSX a few years ago, after a long hiatus, were some disastrous attempts at flying RC Helicopters. I found the whole RC thing not to my liking, and one day fired up FSX with a helicopter and an out-of cockpit view (just like you do with an RC model) - after crashing an expensive RC heli model again for about the 3rd time - and was amazed at how good it was. I think my frustration with RC was discovering that an RC helicopter does not really fly like a real one does -- they are much to jerky and have no inertia so are very sensitive to wind and air movements. The FSX one's are cool and feel much more like the big ones I am trying to simulate. I particularly like the military ones like the EH101, and the start-up/shutdown and sounds are pretty good too. Another thing I dont like about RC is they don't sound like a real heli either - more like a vacuum cleaner actually. But I guess some people like them and truth be told they are pretty cool and alot of fun (when you arent crashing them that is). Anyways it gave me a new respect for FSX. I had never flown a heli before in a simulator, and when you do it opens a whole new world of possibilities and things to try in the virtual world that is fsx. That did it for me. HK

I've never flown an r/c heli but I used to fly r/c planes many years ago, their wreckage is all over the countryside, then computers came along and I bought my first flight sim for the Spectrum in 1983 and have stuck with sims ever since on a variety of comps over the years..:)

Here are some heli posts that might interest you-

HELIPADS at TOKYO HOTEL, NY and OILRIG

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248567-How-do-you-keep-FSX-interesting/page18

HILLER H-23 RAVEN

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248567-How-do-you-keep-FSX-interesting/page32

HELI SIM DEVOTEES

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

Mick,

If it will make you feel any better, After hugely over 1,000 RW hours in choppers I haven't a cue how to fly these things! The only thing they have in common IMHO is the name on the box!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Learning to trust the instruments in the big iron flying in foreign areas like Singapore and landing in Bangkok with a PMDG 777.....is for me challenging and when I land ....it is thrilling...plus the scenery into Bangkok with the river etc...is darn nice...

Anyone who spent any time in the service knew "goobers" like them. Always someone, usually in a position of authority of some sort, who were just making a show of being "in command". They really just wanted to look good, like they thought the movies made Officers and such look.

A starched, pressed, tailored flight suit, special paint job on their helmet, probably done by an auto shop out in town, Corfram Boots...

"The very picture of the modern Major General", as the saying goes :D

Never spoke to enlisted, just spoke AT them. We were just faceless drones there to make them look like John Wayne...

Ah well, no more of that garbage for me!

Pat☺

I worked on Jet Fighters for 17 years of my 20 year career. I sometimes think I've seen and heard it all. But I'm sure I haven't, but I've seen my share of cocky B.S. too. Just shake your head and do your job is all anyone could do for some jerks.

I did :)

My all time favorite interaction with one of "them" was when one came to our shop to learn the system. He stalked in, mad as a wet hen he had to be there at all, walked up to the bench and started pushing buttons, flipping switches, you name it. The bench stayed silent and dark, as though it was mocking his efforts. Finally, he turned away in disgust and yelled that it was obviously broken and to get someone to fix it immediately. I was a VERY junior SGT at the time so I walked over to the bench, reached up to a power box, eye level, and easy to see, and pushed the ON button, at which point the bench lit up happily, making the usual racket with all it's cooling fans. Thankfully drowning out the L-T's imprecations. He stayed for one night and we were happy to see the back of him at last.

Anyway, I mostly fly the FSDT FSXBA F/A-18C v16.1 now. It is SUCH a joy to fly. Fast or slow, high or low, around the boat, or over land, low level supersonic routes, Hi-LO-LO-HI pop-up bombing missions, aerobatics at an air show, you name it, it does them all wonderfully. I am SO in love with this bird!

It keeps FSX interesting to me! That and the annual Round The World Race every year I participate in. It's tough, but some wonderful guys in it.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Another "Keep me Interested" is the beautiful sunset today flying my PMDG 777 descending into the Beijing, China area with ASN and REX .....I mean this is really fun with the views....so I must return to try to get this great plane on the ground soon....adios....al v

I just joined IVAO about 3 months ago and I felt that studying correct procedures, finding charts, studying terrain, and talking to local ATCs with their local dialects are very fun. I also train myself to handfly my aircraft (except for long haul or when I feel very lazy), which is quite challenging.

:)

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I also train myself to handfly my aircraft (except for long haul or when I feel very lazy), which is quite challenging.

:)

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Sadly many/most RW tubeliner pilots can't get nearly as much practice flying with auto-pilot off as they should!:confused: Which makes flying for us who are passengers much more dangerous than it should be.:mad:

HOT STUFF

If you select the "Engine stress damages engine" option you'll notice the engines of some FSX default planes will start to splutter, lose RPM and belch flames and smoke from under the cowling. The default Mustang racers are notoriously touchy in that respect, here's one in trouble a couple of minutes after I slammed open the throtlle to take off-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-engine%20fire_zpscfz83fhi.jpg~original

So to eliminate the risk of engine fire, de-select the option on this screen-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Airc-realism.gif~original

Or you could leave the option selected if you want the challenge of nursemaiding the engine to stop it blowing a gasket, more about how to do it in this thread-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?298709-What-s-Up-With-The-FSX-P-51D

The professionals- Mustang pilots in England in WW2-

ww2-American-P-51-pilots-in-England.jpg

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewforum&f=92

Index update of this thread showing members main posts.

(Note the page numbers are with the Default forum setting which gives 10 posts per page)

p1- Swampy puddles (also pp33/34)

p2- Photoreal cross-country.

Interesting Airfields and Flights.

Bell X-1.

p3- Glider assault.

p4- Thermals (also p5 and p8).

Map printout and bad weather flying.

p5- Earhart's last flight.

Livery art.

Hang glider.

Thermals (also p4 and 8).

p6- Glider tow.

Carrier (also on p7,18 and 35).

Multiplayer.

p7- Carrier (also p6, 18 and 35).

p8- Dole air race.

Thermals (also p3 and p5).

p14- Terrain mods.

p15- Aspen approach in snow.

p16- Default NY.

p17- Boeing 737.

p18- Helipads.

Iris Texan with FTX and XOPI.

Carrier (also p6,7 and 35).

p19- Turbo Duke avionics.

p20- Intercepting AI aircraft (also p22).

p22- Following roads.

p25- Photothread link.

Flight 19 final flight route.

p26- Leadville high-altitude takeoffs.

p27- Parachute jumper.

Jurassic flight.

p28- Archaeology.

Yosemite.

p29- Landing into Eagle, Colorado.

p30- Trike ultralight.

p31/32- Chopper roofpad landing.

Hiller H-23 heli writeup.

p33- Overheated engine blows (also p42)

Sextant navigation.

Swampy puddles (also pp1/34).

p34- Swampy puddles (also p1/p33).

Kingsford Smith trans-Pacific flight.

STOL operations.

p35- Eyepoints and seat raise.

Carrier (also p6,7 and 18).

Dials HUD-style.

DME flying.

p37- Zoom and Viewpoint examples

p42- Hot stuff, engine fires (also p33)

p46- Pacific atoll navigation

I fly FSX SE, and tour the western hemisphere in a 172. Just flying to places I've always wanted to see makes it interesting to me. When I shut down after landing, I save the flight and make it the default, so the next flight will be from the last place I landed to wherever I decide.

And, I think I may have found an Easter Egg...I landed at Sitka, AK yesterday, and after taxi to the pumps and shutting down, I heard loons honking! Coolest thing ever. I also use Skyvector to plan my flights. Make it real, and it stays interesting.

If you have some imagination, that's all you need.

Fly a 747 to KDCA, then jump in the default Robinson (you *do* know how to fly the helicopters...right?) and fly to the White House and land on the front lawn. Pick up a VIP and fly him back to DCA. Get into your Learjet and rush him down to Miami, where...etc etc etc.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

If you have some imagination, that's all you need.

Fly a 747 to KDCA, then jump in the default Robinson (you *do* know how to fly the helicopters...right?) and fly to the White House and land on the front lawn. Pick up a VIP and fly him back to DCA. Get into your Learjet and rush him down to Miami, where...etc etc etc.

Better get good advance clearance! They don't like unannounced fly ins or fence climbers at the White House!!! :o

Heck with "Advance Clearance"! Give the Secret Service a little extra thrill :eek:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

• 3 weeks later...
I've been following this thread since the beginning. I don't know why I never thought of sharing this before. I've been doing this a long time and it is easier now with the steam overlay. As I am cruising along I will Google the area that I am flying over. Look at pictures, videos, read about different areas. I find it a great way to learn the world rather than sitting there being bored.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I've been following this thread since the beginning. I don't know why I never thought of sharing this before. I've been doing this a long time and it is easier now with the steam overlay. As I am cruising along I will Google the area that I am flying over. Look at pictures, videos, read about different areas. I find it a great way to learn the world rather than sitting there being bored.

Great suggestion! Along with that idea I enjoy reading the news and flying around the various places listed on any given day. It makes the news much more meaningful.

I also enjoy flying places where friends are visiting at any given time. Especially if I've never been there RW.

HELSINKI to MOSCOW

Mathias Rust risked his neck to do the unauthorised flight in his Cessna 172 in 1987, annoying the Russians by landing in Red Square; we can try it in FSX with zero risk..:)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/MathiasRust1987_zpsvnccqbps.jpg~original

FULL WRITEUP HERE- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust

Great suggestion! Along with that idea I enjoy reading the news and flying around the various places listed on any given day. It makes the news much more meaningful.

I also enjoy flying places where friends are visiting at any given time. Especially if I've never been there RW.

I read in the news today that a guy stationed at McMurdo Station has pancreatitis, and they need to rescue him. Only trouble is, it's the middle of winter. The Station is virtually (like how I worked the "virtual" thing in there?) inaccessable. Only 2 people in the history of Antarctic exploration have ever been rescued from there in winter. They said a pair of British Twin Otters were assigned to the rescue. I hope they save the guy!

Might be a thing to try in the sim. Use a real-world weather engine to simulate what they are going to fly through, and take a Twin Otter to the rescue! I bet it's gonna be interesting, at the very least. And we all know, pilots really would rather be bored to tears than be in an "interesting" situation :)

I haven't looked, but I won't swear there are any Navaids at the Station, and at this time of year, not a whole lot of daylight. Cold as heck, probably nasty weather...

Sounds like a real challenge!

Just a thought...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pat,

That guy at McMurdo would be in big time trouble if he relied on me to get him out!!

I just made a flight in and out of there at "high noon" with Jeppson weather and could hardly see anything with all the high winds and blowing snow! And you're right, FSX didn't show any nav markers that I found on the default map. If I hadn't changed my realism to "ignore" beforehand, I'd have never completed the trip.

IMHO Anyone who gets him out safely deserves a DFC!!

My apologies. The article I read said British, but you have better info. Or maybe because they were from a British Station, I misunderstood. Anyway...

Rupert: Told ya it'd ne "interesting. Not fun, but interesting!

Never a dull moment :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
If a JPEG is blurry, it is because of the quality it was saved in, not the format. If JPEGs were as bad as indicated, it wouldn't be the standard format for digital cameras.

In my humble opinion, I would say yes and no.

It depends what segment of the market you are directing your comment to: Those who want to take pictures, or those who are interested in taking photographs, and taking an interest in the hobby, and furthering the development of their skills. I think it is along those two divergent groups that those two standards, JPEG/JPG and RAW, can peacefully co-exist.

To the point of a blurry JPEGs:

loki be right; but not entirely in my opinion. It may be the quality the JPG was saved in, like loki says. However, the argument - for lack of a better word - could be made, that, even if you saved the JPG at it's highest quality, and did, lots and lots of saves, eventually, if you did it enough times, - saves that is - the image would become blurry. Bear in mind that the JPG/JPEG format is a lossy format, as described above.

No_Inflight_Meal?