Thread: problem reinstalling FSX

Unhappy problem reinstalling FSX

I installed FSX last year first the Standard version then the Acceleration pack. Everything was working fine and I had installed lots of addons including FSFlyingSchool, sceneries and planes. Unfortunately I had a crash and had to go back to an earlier image taken just before I started installing FSX (yes, I know I should have been more careful and made more recent backups and I'm paying the price for that ) So I proceeded to reinstall FSX but everytime I try that the installation stops with the message
    "You cannot upgrade between the Standard and the Deluxe versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Uninstall your current version of Flight Simulator X and restart this install"
    I tried everything like:
    - doing a forced uninstall to try to get rid of any residual traces of FSX or FSXX
    - manually cleaning the registry searching on FSX and erasing all entries
    - downloading afresh from the MSStore account page all the files
    - moving all the installation files to the C (system) disk and running the install from there
    Nothing helped and I'm running out of options. Naturally as expected Microsoft is no help and keeps bouncing me back and forth from one site to another...
    Help anyone, please...?
    P7P55D ELX - Core i5 760 @2.8GHz
    8 Gb Corsair XMS3 - AMD Radeon 6790 1Gb
    Corsair Force3 SSD drive as system disk
    Logitech G940 Joystick+Throttle+Pedals

It's a Registry Problem.
    I don't think you can remove then re-install the basic version of FSX with the Acceleration Pack left in-situ. This may be your problem.
    Before you try again, remove the Acc Pack. Use CCleaner ( http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner ) to do a reg clean. This will remove all broken paths to FSX. All your addons will have to be re-installed. Go to your, now defunct, FSX folder in your Program Files (or wherever you installed it) which will remain because of the addons and rename it FSX OLD or whatever. (This will provide you with a folder for reference as to what you had installed and may even provide some data for you to just copy across to your new FSX folder - for example some addon scenery or aircraft which were not installed using an installer but were "copied" to FSX. Now try to install FSX.
    Good luck.

Thanks Montys. I did actually uninstall both the Acceleration pack and FSX and I did do a reg cleanup using IOBit's ASC Pro. In fact I even did a manual search into the registry trying to find and eliminate anything related to "FSX" and that didn't help either.
    I will try again using CCleaner, I know that you have to do several passes until it doesn't find any more problems. We'll see if that works...
    Last edited by peteramd; 05-02-2012 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peteramd View Post
    Thanks Montys. I did actually uninstall both the Acceleration pack and FSX and I did do a reg cleanup using IOBit's ASC Pro. In fact I even did a manual search into the registry trying to find and eliminate anything related to "FSX" and that didn't help either.
    I will try again using CCleaner, I know that you have to do several passes until it doesn't find any more problems. We'll see if that works...
    If you do a check of previous posts over the last week or two this problem , or very similar, has been brought up before and you may be able to gain some useful information from them.

John
    Last edited by johnan; 05-02-2012 at 10:00 AM.