Thread: Black Screen of Death when landing on aircraft carrier using rbco package.

Default Black Screen of Death when landing on aircraft carrier using rbco package.

First time ever I have had the BSoD, so not complaining too loudly.

I have a hodge-podge mixture of many things. Landing on the USS Nimitz from Rich Hogan's Carriers_2006. Many different aircraft. IRIS' F14B Tomcat. A few planes left over from a partial Flight Deck 4 installation. The default AI Dash-8-100 modified to be flyable then further modified to be carrier landable. My own home-built panels (mainly default B737_400 and kingair_350 gauges). RBCO version 2 to provide the working arrestor wires. An unregistered FSUIPC version 3.4 which came bundled with RBCO. I have changed some of the configuration parameters coz I don't want to use his HUD. Sigh. Wot a mess.

Blow by blow. I land on the carrier at a good speed and nose high, arrestor hook touching the deck first like it's supposed to, well to the stern of the four wires. In the next second or is, it goes through the arrestor wires and the positional gauge turns from red to green, indicating that it has a good trap. Then all goes black. If I miss the wires and bolter, or land with the tailhook up, the position gauge of course stays red and the problem does not occur.

Not surprisingly, the crash-dump information screen says that the module where it bombed out is dsd_arrestor.gau, and always at location 017f0. I get exactly the same result on all of the above mentioned planes.

Is it too much to ask if there are well known and easily fixed issues with the arrestor? Probably. But I'm asking anyway. Leaves me with more self-esteem than casually dropping a brochure for Flight Deck 6 at my mother-in-law's. LOLOL.

Steve from Mudgee.

Well, I hadn't looked at the code for that gauge in ages - not certain what would cause it to crash out like that.
    If you are missing the sound files, you may run into problems. If you are using your own sound files, please recall that DirectSound only supports PCM compression, none of the fancy newer sound formats.
    Also, you really should use a newer version of FSUIPC - http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Doug

Doug, thanx for your immediate reply. The sound files I am using are either the ones that came with the planes, or the standard ones from FS itself.

I will certainly upgrade FSUIPS, try again, and report back.

Thanx again for your quick reply.

Steve from Mudgee.

Uhh, Doug, mate, pal, buddy, (he says in his gentlest voice), this is an FS9 forum. That's what I have, and the FSUIPC that you have on that site wants FSX and so wont install on FS9.

Steve from Mudgee.

Whoops, dumbass me replied too soon. Found FSUIPC version 3.999 for FS9 on that web site and installed it successfully.

But it doesn't seem to have made any difference. If I do a good trap, the zone indicator turns green when I'm over the strike zone, and before I actually touch down (screencaps show an altitude of 2 feet above the deck). But when I actually catch the wire, that's when it dies.

All planes show the same thing: Fatal error, Module dsd_arrestor, ModVer 2.0.1.0, Offset 000017f0.

Doug, I have been a C-programmer (although in Unix, not Windows) since the mid 1980s and would be happy to run a debug version of dsd_arrestor if you can see any value in doing this.

I am going to try a few different operational things. Changing the values in the arrestor.ini file, trying different planes, different weather, maybe even an airport on the land. Also maybe try to get the catapult going (that hasn't been a priority) to see if it works; or whether it errors out as well.

Steve from Mudgee.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

It was of course a user error by dumbass me. Doug, you alluded to it and that was enough for me to eventually stumble onto the solution. None of the sound files or folders had been installed. Now they are, and I'm happy trapping.

Apologies to everyone for wasting your time.

Steve from Mudgee.