Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tileproxy for FSX & FS9

Default Tileproxy for FSX & FS9

Everyone is talking about Orbx scenery, I was wondering if Tileproxy is still considered a hot item? There are times where I'd like to go look at the terrain or city of a certain location, and wonder if Tileproxy is the ultimate tool for that? Any problems with it? How do you load up the default scenery if you want to fly that? Is it worth the trouble? Is beta8 the latest version? I was thinking about trying it out on FS9 first.

Right now I have a 30 mb/sec broadband connection, but I need to get a new router as the router is limited to 12 mb/sec, but I can plug the cable directly into the computer for full 30 mb/sec + speeds.

I have a Q9450 quad 2.6 ghz I think, 12 mb L2 cache, 4 gb ram maxed, Asus 550 Ti 1 gb PCI-E video card. Win 8 Cons Preview, later when I get hdd's Win 7 64 bit Home Premium
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

Blog Entries

I'm back to using it myself. Bought Sim Savvy; long story, but it doesn't look as good to me anymore....esp. in my hometown of Vegas. (and no water masking made the lakes and oceans look terrible) That for another day..

I don't know if it's considered "hot" anymore, but I know I haven't been back to default since. I have Windows 7; there's a little more to do. On initial computer startup I need to hit F8 and disable driver enforcement before I can use it. I bumped up the settings to 1.1 cm and as long as I keep FPS locked at 30, I can even fly jets without the scenery getting blurry.

Yes, Beta 8 is the latest version. The creator made some tweaks to improve performance.

I even tried it in FS9; I'll post a link to my screenshot thread in a bit. Didn't look too bad at all.As for going back to default, just don't start Tileproxy, and FSX will revert back to default scenery.

TP really shines on "low and slow" flights, though. Above 3,000 feet, it clears up nicely. In jets above 25,000 ft, the scenery that's further out isn't clear. Remember, it's a "live" internet thing, so the faster you fly, the slower the scenery takes to load up.

I've been using TP for several weeks now; once an area's been flown over a few times, it takes less time to load. Also, I disabled McAffee Virus scanning to help with load times.

*edit* here are my FS9 + TP screenshots: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...54-TP-FS9-test
    Last edited by kingnorris; 04-27-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6770 graphics card Windows 7

Blog Entries

I was wondering if Tileproxy is still considered a hot item?
    - it doesn't seem to be mentioned often in this forum but I'm sure that are numerous dedicated users - there is/was a dedicated TP forum at another site.

I'd like to go look at the terrain or city of a certain location, and wonder if Tileproxy is the ultimate tool for that?
    Any problems with it?
    - the biggest problem for Win7 is the unsigned driver issue and the work-arounds; some people never seem to be able to get it functional.
    - for "occasional" or "limited" or "local" use, FSEarthtiles is more practical: while configurable, TP generates photoscenery, by default, out to the full reach of the FSX scenery engine -- which often may be MUCH more that what you need or want.
    - TP is "seasonally sensitive" and makes 'duplicate' scenery tiles for each season... potentially 5X the storage space

How do you load up the default scenery if you want to fly that?
    - All photoscenery must have a higher priority than default scenery tiles/OrbX/UT, but TP application also has to be running for TP scenery to be seen. Other photosceneries such as might be made with FSEarthtiles or SBuilderX have only to be manually turned on/off in the scenery library (like most other scenery)

Is it worth the trouble?
    - No one can answer that for you

Is beta8 the latest version?
    - yes

Loyd
    Hooked since FS4... now flying: FSX Acceleration on Win7/64, Core Duo E8400; GA-EP45-DS3R; GTX 460-768MB; 4G RAM; Freezer 7 Pro

Thanks very much Jeff and Loyd, you have both been very helpful, and thank you for the effort.

I haven't had the hardware or internet connection before to consider TP. I'm finishing the build of my current Q9450 2.66 ghz system, I only threw it together at this level a couple months ago, fastest I've had so far. I love the comparative huge improvement in processing power. At the same time I am trying to accumulate hardware for my next FSX computer, I was planning on a Ivy Bridge system. However Ivy Bridge seems to not overclock as high and reliably as i7 Sandy Bridge, and gets hot. The Sandy Brdige i7 is a known capable, outstanding overclocking processor, it's like a rugged pickup, I'm still waiting to see how Ivy Bridge is turning out before I decide. I might be buying some large Caviar Black hdd's, 1 gb C drive, 1 gb D drive, and have FSX (and FS9) on the D drive, does that sound like enough space for TP if everything is on D? I mostly fly around the world, but more recently may be practicing flights relative to my studies for PPL and higher.

I just landed at Calrsbad CA on an FS9 flight, I'll post the link to the photos. This is how my system looks now. It's really nice compared to before. I try to keep the aircraft resolution at Ultra High, but if I accidentally have the virtual cockpit at high then the aircraft resolution pops downward to High, looks like it stayed at Ultra High as far as I can tell.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...ng-Air-300-AFG

Yep, you need to have a fairly fast internet connection and good quality hardware or you will get theblurries with Tileproxy. I used it for a long time, mostly for flying in the UK (until i got the UK photoscenery).

Low and slow is great, though I found that once over around 100kts, it would start to get blurry.

Sattellite images are good for some parts of the world, but not so good for others. You need to try an area to see whether it is worth it and sometimes try a different map provider.

Once ou ahave flown in an area, Tileproxy stores the images, which makes it run better the next time, but also takes up a huge amountof hard drive space, though it does have a facility to enable you to delete someof the images you don't want to use again.

Ther is still a dedicatd Tileproxy forum over at Avsim whichis worth a read.

IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32

Thanks Ian, it is certainly fascinating. There's a "professional" appeal to it. You're flying over the real Earth and not an artistic rendering of it. I'm trying to decide how to spend my FSX computer budget.

Blog Entries

I've also found that constantly refreshing the scenery ( I assigned the spacebar to do this) helps keep the scenery clear, even in jets. I also researched FSAltitude but it's too pricey.

FS Earth tiles, as mentioned above, seems like a royal pain to use as well. So TP it is for me..
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6770 graphics card Windows 7

8. Default

you mention "constantly refreshing the scenery ( I assigned the spacebar to do this)". Where to I set that up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by optimizer View Post
    you mention "constantly refreshing the scenery ( I assigned the spacebar to do this)". Where to I set that up?
    I'll respond since I'm still around a year later, lol...

Under FSX assignments; general settings.

Default Turn off anti-virus and firewalls?

Hi Folks - Tileproxy sounds very interesting, but I'm concerned about the suggestion by Ed Truthan in his tutorial that we should turn off anti-virus software and firewalls.

Any comments? Thanks Howard