Thread: side by side config incorrect?

Default side by side config incorrect?

Here is dumb question #104. I had FSX Gold running on Win8 Developers Preview, upgraded to Win 8 Consumer Preview, this displaced FSX in the "Windows old" folder where the old Windows is.....whatever! I tried running the FSX.exe directly from that location and it didn't work at all, not even a glimmer of life. Of course good old faithful FS9 worked great. I moved the entire Microsoft games folder into the new Program Files (x86) and tried again right clicking FSX.exe and trying to run as administrator. Got this message, "The application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line-sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I figured my FSX install was toast and that I'd have to reinstall from scratch. I have been waiting for two new hard drives to install win 7 and fsx on. But I've been delayed because the Thailand flood last Fall has caused some hdd shortages and hdd's are generally about 50% higher priced eegads! Delay in purchasing caused by the pain of departing with $$. Win 8 Consumer Preview and FSX Gold are there temporarily on a 500 gb Caviar Blue recertified hdd and when I install W7 and FSX Gold on the other new hdd's that will be erased. I was just hoping by chance there might be an easy way of getting FSX going without too much difficulty so I don't have to reinstall immediately and hopefully won't have to reactivate it? If it's too much trouble I'll run FS9 until I get the new hdd's.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

This error message is usually triggered by a failed or missing DLL but it might be a somple case that the Registry is still holding an incorrect reference to the location of he FSX.exe.

Try using Flight 1's Registry tool
    http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Thanks very much! Was starting to lose hope there.

The DLL might be a version of SIMCONNECT.DLL which reside in the WINSideXSide directory. Every release of FS9 and FSX uses its own, so you might have two or three entries. You need them under every OS you want to run FSX under. Perhaps you can copy them from a working combination to Windows8. I do not know if that will work; I use Xp only.

Hope this helps.

Bruno
    The presence of those seeking the truth, is infinitely to be prefered to those who think they have found it. Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by vanmulken View Post
    The DLL might be a version of SIMCONNECT.DLL which reside in the WINSideXSide directory. Every release of FS9 and FSX uses its own, so you might have two or three entries. You need them under every OS you want to run FSX under. Perhaps you can copy them from a working combination to Windows8. I do not know if that will work; I use Xp only.

Hope this helps.

Bruno
    Thanks very much I'll try that out. Hoping to run fsx before I get those hdd's. Once it gets going, I hope it's not going to need an activation again. If it gets too complicated I may bite the bullet and order the hard drives right away.

I found the simconnect folders, tried to copy them over to the new W8 installation, it won't allow it. The Flight 1 tool was also a good idea but wouldn't work. I think I have to get those hdd's and reinstall from scratch again. Then I was wondering, what if this were to happen on a permanent install would I know how to repair it? In that case I'm think that either FSX has some repair features, or I'll just have to reinstall from scratch again. I am going to try to get aircraft that are friendly to reinstall again. I'm told that PMDG aircraft are friendly to reinstall, How about Flight 1, Carenadao, Aerosoft, Orbx? I have seen blogs in the past that complain about very bad policies from some companies that don't allow you to reinstall their aircraft or product, are there any prominent ones that come to mind that I should be wary of?