Thread: Best Convair 580 and KC-135R downloads?

1. Default Best Convair 580 and KC-135R downloads?

Looking for the best FSX Convair 580 and KC-135R add ons. Price is no object...........

Thanks

JT
    Hey, don't discount the possibility.......
    Sorry, discount already taken!

I don't think there is a payware CV-580. The most popular 580 is Cal Classic's rendition. There are plenty of liveries in the library here. http://www.calclassic.com/580.htm
    I have Brett Hendersons FSX Native version: http://www.simviation.com/simviation...e=26&mark=6610

As for the KC-135, there are a few out there! I use the Premier Aircraft Design kc-135_x.zip from the library. It needs FSX SP2 or Acceleration.

I am not all that discerning. As long as the instruments work(I can usually fix that) and it looks good, I'm happy...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

I use the HJG KC-135r. There is a decent 2d panel available for it. No Pacer Crag though.

scott s.

4. Default

Thats good for me, i didn't fly a Pacer Crag 135. Round dial cockpit?

BTW, what is the HJG 135, where do I find it?

Thanks

http://www.simviation.com/hjg/aircra...ing/kc-135.htm

On that site also there are some variants.

scott s.

6. Default

Thanks for the info. I am use to payware, this http://www.simviation.com/hjg/aircra...ing/kc-135.htm appears to be freeware. Is that correct?

Since I'm a newbie, does this just download directly into the FSX folder with no headaches? Are are there dll files to chase down, etc?

So you just download the Base Pack, then the add-on schemes below if you want that particular scheme?

Can the Base Pack work as a stand alone download?

Can other FSX aircraft refuel off this 135 download?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I sure appreciate your patience with me.

Yes, Freebie!
    This one is not a Stand Alone, per se. You will need a livery. I'll try and cover all the bases:

Download the Base Pack and unzip it to a temporary folder on your Desktop.
    The instructions say "(1) Unzip all base pack files to the aircraft folder of Flight Simulator". Don't do it.
    The "aircraft" folder doesn't exist in FSX and the instructions and EULA are loose seperate files.

Inside of the zip is a folder "HJG Boeing KC-135A v5" that is the aircraft's main folder.
    Inside of that is aircraft.cfg and Aircraft_fsx.cfg. Rename aircraft.cfg to Aircraft_fs9.cfg(or delete it your choice), and Aircraft_fsx.cfg to Aircraft.cfg for FSX use.

It does not come with a livery, so you will need to also download one.
    The included Aircraft_fsx.cfg(see above) is set up for USAF 924th AFS(1990) 1990 - 57-1490 by Gary Carlson. That will be the easiest for a first timer.

The main folder is where you want to place the texture.kc-135a_usaf_1990_57-1490 or other texture.xxxx folder(s) you download, that are contained in the livery zip(s).
    Make sure you only place the texture.xxxx folder in the plane's main folder. Otherwise it won't work.

The liveries will contain an add to aircraft.txt or [fltsim.X] section in their readme/instructions. That contains the additions that need to be included in the aircraft.cfg.
    The addition is only necessary for subsequent liveries, as texture.kc-135a_usaf_1990_57-1490 is already done for you.

When you add an [fltsim.X] section it is always best to add it under the last existing [fltsim.X]. That keeps numbering simple. Change the X to the next number.

Now you should have a completed plane. Cut-Copy the main folder, "HJG Boeing KC-135A v5", from your temporary folder and place it in ...\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes.

As a note: The needed files/folders inside a plane's main folder are:
    Folders; Model, Panel, Sound, Texture.
    Files; aircraft.cfg and *.air
    If all of those exist and, the model and panel are valid, it will show in the menu, and you should be ready to fly.

As for In-Flight-Refuel, it is not automatic.
    There are some AI aircraft, and IFR gauges, I believe that will help with simulating that function. Search here, I know I've seen threads dealing with that...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), HD 7970
    64GB Vengeance @ 1666MHz, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    Yes, Freebie!
    This one is not a Stand Alone, per se. You will need a livery. I'll try and cover all the bases:

Download the Base Pack and unzip it to a temporary folder on your Desktop.
    The instructions say "(1) Unzip all base pack files to the aircraft folder of Flight Simulator". Don't do it.
    The "aircraft" folder doesn't exist in FSX and the instructions and EULA are loose seperate files.

Inside of the zip is a folder "HJG Boeing KC-135A v5" that is the aircraft's main folder.
    Inside of that is aircraft.cfg and Aircraft_fsx.cfg. Rename aircraft.cfg to Aircraft_fs9.cfg(or delete it your choice), and Aircraft_fsx.cfg to Aircraft.cfg for FSX use.

It does not come with a livery, so you will need to also download one.
    The included Aircraft_fsx.cfg(see above) is set up for USAF 924th AFS(1990) 1990 - 57-1490 by Gary Carlson. That will be the easiest for a first timer.

The main folder is where you want to place the texture.kc-135a_usaf_1990_57-1490 or other texture.xxxx folder(s) you download, that are contained in the livery zip(s).
    Make sure you only place the texture.xxxx folder in the plane's main folder. Otherwise it won't work.

The liveries will contain an add to aircraft.txt or [fltsim.X] section in their readme/instructions. That contains the additions that need to be included in the aircraft.cfg.
    The addition is only necessary for subsequent liveries, as texture.kc-135a_usaf_1990_57-1490 is already done for you.

When you add an [fltsim.X] section it is always best to add it under the last existing [fltsim.X]. That keeps numbering simple. Change the X to the next number.

Now you should have a completed plane. Cut-Copy the main folder, "HJG Boeing KC-135A v5", from your temporary folder and place it in ...\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes.

As a note: The needed files/folders inside a plane's main folder are:
    Folders; Model, Panel, Sound, Texture.
    Files; aircraft.cfg and *.air
    If all of those exist and, the model and panel are valid, it will show in the menu, and you should be ready to fly.

As for In-Flight-Refuel, it is not automatic.
    There are some AI aircraft, and IFR gauges, I believe that will help with simulating that function. Search here, I know I've seen threads dealing with that...Don
    Thanks Don!!! Now that is a tutorial I can use! I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to making all this stuff work!