Thread: fsx and windows 7 64 bit???????

1. Default fsx and windows 7 64 bit???????

Hi all

Just about to press the buy button for a new pc running windows 7 64 bit, but my deluxe edition doesnt appear to be compatible. Having checked old posts it looks like fsx gold edition is compatible. I also have a load of addons that may not be supported. Microsoft website says fsx gold is supported in 64 bit but some posts are saying they are having a loads of problems.

Im reluctant to spend money on something that is no better than my XP set up that is already pretty slow,

Please help me, now im really confused!!!!!!

Thanks

Not to worry! FSX of any flavor will run quite well on Win 7 x64.

There are a few things to consider when using Win 7(32 or 64 bit).

Start here: NickN’s Set up FSX and Tune it (Slightly out of date but an invaluable tool for proper FSX installation)

Once it is properly installed, use the free, and easy, Jesus Altuve Auto-Tweaker for FSX to baseline your FSX.cfg.

With a fresh Win 7 you need to make your *.cfg files and folders "Visible" --> Start/Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, under Hidden Files and Folders check show.

You will need FSX File locations sooner or later so:
    fsx.cfg and GrantedRewards.BIN, {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX}
    Your control settings = Standard.xml {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls}
    Logbook.BIN and flight plan files {C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files}
    scenery.cfg {C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX}

Once your FSX is installed, please make a complete copy of the virgin FSX folder, then copy your full install to date regularly. I guarantee you will need it in the future.
    I have a copies of my FSX Deluxe, FSX Acceleration, and Monthly copies of where I am to that point.

Sure it eats drive space, but, a Copy/Paste recovery is a hundredfold easier than a repair, or Heaven forbid, a re-install...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

3. Default

Thanks fsxttcb

Wow you lost me there, Im not technical on PC's just like fsx really. The 4 files you mention are these the ones that should be visible and made a copy of? and whats the virgin fsx folder? sorry for knowing little about this but I need something that at least resembles a sim (FPS) that is. Lee.

The four files mentioned are the ones that usually end up getting corrupted, so having a virgin(un-modified) backup copy can be a big help when it happens(It Will!).
    I gave you all of their locations, but, the FSX.cfg location will be used for the AutoTweaker(Highly recommended) and is the 1st step to take in case of problems later.

Also a copy of the entire FSX main folder is recommended. Especially make sure you have a pristine copy of the Effects folder.
    Many addons, with installers, overwrite default effects and possibly corrupt them.

Take your time with the installation. Triple check. It's the basis and needs a good solid foundation to avoid simple issues in the future...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

5. Default

Thankyou, will do
    Lee
    UK