Thread: Coretemp

1. Default Coretemp

I'm not sure it I should post this here but I just downloaded core temp and I am wondering what the automatic shutdown setting should be. Should it be power off? Hibernate? Sleep? And should it be 5 seconds? 1 second? 3 seconds?
    Any help is appreciated.
    AMD Phenom II Black Edition 960T @ 3.0 GHz, AMD XFX Radeon HD 6700 Series, Asus M4A87T, 8 GB Ram, Hitachi 500 GB 32mb cache 7200 RPM , Windows 7 64 bit, Coolmax 600w power supply

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofaster View Post
    I'm not sure it I should post this here but I just downloaded core temp and I am wondering what the automatic shutdown setting should be. Should it be power off? Hibernate? Sleep? And should it be 5 seconds? 1 second? 3 seconds?
    Any help is appreciated.
    There is no "should".
    All of the options will take you out of an over-temp condition so you have to decide what you want it to do.
    Intel i7 930@4.2GHz / Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima / Gigabyte X58A-UD3R / 6 gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
    60GB Corsair Force GT
    (Win 7 Pro 64-bit) / 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 (FSX) / 600GB WD Velociraptor
    MSI GTX570 OC / X-Fi XTreme Gamer / CM 850Watt / CM Stacker 832 / Acer S211HL / Samsung 215TW

3. Default

Well right now I have it set to 5 seconds, and to bring it to hibernate. I just don't want my cpu to fry.
    AMD Phenom II Black Edition 960T @ 3.0 GHz, AMD XFX Radeon HD 6700 Series, Asus M4A87T, 8 GB Ram, Hitachi 500 GB 32mb cache 7200 RPM , Windows 7 64 bit, Coolmax 600w power supply

I haven't used core temp so I can't comment about it. However I'm using TThrottle for my systems and it works great (http://efmer.eu/boinc/) You can set a temperature for the CPU and GPU separately at which the program will throttle back the amount of work being done to keep the temperature down. You can also set a rule where the computer will be shut down if a certain temperature is reached.

I made the mistake of not running it at start up and had my CPU fan fail. When I noticed a problem with the way the computer was working I found to core temp to be WELL ABOVE the maximum operating temp for my processor. Luckily I did not do any damage.

I wouldn't worry too much about the timing of shutdown. 1 second, 2 seconds or 5 shouldn't make much difference.

BTW, AMD lists the maximum operating temp for your CPU as 62C, so for maximum performance (using TThrottle) you could set the throttle at 62C or so and then have it shutdown a few degrees above that. This way you'd get maximum performance without restriction, but if something happens to your cooling, the computer will shutdown before any damage could occur.

Not sure if Core Temp has the ability to throttle, but if not, I highly recommend TThrottle.

Good luck
    - Richard
    I'm running FSX within a Phenom II X4 965 (3.4GHz) using 8GB of DDR3 RAM and an EVGA GeForce GTX550Ti over Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Scenery is Tileproxy over higher res mesh, with Wx by REX