Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How about a Prepar3D forum?

Default How about a Prepar3D forum?

Unless I just could not find it here. With the announcement of the P3D Academic version, I believe you will start to see some simmers moving into this arena. How about a P3D forum to stimulate this platform?

Blog Entries

I'm open to the suggestion. The "academic" version is only available to actual students (i.e. high school and college) as I understand it, so it does not mean that the general flightsimmer can buy the $49 version.

Are there actually people here using Prepar3d? I'd be happy to offer a support forum if there are.

I know I'm tempted after seeing the 199.00 version. Of course will have to wait until a Holiday like Christmas, etc. I just wonder if it works with Go-Flight. It says it supports 100s of all ready existing add-ons.

I think it would be a good idea for that forum Nels -- maybe more people would be attracted to it after seeing how it is from others. Even a Prepar3D screen shot forum might do the trick too.

John Thuot II

HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Quadro 4000

The "academic" version is only available to actual students (i.e. high school and college) as I understand it, so it does not mean that the general flightsimmer can buy the $49 version.
    Is it clear that those not using it for any form of flight training, or the other uses LM list on their site, and only for their own enjoyment can buy the professional license? Those real world pilots here that use it in support of flight training could certainly benefit from a forum for it. I suppose everyone else could claim they are simply training to fly.

http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-license-comparison/

I've read the Prepar3D adverts and can't see what it can do that FSX can't?

It is still under development and is largely compatible with FSX add-ons. The P3D team is working on upgrading and modernizing the core engine, so it will be able to better take advantage of more modern hardware. However, per the P3D license page it is not for personal/entertainment use unlike FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatterbrainKid View Post
    Having used it, nouthing or very little I can tell and what a pain trying to port some addons over.! I beleieve most of it popularity has come from those wishing FLIGHT was their next sim. Since it was not they have quelled their anger by "buying" prepar3D hoping its the new messiah. Its not the holy grail!
    Last edited by torkermax; 03-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    CPU: I7 2600K @ 4.7 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780
    MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1600 12800
    MB: Asus P8P67 Pro V3.1

FSX is a tough act to follow but has a few things that could be improved, notably there's poor tyre traction as if the ground is slippery, and there's a weird rudder effect in a bank on some planes that lift the plane bodily upwards when you apply rudder to push the nose down onto the horizon.
    Last edited by ScatterbrainKid; 03-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.

I would like to hear more about P3D, like its' ATC, SID STAR, the newer coding for more advanced hardware like Shader 3 for video cards. And is there advanced processing like increased multi-threading and offloading of graphics to the GPU? Are there weapons because it is also for military training? Also would like to know how different is P3D from FSX. It doesn't seem like a lot of difference, and I don't know, I'm used to the FS format. I feel that my aviation education would progress much faster by buying the PMDG catalog, better atc, active sky, etc. P3D does mention suborbital altitudes what altitude would that be? What is the simulator ceiling for XP10? Outterra can actually allow you to travel to the Moon or other planets if I'm not mistaken. The X15 has reached Mach 6.72, and on a separate flight an altitude of 354,000 feet, all at half throttle, and its' X15 simulator was famous for determining the procedure for exiting and re-entering the atmosphere. With external tanks it was said to be capable of doing orbits. Are there any simulators where this can be practiced accurately?

So just to hear about P3D's features and progress I might be interested in a new forum. But I would have to be really impressed before buying it because I think I would be better off buying the above mentioned products like PMDG etc

Any addons that would improve FSX ground handling? And fsx physics in general?

Alternatively we could listen to ukulele music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ZG1SW3N_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmwIdn188E
    Last edited by angels355; 03-26-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

One more thing- just because a prog has got a hefty price tag and is aimed at "professionals" doesn't mean its quality is guaranteed to be better than regular sims..
    For example I was sent a free review copy of a tactical wargame a couple of years ago which cost the earth and was used by the Armed Services for training use, but it was no better than already-available cheaper games. For example, smoke didn't drift with the wind, the 3D graphics were appalling, tank engines sounded like tinny lawn mowers etc etc..
    Last edited by ScatterbrainKid; 03-26-2012 at 02:17 PM.