Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to replace a plane's handling?

1. Default How to replace a plane's handling?

I have the POSKY 777 but I want to add the Overland 777 handling to it because it seems to be easier for me...what should I modify in order to do this?

2. Default

are you talking about ground handling or flight dynamics?
    - bernie
    p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Flappers View Post
    are you talking about ground handling or flight dynamics?
    Flight dynamics...or both if it's easier to edit

4. Default

check this link, it has information on every section of the aircraft.cfg file, pay special attention to the [flight_tuning] section, post back if you have more questions after reading that.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mozTocId836373
    - bernie
    p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession.

That is oriented to FSX and there are a few changes.

From this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857
    download:
    Aircraft Container:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...iner_setup.exe
    to get FS9 details on performance.
    KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ronzie View Post
    That is oriented to FSX and there are a few changes.

From this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857
    download:
    Aircraft Container:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...iner_setup.exe
    to get FS9 details on performance.
    What exactly do the softwares do?

I'm sure there must be an easier way (like just changing a few lines)...I don't want to add new engine data or make my own handling, I just want to replace the flight dynamics (the lines that have to do with the way the plane handles) from the Overland 777 to the Posky 777

I can send you the aircaft.cfg if you want
    Last edited by NSRacer; 03-29-2012 at 09:11 AM.

7. Default

I've done this myself from time to time. What you can do, and be aware that making a backup of any original aircraft.cfg files if tweaks go wrong is a sensible move, is to copy relevant parts of the data from one plane to another. I'm not 100% expert as to what is safe to move from one type to the next, but here are a few sections of an aircraft.cfg file I would feel reasonably safe changing:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
    [flight_tuning]
    [General]
    [pitot_static]
    [jet_engine]
    [airplane_geometry]
    [GeneralEngineData]
    [TurbineEngineData]
    [Reference Speeds]
    [keyboard_response]
    [autopilot]
    [Radios]

Definately avoid copying over anything that is location specific to a particular model. For example, the contact point for the POSKY are going to be specific to that model, so don't copy the contact points from the Overland. There have been a few models I've tweaked to handle a little more to my liking.

Rather than straight copying though, I would take a good long read of both aircraft.cfgs next to each other and see where the differences lay and where a reasonable tweak here or there would be best. Just remember to make backups, as said, and the process should be relatively pain free.

RW/nordmanni

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nordmanni View Post
    I've done this myself from time to time. What you can do, and be aware that making a backup of any original aircraft.cfg files if tweaks go wrong is a sensible move, is to copy relevant parts of the data from one plane to another. I'm not 100% expert as to what is safe to move from one type to the next, but here are a few sections of an aircraft.cfg file I would feel reasonably safe changing:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
    [flight_tuning]
    [General]
    [pitot_static]
    [jet_engine]
    [airplane_geometry]
    [GeneralEngineData]
    [TurbineEngineData]
    [Reference Speeds]
    [keyboard_response]
    [autopilot]
    [Radios]

Definately avoid copying over anything that is location specific to a particular model. For example, the contact point for the POSKY are going to be specific to that model, so don't copy the contact points from the Overland. There have been a few models I've tweaked to handle a little more to my liking.

Rather than straight copying though, I would take a good long read of both aircraft.cfgs next to each other and see where the differences lay and where a reasonable tweak here or there would be best. Just remember to make backups, as said, and the process should be relatively pain free.

RW/nordmanni
    yes, i know that i can't just copy everything, i just wanna know which are the lines related to the handling of the plane and if i can simply copy them to the other aicraft.cfg

i'll try replacing the ones you mentioned and come back with a reply

btw, i don't think it's a good idea to replace the radios, engine and turbine data, autopilot etc....as i said i'm looking to replace ONLY the WAY THE PLANE HANDLES/FLIES

9. Default

What you will want to be changing will depend very much on which aspects of the handling you want to alter. If you drop a line back with a few things you really want to have improved I can take a look and point you in the right direction as far as what I'd change if it were me if you like.

RW/nordmanni

The doc file readme in the aircraft container kit I pointed you to explains what both .air file editing and for your case what each definition in aircraft.cfg does in a section and table including default values.
    KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team