Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My (Surprising) Thoughts

Default My (Surprising) Thoughts

My turn: after flight time 28 minutes, I am not sure what to report. My view is slightly tainted by all the hype/un-hype the game has recieved and I think whatever I write might not be what I truelly feel deep down. Oh well, here goes.

I am enjoying FLIGHT. I know, prepare the firing squad but first let me finish.

I'll start with the engine. The graphics are good, better than FSX even at medium and, from a distance, low. Performance is better too, but then many things are missing.

Aircraft: I only have the Icon and the Stearmann, both are alright, better than default FSX but not a sight on paryware and decent freeware. The resolution of the cockpits is alright, way better than FSX but with the Icon's night lighting, the dials become blurry. My favourite feature of the cockpits is the lighting/selfshadowing, seeing the shadow of the wings moving over the fascia is something new to FS I believe. The flight dynamics are pretty good suprisingly, after looking at the promo videos it looked like they were flying like a DS game but in reality: brilliant. Again, a massive improvement over FSX (default). The aircraft handled suspiciously stable though with the arrow keys: but then, I have just mastered the art of flying with arrow keys in FSX (flying, not landing). A great feature of the FD is the ability to perform spins (I don't know how realistic, I've never flown a plane in real life), I tried mine in a 'job' which caused my passenger to throw up (complete with sound effects). I now have a 100% sick passenger rating (more on the pilot profile later). Next time I'll wait till an aerobatics mission before I try a loop.
    So all in all, the aircraft are a darn sight better then FSX but are not exactly FSX payware.

Scenery: In a word, brilliant. Dare I say it: ORBX level (except for ORBX's more detailed parts like their photoscenery areas) for the most part, landclass is perfect, aligning houses with drives and roads, no trees where photoscenery underlay houses are. This I think is FLIGHT's greatest leap forward. A word of warning though, from a distance the scenery is indistinguishable from FSX so if you see a screenshot with an island in the distance looking like a surfacing whale, give them a bit of slack. From close up, the taxiway texture resolution even at low settings is, yes my confidence has grown, ORBX level. You just can't knock it. So realistic. The airports are about FSX payware/excellent freeware (Max Kraus) quality, especially the textures. They lack dynamism though, no AI, planes cars or characters.

Interface: This is where FLIGHT is most 'arcadey'. You must (technically you should, you have a choice, but you won't get far without it) get a Games for Windows Live account which is actually an X-box account but made to sound less teenager-ish for oldies I guess. You get a pilot profile with stats such as, flight time, happy passengers, cargo hauled, highest flight, time spent inverted and all sorts of other useless and pointless yet 'fun' stats. And of course XP points, where you progress through levels to unlock new missions. When I first started FLIGHT, as mentioned by someone before, I was apprehensive because when you click play (the other menu options are GFWL related), you are taken and detained without trail int eh cockpit of the Icon, amde to fly a balloon course. Then you play another mission, taking your instructor to a wedding and your first water alnding for which you recieve a coconut bra (?). Then you are free, to explore the interface which is centred around a map of Hawaii where you can select an airport, mission or Free Flight. When you select an airport, you can select a job from the airport, usuall there are a few though most rely on the Maule Orion. These are three categories: freight, passenger, $100 hamburger (I have only flown the hamburger: I love the stereotype american, 'wow, you got your pilot's licence, now lets get a burger!'). The general game seems to be continous, when you complete a mission, then click free flight, you start where your plane was after the mission. Options include weather (presets only). The map conatins useful unformation about the airports. The last screen is the aerocache screen, right now, there anly four aerocaches, I found one by accident in free flight but you collect aerocaches to earn XP, then you move up a level and unlock more missions. It is a lot more career-based than MSFS. Overall, the interface is nice and slick, adn this continues into your flight where the top of the screen is dominated by and info bar including heading, airspeed etc, a bit like when you used to press shift>z in FS. After my hamburger flight, I opted to shut down with the checklist, which, once you're in the cockpit, highlights in order the switches you need to flick to shut down the aircraft. With the Icon, it's only about three but it's good learning. I don't have many new games (games developed in the past year) apart from take on Helicopters which is very similar in scenery, aircraft and the checklist idea. In fact, they're almost identical superficially except ToH has more intersting areas to fly in. Overall, I've spent more time on the menus than flying today. But I do that in FSX too.

Overall, I'm enjying FLIGHT. For now. I loved the FSX missions at first, collecting postcards and working up my hours. But after about, oh, perhaps, six months tops, interest (in missions)was gone. And that had the whole world. So FLIGHT perhaps doesn't have much of a future in it's current state. SOme might say I said that just to save myself, for traitorously siding with MS (which I didn't, I want to see a real FS12 as much as the next man). But FLIGHT has drawbacks too. I don't want to get started on how much I miss AI and crosswinds, because this review is too long anyway, so instead I'll talk about the drawbacks you can't tell form the screen-grabs. When I knew (before I had it,) FLIGHT had excellent scenery, planes like the Vans and Maule, I thought it would be an excellent GA sim. Some people still think it could be aan airliner sim. Or in fact, it might be good with third party. But no. For all the praise I've heaped on it, it is NOT a sim. Of any kind. And I think that because it's so rigid. That arcadey interface at the top of the screen, IT CANNOT GO AWAY, there is no 'alt' bar, a favourite of mine in the past. The list goes on. It is not the MSFS we know. But we already knew that, so I'll shut up now. You can still shoot me if you want, I've had my say and that was all I wanted.

PS. Yes I know I neglected to mention loads of glaring omissions but we discussed those to death before it was released

PPS. Also, why do people say 'played it for five minutes and hated it'. You probably think me saying that is hypocritical since I've only played for half an hour but I would hate it too if it was all a balloon course.

PPPS. Sorry about all the typos
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 03-01-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4400@2.00 GHz
    4.00 GB RAM (3GB useable: DDR2)
    Nvidia GEFORCE 9500 512MB Graphics Card
    Windows 7 32-bit

I'm still reading, but in case the heater repairman shows up, brrrr, wanted to mention:

Flew the Icon inverted past the yacht, did a couple loops, tried to reach the top of the mountain but it was taking too long too weak of a plane. I longed for my all powerful Klingon battle cruiser with photon torpedo!
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

Avsim review posted, written in similar style to mine. Just treat it like a review of any FS addon, don't say THIS IS A LOAD OF SH*T just because the reviewer said there were some good points. Really, everyone should play at least one mission, free flight, challenge and try out all planes before criticising the way the have done, saying 'I played for 5 mins and uninstalled' does not indicate and especially bad product, just a closed-minded user (not prepared to embrace the whole product and has atheir opinion formulated before they even downloaded it)

Think, if you just flew the first FSX mission, would you say it was amazing the way you do now? I think if you approached it in the same mindset as you did FLIGHT, FSX would be in the bottom of your trash can now. The first FSX missions are basically the same, fly a light aircraft, find balloons, learn to take off and land, the only difference with FLIGHT is you had your mind already made up.

(Especially) If you did say 'I flew for 10 mins' and think FLIGHT is so unworthy you won't even read the review, then you are missing out. Obviously you PHYSICALLY CAN'T have seen a fraction the things the reviewer saw in quadraple the time you spent, http://www.avsim.com/pages/0212/Microsoft/Flight.html
    Last edited by benEggleston16; 03-01-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    Windows 7 32-bit

I think I'm going to order Win 7 64, so won't have a system running until then except for linux. Win 8 cons prev installed Win 8 along side the old Win 8, Flight and FSX are still there in the "old windows install" however because of the many security layers Flight and FSX don't work any more. FS9 and I think Combat FLight SIm 3 still work. FS9 looks amazingly good with the sliders turned up.

Just saying, have to wait some time before Flight and FSX are back up and running. Might try the hamburger mission. Keep up the good work.
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

You must (technically you should, you have a choice, but you won't get far without it) get a Games for Windows Live account which is actually an X-box account but made to sound less teenager-ish for oldies I guess.
    It isn't isn't just an Xbox account either as a Hotmail account is also a Windows Live account. And they're now changing it to be "Microsoft Account".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_ID

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    It isn't isn't just an Xbox account either as a Hotmail account is also a Windows Live account. And they're now changing it to be "Microsoft Account".

I meant when you search for 'Games for WIndows Live' or sign up through the FLIGHT website, you are directed to the X-box website which confused me at first but then I realised all the accounts you mentioned were the same thing.
    Microsoft Account sounds a lot more respectable though.
    Windows 7 32-bit

That is a little confusing, and many here seem to associate the Live accounts with kids playing Xbox, when there is much more to it. Not to mention the average age of console users is much higher than many around here seem to assume (though the average does vary a bit, depending on the article and region).

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/23/ne...ps3-consumers/
    http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1199438p1.html

8. Default

My accounts been active since they started with ".net passport" The good old days. I don't think they owned the live.com domain back then.

If we want to discuss LIVE, can we do it in a new thread rather than hijack other's please
    Windows 7 32-bit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post

Yeah I have a Live account because I had hotmail before and now I use that for my blogging (Windows Live Writer).