Thread: PC Case size question

Question PC Case size question

I am about to order a new PC with a focus on running FSX and FS9.
    I've also read many comments on this forum to study what specs each
    PC parts are recommended, i.e. i7 2700K, GTX560ti, etc etc with adequate power and cooling
    considerations.

I have one remaining concern which I haven't been able to find tips for here
    and that is the size of the case.
    Since the motherboard size is ATX (or it said something like this), my PC store
    web site is recommending a mid-size tower case at default.
    There is one full-size case, which cost about US$100 additional,
    but has a nicer appearance with lots of fans on it.
    However, this is obviously larger than the mid-size.

Are ther any golden rule when choosing a case? Particularly related to its size?

Size doesn't matter(he-he), as long as everything fits inside it. What does matter most, is how efficient it's cooling arrangement is.
    The Antec larger Middies, HAF series from Coolermaster, and Corsair's upper end units are examples of middie cases with good to excellent cooling. There are many others.
    Your choice of CPU cooler could matter also. If you are going to use a water cooler, then look for a case that not only accommodates that, but, also offers added air flow to cool the RAM and power VRMs. Those items are normally cooled by the CPU fans.
    With CPU air cooling you want fresh cool air supplied at the intake end and efficient exhausting to expel that now hot air...Don
    Last edited by fxsttcb; 03-01-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Thank you for this valuable tip. As you say, it's not about the size but about its performance, eh? (ha ha)

I am planning to go with the liquid cooling as you mentioned.
    Did not know about
    I prefer smaller mid-size for its ease of fitting it under my desk, etc. but the full-size one I have my eye on
    has a lot of fans. Without giving you the details and only its pictures, any thoughts?

According to the store web site, this case has
    Front: 120mm fan 1
    Top: 120mm fan 1
    Left: 220mmLED fan x 1
    Right: 120mmLED fan x 1
    Back: 140mm fan x 1

Name:  dr_3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  9.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With both of those huge side fans and the front fan as intakes that beastie will definately keep the dust out! Plenty of options for air flow there.
    I assume that the fans are physically reversable, so, when you build it, get a cheap cigar and a sippy straw. You should be able to aim it pretty good through those huge fans.
    Then you'll be able to visualize the air flow, and flip fan direction to increase the air through the radiator and around the RAM...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Thank you much. I think I'll go with this case although it is larger than I'd like.
    Performance over size as selection criteria I suppose.

One thing I would recommend for anyone planning a new build as I just did, If you are going to add something like a Coolermaster 212 then make sure you get a case that is wide enough. Newegg lists the case measurements for all the cases they sell. I bought the Coolermaster 692 which has great cooling, it is 8.4 inches wide, the 212 has about 3/4 of an inch clearance.

I built with a Coolermaster HAF (high air flow). Best decision I ever made.
    And the large fans turn slower and are much quieter. OkBob

I suggest buying the components first then place them in the case you're interested in to see if they all fit. My last system was a really tight squeeze, had to remove a brace beam to be able to fit it all in.
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show