Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Start Free Flight with Engines off??

Default Start Free Flight with Engines off??

Is there a way to set Free Flight to start with engines off? I have looked at every setting I can find and searched the learning center but have found nothing. I suspect there must be a way that is hidden somewhere I just can't find. I think I remember one of the first 10 missions started out with engines off.
    If you can point me to the solution - Thanks for your help.
    Jerry
    FSX Gold; Windows 7 Home Premium x64; Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz quad-core w/Hyper Threading; ASUS P8P67 EVO LGA 1155; G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1333 (x4); EVGA GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) Superclocked 1280MB; 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB (setup in RAID 1 for mirroring); Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V

Quote Originally Posted by HondaJet View Post
    Is there a way to set Free Flight to start with engines off? I have looked at every setting I can find and searched the learning center but have found nothing. I suspect there must be a way that is hidden somewhere I just can't find. I think I remember one of the first 10 missions started out with engines off.
    If you can point me to the solution - Thanks for your help.
    Jerry

-Start the flight
    -press CTRL+SHIFT+F1 : engines will shut down.
    -save the flight
    now, every time you load that flight engines will be shut-off.

have a nice flight
    FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM-INTEL E5400-2.7GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWSXPSP3 -GT220GEFORCE
    if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....

3. Default

And just to add to lefu's tip, if you save the flight as default, all aircraft will have engines off if you chose another aircraft from the free flight menu.

uriahms Guest

I'm wondering if he meant if there was a way to make all free flights start engines off. What I mean is, with the way you guys suggested only one start up position (default flight method) or a fixed number of flights (save flights method) would start with cold and dark. Is there a way to edit a cfg file so that when you pick your airport, time of day, weather etc, the flight will always start with engines off?

No, not using the Free flight Screen planning a new flight. The only way is to load a saved flight that has the engines off.

If you save a flight with engines off and set it as the default flight when saving, (as nevern said) then all flights you'll start from free flight will start with engines off. No matter what airplane or airport (some Payware addon airplanes excluded)

Harro

We know that, but again, using the Free Flight Screen and planning a new flight will have the engines On, everytime, all the time.

Yes, a new flight planed from the free flight screen will start with engines on. Unless you are using some addon planes as WILCO's
    wich can be set to cold and dark before starting FSX.
    If i was you i will start the flight and shut the engines off with ctrl+shift+F1. thats it.
    FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM-INTEL E5400-2.7GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWSXPSP3 -GT220GEFORCE
    if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....

Thanks guys, great info and I really appreciate your time and such quick response.
    Jerry
    FSX Gold; Windows 7 Home Premium x64; Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz quad-core w/Hyper Threading; ASUS P8P67 EVO LGA 1155; G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1333 (x4); EVGA GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) Superclocked 1280MB; 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB (setup in RAID 1 for mirroring); Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    We know that, but again, using the Free Flight Screen and planning a new flight will have the engines On, everytime, all the time.
    Then your experience is very different from mine. If I save a cold and dark flight as the "Default Flight" (it's a good idea to use one of FSX's default aircraft for this), then anytime I go into the Free Flight screen and set up something to fly, I will start with the engines off and everything dark. There are some payware exceptions--those that are set up to start with the cockpit cold and dark. Those will usually now start "hot".

If you want to take it even a step further, you can backup [b]FLTSIM.FLT[/] in the (Your FSX installation)\Flights\other directory and copy/paste the Cold&Dark saved flight in its place. Just rename the pasted file: fltsim.flt and you're good to go.

Rich